Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

iongen sytems Tadpole

Tadpole, have you seen or know of any studies or information on these systems? My supplier was telling me about them and I just dismissed the sytem as I do with most new UV systems etc. After looking more into the system I'm curious to see how they work.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have installed them on two large koi ponds and have had great success. You do have to make sure that the client can monitor the unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
We have installed them on two large koi ponds and have had great success. You do have to make sure that the client can monitor the unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Can you go into a little more detail on the client aspect? Does it kill the string algae or just suspended algae?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
Tadpole, have you seen or know of any studies or information on these systems? My supplier was telling me about them and I just dismissed the sytem as I do with most new UV systems etc. After looking more into the system I'm curious to see how they work.
Keith- These devices, contrary to any advertising hype or anecdotal reports, are NOT safe. Read my blog post on this subject http://ripplesinc.blogspot.com/2011/...-be-judge.html. There is also an article in the latest issue of Water Garden News concerning these devices.
The previous post by "heads77" mentions the warning flag, that being that the device must be monitored.
With these devices, Caveat emptor is spot on.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Heres my two cents on this subject.. I never use this product if their are fish present in the system. I only use them in pondless functions. NO matter how you look at it copper is copper and it is bad for fish. It will build up over time and that is the problem w them. If you use one now it may take yrs to build up toxic levels in your fish but once it does puff they belly up and your customer is call you complaining. You cant leave the monitering up to customers cause they wont do it. Another problem ive found is that your constant adjusting there is no happy medium for them. They are great for pondless apps so ill stick to using them there. Read your article tad very informative... two thumbs up my friend!:cool2:
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As you say, ionizers are ideal for non-life supporting features. In fact, I would strongly recommend their use on any indoor water feature. There have been documented cases of Legionnaire's caused by contaminated indoor features. Copper ionization eliminates this potential risk.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, as mentioned above, if the levels of copper get too high it can harm the fish. But, when monitored, it can be effective. I am not a scientist so I won't argue long term safety. Most of my koi clients have fish that are worth thousands of dollars- so they are very well monitored. We have had no issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Yes, as mentioned above, if the levels of copper get too high it can harm the fish. But, when monitored, it can be effective. I am not a scientist so I won't argue long term safety. Most of my koi clients have fish that are worth thousands of dollars- so they are very well monitored. We have had no issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
You may not see any symptoms of Copper toxicity for years. No long term tests have been done with these devices. One should, however, keep in mind that Copper, like all other Heavy Metals is a bio-accumulate. It is retained primarily in the liver and also the kidneys of all fish. Once the lethal level is reached, fish mortality WILL occur. Any client that is presently using these devices or is contemplating their use should be apprised of this long term risk. Failure to do so could lead to litigation, especially in regards to the more expensive Koi, and the contractor will be the one left holding the bag, not the manufacturer.
It is my understanding that Atlantic is considering changing their marketing and recommending their device ONLY for non-life supporting features.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info Tad, and great blog post! I guess it really doesn't matter since I haven't built a pond in a few years. I need to change the name to St. Louis Waterfalls.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Great info on the blog Tad, good job.What ever happen to K.I.S.S everyone is looking to manufacture the miracle cure and forgetting to work with mother nature. It really is simple the correct size filter, the right amount of plants and do not over feed or put to many fish in your pond and all this equals a happy customer. Just my to cents