Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone miss judge the amount of mulch needed?

Just wondering how y'all handle mulch job quotes and if you ever mess up on the amount of mulch needed? When your giving a quote, let say for 20yds, do you say " I'll do the job for X" or do you say " It should be around 20yds so i'll do 20yds for X, if it takes a little more it will be extra" Ive done it both ways,(1) one set price and (2) give the exact price at the end. Just depends on who im doing the job for and what kind of job it is. Which way do you all do it that is the best. Let say you do it the first way and after 20yds your 2 short. You would have to eat that. After all, we can get the amount close, and it is spot on some times, but we all mess up here and there. ( I probably didn't word option 2 right but you get my point). Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Starting out I made this mistake several times and ate the cost for my mistake. It sucks having to go get another half yard or having to find a place to dump some leftovers. I've gotten alot better at getting it right the first time know.

Last edited by knox gsl; 02-18-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, we've under and over calculated at times. Had to eat it, dump it, get over it and learn from it.

We too have gotten A LOT better at getting it right the first time.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok thanks guys. So you all give them a set price from the start. What if its a really big job, let say 100 yds? Would you go about it the same way. Just seems like the bigger the job the more you might end up eating or dumping if you dont get it perfect.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I seem to always estimate high and have about 1\2 to a yard left over. I always say it will cost X amount in the beginning. I have all colors in my yard too.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious why you guys have to dump it?

Do you not have yards?

Why not save until the next job? Top up a good client for free and save on weeding.

Just seems like a waste to simply "dump it"

As for charging. The bigger the job, the more likely you are to have to give a set price and stick to it, regardless of if you miscalculate.

When people spend large amounts of money they want a budget and to stick it.

If you estimate it correctly, you should only have the balance of a yard/half yard. If you don't perhaps you're not distributing uniformly.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. I have never misjudged. It's all in the measuring. Then there is a simple equation to calculate cubic yards. We use bulk. No mulch in bags here, that is too expensive.Only home owners buy bags at home depot for do it yourself mess ups.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

It seems as though I always tend to over estimate the amount of mulch needed on a particular property. However, it has never been a drastic amount and the customer is always happy to have an additional area mulched with the excess mulch. Mulching is labor intensive work, but even when mistakes are made it still proves to be highly profitable.