Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Door to door advice!!!!

I'm just starting a lawn care biz and have been going door to door trying to get new clients. I have biz cards and bid sheets made up that I can give to them if they ask for one? Ive been knocking on the doors and talking one on one with the customer. My question is has anybody tried this marketing idea? If so what have you found that works for you? I had a coat embroidered for me and some t-shirts to wear. What is the best way to start talking to them? Do you have a way to introduce yourself that wont be an immediate turnoff? Any advice would be greatly appreiciated!!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The fact that your knocking on their door is an immediate turnoff!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Why do you think this is a turnoff? I've gotten 8 new clients already by going door to door? What would you recommend then? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe you don't see how this could be a turnoff. It is a turnoff because you are bothering people at their HOME, in their most personal space when they may be asleep, or even eating with their families. Don't you hate when you get phone calls from telemarketers? Well, knocking on doors is 10x worse! That's why all lot of neighborhoods have "no solicitation signs". But if you see no ethical problem with it, then by all means... and if you already got 8 new clients then you are doing good and don't need to be asking for advice. How many doors did it take to gain those 8 customers?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

If this is a turnoff then what should I do for advertising then? I'm not looking for negitave comments! Just helpful advice to market to new customers? Should I leave a flier? Buy yard signs? Any advice would be appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fliers would be better than what you are doing now because it would save you a lot of time and you wouldn't be bothering people. If they are interested, they can call you on their own terms and not yours. Never tried yard signs so I can't comment on that. I've got all my customers in many different ways including fliers, word of mouth, having a web site, having signs on my trailer. If you do a good job customers will refer you to friends and neighbors. A lot of times while I'm mowing, neighbors of customers will come up to me to ask for estimates just because they've seen me there on a regular basis and seen my work. This has been happening even before I got trailer signs
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Chin up Joe . This is how I started 13 years ago and it works!! People seemed to be impressed by the gumption it takes to go and present yourself and your service. They actually see who is going to be on their property and get to interact with you in a vulnerable state. Even if they don't need your service they may refer you and you meet someone in the area. Always good. It worked for me and many others Don't be scared and give more garbage to people, keep showing your face and promoting your service, you ARE correct in your actions!! Good luck.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the incouragment! I'll let you know how it goes? The only problem I face is getting discouraged. Thanks!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

People have been selling door to door since there have been doors. It works. Some people will get annoyed, but you're always going to have someone get annoyed, doesn't matter what you're doing.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

door to door

thats good you have that kind of dedication to make it work stay at it . just be ready when you knock own that door of opportunity .Have a sales plan don't get nervous have it word for word what to say and know what your talking about .All you have to do is stay at it don't stop pushing to you find out what works the best try every door different until you find out what works best for you .Then when they say well tell me about it or give me a estimate let them start doing the talking you listen then all you have to do is sell them what they want. Let them do 85% of the talking .have you made you a flyer? to put in the stores around your town .if not let me know i will help you out i have some letters made up to that are really good mowing letters mulching spring planting ,just about anything you would need all you will have to do is save it and take my companies name out and put yours in there.