Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
What kind of mileage are you getting on average with your setup?
What kind of mileage are you expecting to get with your new setup? I am interested as we have two large controllable cost in our industry that effect our bottom line dramatically and that is labor and fuel, so if the potential to have more room while saving is there I am all for it.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I assume I'll get around 8mpg. I'll save in maintenance on the trailer as mine is tandem and I go through $500 in tires every year alone on that stupid thing. Tire scrub sucks turning on the tandems. Also, I only currently get around 9-10 mpg my computer says 12.5 but it lies. 2010 f150 supercab 4.6 3 valve. I know I'm going to spend more in fuel but in my situation I've out grown one do it all trailer into needing a dump and hauling a dump behind my little f150 every day would really suck. That brings out the need for a mowing trailer and a dump trailer. I could kill both birds with a small dump truck. Also, this frees up my f150 to do estimates and I could in theory have two guys mow a few lawns and drive the other truck while I run and do a few estimates and catch up later on. Then there is the situation where to park the extra trailer so reoccurring storage fees come into play. I can fit a dump truck into my shop beside my house. I would have to leave one trailer out and this could become a loss from theft or to the eliminates.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are just doing basic lawn care ( mow,trim,edge,blowdown, and a little hedging) then a good solution is any full size pick up (v-6)with a ramp in place of tailgate..racks bolt to top rail of bed and we eliminate the trailer altogether....as far as hauling debris we just bag/bundle everything and leave for the customers hauler...as most are paying for it in their taxes anyway....(large amounts of debris say from a major clean up is a different story and would be hauled away by a different rig and billed according to the estimate of the job) day to day maintenance needs to be extremely efficient in order to make a good net $$.......we are running lower hp. mowers with slightly smaller decks...a 25-27hp and more is not an efficient way to do small residential accts. we can burn through 12 gallons in one day with our 52-70 inch 27-30hp mowers in a day.....and yes they cut a ton of grass every day but cost a lot to run...the accts that they do pay for them....a small residential house is not profitable enough to cover the operating cost of these mowers....our residential crews are running 17-18hp 44-48 inch decks and can run all day on 6 gallons....and cut the same amount of lawns in a day...the only way a big mower pays off is when its going non-stop 8 hrs a day.....not stop and go all day on a resi. route or when you get the 3 ft tall clean ups......btw...the trucks in this set up are avg 18-20 mpg

Last edited by MR-G; 02-22-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
If you are just doing basic lawn care ( mow,trim,edge,blowdown, and a little hedging) then a good solution is any full size pick up (v-6)with a ramp in place of tailgate..racks bolt to top rail of bed and we eliminate the trailer altogether....as far as hauling debris we just bag/bundle everything and leave for the customers hauler...as most are paying for it in their taxes anyway....(large amounts of debris say from a major clean up is a different story and would be hauled away by a different rig and billed according to the estimate of the job) day to day maintenance needs to be extremely efficient in order to make a good net $$.......we are running lower hp. mowers with slightly smaller decks...a 25-27hp and more is not an efficient way to do small residential accts. we can burn through 12 gallons in one day with our 52-70 inch 27-30hp mowers in a day.....and yes they cut a ton of grass every day but cost a lot to run...the accts that they do pay for them....a small residential house is not profitable enough to cover the operating cost of these mowers....our residential crews are running 17-18hp 44-48 inch decks and can run all day on 6 gallons....and cut the same amount of lawns in a day...the only way a big mower pays off is when its going non-stop 8 hrs a day.....not stop and go all day on a resi. route or when you get the 3 ft tall clean ups......

Sorry I just don't see how anyone leaves debris at the curb at a customers house. First off, its against almost all the city codes here in CFL. Secondly, it looks like crap; nice lawn and hedges with 4 bags of trash on the curb.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry I just don't see how anyone leaves debris at the curb at a customers house. First off, its against almost all the city codes here in CFL. Secondly, it looks like crap; nice lawn and hedges with 4 bags of trash on the curb.
It just depends on what type of service they have chosen ..if they are a lower end budget type acct they get the debris...if they are a more full service client then they will get our full service crew and they have a dump....we have different crews for our different levels of service....
Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Bc we can here. The customer is already paying taxes for it why would they want to pay me again for the same thing? Plus I don't have to make trips to the dump or fill my truck up with debris.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess but I would have different business names all together if I were to do that. I looked into mowing foreclosures and setup a DBA for that just so I didn't get customers confused on hack work vs quality work.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I guess but I would have different business names all together if I were to do that. I looked into mowing foreclosures and setup a DBA for that just so I didn't get customers confused on hack work vs quality work.
I agree...and we do just that....our clients are very well aware that we have 3 levels of service....but its is all the same co. name and hasnt been a problem for us...as far as forclosures go, we wont touch them....too much red tape and crap taking pictures, waiting to get paid, ect..but i do know guys that seem to do ok with them....
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
One of the wealthiest areas here allows contractors to leave vegetation on the street and I will tell you there is nothing wrong with the quality. These are super high end homes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
One of the wealthiest areas here allows contractors to leave vegetation on the street and I will tell you there is nothing wrong with the quality. These are super high end homes.
Posted via Mobile Device
West Palm Beach
Yard Waste: Public Utilities , Sanitation Department (822-2075) collects yard waste once per week, on a regularly scheduled basis. The following is our standard schedule for pick-up:

Monday: Zone # 1 24 th St. North to City line.
Tuesday: Zone # 2 Okeechobee Blvd. South to Southern Blvd. West of Olive Ave.
Wednesday Zone # 3 East of Olive Ave from Barcelona South to City line.
Thursday Zone # 4 Okeechobee Blvd. North thru 23 rd St .
Friday Zone # 5 Southern Blvd. to City line West of Olive Ave.

Residue should be stacked neatly at the curb. The following limitations apply: Tree trunks may not exceed 12 inches in diameter and 3 Ft. in length, tree branches should be no more than 4 to 6 feet in length, grass and weeds must be bagged. There is a ten-yard limit (4 feet high by 4 feet wide - 17 feet long) limit on yard waste piles and there may be no more than one pile per home per week. Note : The City does not collect yard waste left by landscape and lawn service companies. Service companies are responsible for the removal of all debris and trimmings from the property.
[Back to top of page]

BTW I looked up three other citys on the south east coast all say the same thing.