Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

and when you get this tell me how to pm you please i am new on here and i can send you some cool stuff
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to bother friend but I would love one of those letter proofs. I have had my small business since I was 16, now 20 and a full time student in college. I have some flyers but I havent had much luck. I am really wanting to increase residential base this yr. If not I understand but thanks for your time!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

getting back

how can i pm them or can you send me your email i get you some letters and stuff i bought this kit it is all professional made letters all flyer it also has a bid calculator if i can send it ill try to just send you the whole kit do you now how i could do that . its a how to start a lawn care business kit . i have been in business for 21 years and it really helped me out . it has some good stuff in it that you need to know ..
Old 02-19-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

question

where is smith county TN ? I am in knoxville TN. i may be able to just meet you and give them to you i go all over TN .
Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procut lawn expert View Post
where is smith county TN ? I am in knoxville TN. i may be able to just meet you and give them to you i go all over TN .
it is 30 miles west of cookeville. I go to school at ttu. So I am in cookeville alot also. My email is shaun_webster12@yahoo.com. If you wanted to meet that would be fine with me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Marketing 101: Face-to-face personal contact beats anonymous literature of any type, any day of the week. You are doing the right thing.

Yes, some contacts will be turned off, just as some are turned off when you leave fliers (as is discussed elsewhere on this site). Those people were already in your "NO" column. Others will see what I see, which is someone with a good work ethic and courage, someone with who will communicate with them directly from the get-go. I suspect customers you gain this way will remain loyal customers longer than customers you gain through anonymous fliers.

That's the encouragement part. Now for the advice part:

Turn some of those NO's into future YES's. Always thank them for listening to you. Always ask them to accept your card in case they need you in the future. They may really mean NO, then find out they need lawn care a few weeks later (broken leg, new job requires travel, any number of reasons). They will remember you and be the first that they call.

Always ask them to help you by keeping 5 of your business card to give to friends and neighbors if they should encounter anyone who needs lawn care, or in case they should need it in the future. People (generally) won't mind if you ask them to help this way and you'll be surprised how many will rise to the occasion.

If you get referrals this way, always call the referring person to thank them, and add them to your Christmas card list, even if the person is not a customer.

Good Luck. I believe you will do well.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Sponsor

If you are afraid of turning people off then how about just leaving a great looking door hanger! A professional looking door hanger won't be bothersome & is a great way to make that initial contact & get noticed. Our door hangers are different because our Band-It attachment can be used to secure it to the door knob (won't blow off from the wind) and Stick-It allows your customer to stick it safely to their fridge. They will be so impressed that they won't mind a bit!

Take a look at our video explaining:
http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers

We have free design options & a HUGE gallery of lawn care images. Call me & I will send you a free sample pack plus our gallery images!

Robin Christopherson

A'DEAS Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products

www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 204
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211
Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

If you don't stop to knock on the door you can cover a lot more area. I suggest leaving flyers with an actual quote rather than just general company info. Those have been very effective for us.

Do your subs typically have common areas to be cut? If so, knock on a few doors and ask who to contact in the Home Owners Association. My experience is you knock on maybe 5 doors or so and some one will cough up the name of the HOA president (or other board member) just to make you go away. Those are they guys you want to talk to in person. A lot of times they'll just point to a house and say "it's that guy." Write down the address and look up the person in Whitepages.com.

Chris
Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Member

k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswebster42 View Post
it is 30 miles west of cookeville. I go to school at ttu. So I am in cookeville alot also. My email is shaun_webster12@yahoo.com. If you wanted to meet that would be fine with me.
Posted via Mobile Device
i will be coming through there friday and the next monday i will be coming back from western KY and i can meet you own the way out, or own the way back monday.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am 28 years in this business and I will tell you first hand, that face to face is the number one way to gain sales. Do NOT be afraid to approach. Approach with confidence. If you believe in the product or service you are selling, it makes you stronger. Don't be discouraged to hear "no". It is going to happen, and it is going to be the vast majority of the time. However, don't be afraid to ask why, and let them know that you are the owner of the company. That is huge. there are several other points I could go over as well, but you get the jest of it. As far as the person or persons that state that it is a big "turnoff", yeah,...it may be for a few homeowners, and that may be the posters own opinion, but I am telling you, sales works. It is business. It has been like that for years and years (centuries, actually), and will always continue to be like that. From the vacuum cleaner salesman, to the lighting distributor that visits stores, to the food vendors that visit stores, to the fertilizer or seed salesperson who visits the farmers, to the hundreds of other product and service sales people that canvas neighborhoods.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.