Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2003, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Who here does this part time?

It seems that a lot of us are in Telecom. I run a satellite uplink facility for a nationwide paging provider. As with all Telcom jobs I am losing mine soon. (by 7-31-03 at the latest) I am hoping to get some business this year, but I am hoping that by next Spring I will get into it full swing. I already have my equipment picked out, and all I am waiting for is a quote for business insurance and a commerical auto policy for my truck. I plan on purchasing my equipment on my AMEX Blue card. They are giving me 5.9% on all purchases made using their checks. I think for me that is the best way to do it. I figure that after buying equipment, and making the first insurance payments, this can all be done for less than $10K. I am hoping to have enough money to get some door hangers and flyers made up. After being in the Telecom business for the last 7 years I am tired of the uncertainty of working for someone else. I am hoping to be successful on my own, and if I fail I will only have to blame myself. I will be working for a friend part-time as a mechanic, just so I know I have some sort of reliable income. Sorry for rambling on, but I just have a lot on my mind. I am very nervous about taking this giant step. All suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you intend to be a solo guy, or maybe have a helper off and on, find a part time job, or "low hour" full time job (as myself) that offers benefits ( vacation time, SEP, sick pay, hospitalization). It's almost worth the effort to keep the job with benefits, as your "core" salary and mow "part time" for the big bucks.
In a nut shell, if you don't mind working extra hours which you would do for a fair amount of time, anyway, to build your business, it's not a bad life having a "low pressure, high security" full time basic paying job with beneifits and mow part time for high dollars.
Pete
Old 06-14-2003, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

As soon as my job ends I will have excellent benefits through my wifes employer. I will work part time as a mechanic on rainy days, and in the off season. The rest of the time I plan to mow my *** off. The hard part is even though I won't be running my lawn care biz full time, I still plan on having business insurance and commercial auto insurance. I would also like to get whatever I need to apply chemicals. I am not exactly sure yet what all I need to do this in NJ.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For the Pesticide Info:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...t=NJ+Pesticide

"The hard part is even though I won't be running my lawn care biz full time, I still plan on having business insurance and commercial auto insurance."

This is a must, even though you are part time for now. Don't think of it as a "hard part", it's just a part of being in business, just like buying the mower you're getting, soliciting customers, etc. etc. Just make sure you price your services to cover those expenses & you will be fine. I started while working a full time job that often took up 50 -60 hrs\week for 2 or 3 years before going full time with it. Good luck & have fun.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm doing it part time. I have a job but plan on retiring early and using a few accounts to supplement my retirement income. I don't undercut anyone. As a matter of fact, I'm high for my area but I take my time and do a good job. For instance, many of the homes in my area are built in old pecan groves. A lot of the guys mowing in this area "mow" the limbs that fall out of these trees daily. It sounds like hell when they are mowing and they run over anything under about 1-1/2 inches. I don't. It takes me about 15 minutes to get up the limbs and the customers I am picking up are using me because they get all the services of the other guys plus their limbs picked up. I have to charge more to cover that extra 15 minutes but they are willing and I'm able so we have a match. Why the extra trouble? Cause even though this will be supplemental income, it will still have to cover the costs of the truck, trailer, mower, fuel, insurance, etc and I've been in the situation where I was undercut by someone just killing time. It's hard to get customers back "up" to a decent price after someone does that.