Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
I'm guilty of not creating a mobile version of my site. Although I've checked it out and most of it works pretty well on my mobile phone.

The thing is, I don't really see it being all that much of a problem. The biggest part of our business is landscape construction. Typical client will spend between $10K - $30K. I just don't see that client getting on their cell phone to find the contractor who they want to spend that kind of money with and then making the call. I think they'd probably take a little more time and look us up in a little more detail on a real computer before they consider dropping that kind of scratch.

The second biggest item we do is weekly maintenance. And I feel similar about that scenario too.

I think it's really common for people to use cell phones to find a restaurant, shop, salon, shipping center, the closest red box, etc. But I don't envision too many people looking up their contractor on a phone and then making a call just based on the [very little] they were able to see on a 2" wide screen.

So I'm not so convinced that it's all that important for companies in our industry to have a mobile site.
I can't 100% agree with you!

Over HALF of all local internet searches are done on mobile phones.

See more mobile internet usage stats here:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=357951

Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah. I understand all that. I just don't think a very high percentage of people who are looking for a new $20K landscape installation or are looking for a good company to provide full weekly landscape maintenance are really using their phones to find those guys. I read the other page you link to. I understand people are using phones while they're on the couch, etc. I do that too. But I'm not looking for a pest control company, window cleaning service, or guy to re-roof my house. I'd actually get off my A$$ if I wanted to go look for something like that. Mostly what I'm doing is trying to look up that actor I just saw on IMDB so I can see where I recognize him from, or maybe I'm checking out the time of the NBA game or something. But I'm not shopping for services for my home or landscape. I seriously doubt anyone is.

We get the vast majority of our new leads through our website. Over a dozen calls and another dozen emails a day throughout the busy season. And I've never had one of those callers say, "You know what? I sure wish I could see your website on my phone a little better!" Instead, they're usually saying something like, "We found you guys on the internet. Really love your website. We're in the market for _______ and wanted to see about getting a free estimate."

I understand people are using their phones to search for lots of things these days. I just don't think it's necessarily stuff like what we sell.

I will, one day, have a mobi site built. If nothing else, just to capture the very small percentage of people who maybe are using their phones to search for a service like mine. I just haven't done it yet because I feel like the % of people who are using their phones for a service like ours is really small. Most callers tell us they've been looking out our site for a while. I doubt it was on their cell phone. But I'll agree that there probably is a small percentage who do it. I'm not sure I'm losing their business. My site comes up just as good as any of my main competitor's do, at this point. But I'll make one anyway, one day. Just already so busy with people who use a regular computer calling us that it hasn't really been much of a priority.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, I will probably make a mobile one eventually but I need to start focusing on other things. Like I said this has taken me awhile because I am learning hoe to do this. I am always open for the criticism so at any point please let me know if something sucks. Keep in mind better pics this spring, and the links in the carousel are going to be fixed as soon as I figure out the problem. The carousel will have 4 things it flips through. Also I have to set up my keywords which seems like its going to be a job in itself.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There's also the caveat that you don't need a .mobi extension for your site to be "mobile". Any site can be made to be mobile digestible (or if you use Wordpress, it's a piece of cake via plugin), creating a "build once, view on anything" site.

@Phillie - Are you referring to setting up your keywords in the header's meta tags of your pages or are you talking about integrating them into your site's content? If the meta tag, don't stress yourself out. Google doesn't factor them in at all, and Bing/Yahoo use them more as a marker for possible spam/content-stuffed site identification. Just build good page content and you'll be fine. For peace of mind, if you want to add good, useful, relevant keywords to your pages meta tags, by all means do. (If any sites would use keywords for SEO, it would be the high-end web development consultancies themselves. In looking at the first 4 Google search results right now, I see none. Fwiw, I don't use them either.)

@JimLewis - "But I'm not shopping for services for my home or landscape. I seriously doubt anyone is."

With all due respect, this is just plain wrong. In looking at two of my clients Analytics pages right now, one gutter contractor I work with shows (as of this moment) 21% of his hits YTD as being via mobile devices. Of those, 58% are coming from scanning his yard sign QR code, the other are direct type-ins.

Another client, a very large online retailer of boat parts and refurb materials (and a site that should fall under your classification of something people would historically search from a computer) has their # of mobile visitors rise every month. MTD, with 17k unique visitors, 9.8% of those are via mobile devices. I'll throw in the number, just because it's interesteing how it's rising, but 5.5% of the total visitors are on iPads.

Having a site that's viewable on a mobile device is another marketing tool that leads to the all-important first contact by the customer, which as we all know, is the hard part. When I say "first contact", I'm referring to their first interaction with "you", whether it be by looking at your ad, actually looking at a door hanger, calling you, or visiting your web site. An easy example of capturing this via mobile are people out for a neighborhood walk or driving past a work site with your sign in the yard. If you have your web address on it (or a QR code), your chances of them immediately visiting your site, or entering it into their phone to view later, go up greatly. If not, people are very good at thinking "I'll have to look them up when I get home." and then never following through, or even remembering to do so. Always remember that if someone sees your work in their neighborhood, that's one way you've already pre-qualified yourself for your customer, and vice versa.

Another thing people should keep in mind...phones are a way around corporate internet usage policies. Quite a bit of customers pre-qualifying potential contractors work is done on the bosses dime, whether from their work computer or phone during work hours.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post

@Phillie - Are you referring to setting up your keywords in the header's meta tags of your pages or are you talking about integrating them into your site's content? If the meta tag, don't stress yourself out. Google doesn't factor them in at all, and Bing/Yahoo use them more as a marker for possible spam/content-stuffed site identification. Just build good page content and you'll be fine. For peace of mind, if you want to add good, useful, relevant keywords to your pages meta tags, by all means do. (If any sites would use keywords for SEO, it would be the high-end web development consultancies themselves. In looking at the first 4 Google search results right now, I see none. Fwiw, I don't use them either.)
Honestly, it may be metatags.. Its all new to me. I am paying godaddy $30 a year for something to do with key words optimization. Would that be to meta tags or something else? Im so confused. haha. Aya aye aye.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
Honestly, it may be metatags.. Its all new to me. I am paying godaddy $30 a year for something to do with key words optimization.
I don't use GoDaddy for anything but domain names, but in looking at their service offerings, I'm guessing you bought their Search Engine Visibility product?
http://www.godaddy.com/search-engine/seo-services.aspx

If so, you can do the exact same for free. I think Greg here has posted quite a few links that will accomplish the same, so I won't rehash.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im having trouble figuring out why the links in the carousel arent working..Does anyone have an idea?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Phillie, the Nivo Slider is famous for odd "quirks" in it's function. For kicks, try turning on the slide captioning and have the caption as the link and let me know if it works for you. Also, because it's widely used, there should be a ton of answers for your issue, or at least something to get you on the right path. My guess is it's a CSS problem as that's often the issue with sliders.