Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
One of the wealthiest areas here allows contractors to leave vegetation on the street and I will tell you there is nothing wrong with the quality. These are super high end homes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here in our area..the days of hauling away for peanuts are over....even in the higher end communities....they would rather have a more affordable rate.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry you have the wrong area-look up palm beach island
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
Same here in our area..the days of hauling away for peanuts are over....even in the higher end communities....they would rather have a more affordable rate.
There are areas here in which you must take vegetation with you and the amount of landscaping at these homes will fill up a dump very quick. Sorry, but if your not charging for that there is a problem. Not you, just in general. You have to factor in time to the dump, time at the dump, fuel, etc. My high end customers have no problem with me leaving vegetation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm lucky I have a burn pit and I also have a very good connection with a nursery that takes my debris for like 30 bucks I can bring a whole dump truck load of crap dirt etc as long as there isn't any non vegetation in it. Nursery is 1/4 mile from my house.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I'm lucky I have a burn pit and I also have a very good connection with a nursery that takes my debris for like 30 bucks I can bring a whole dump truck load of crap dirt etc as long as there isn't any non vegetation in it. Nursery is 1/4 mile from my house.
its still 30.00 plus travel time for driver, fuel, mileage, ect.....its costing you more than you think.....we only haul away if the customer opts to have that as part of their service....and it costs them more...they either want or not...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
its still 30.00 plus travel time for driver, fuel, mileage, ect.....its costing you more than you think.....we only haul away if the customer opts to have that as part of their service....and it costs them more...they either want or not...
Not really costing me anything I haven't accounted for. I know about how much trimmings I'm going to have to take. I wait until my trailer is ready to go and make a full dump. It's a 1/4 mile from the house and takes 30 minutes max to start the truck to turn the truck off back at the house. I give myself 10 bucks in labor. I usually only have to go when I do Sod jobs or cutouts for beds or hardscapes. I can just throw the hedge clippings or palm clippings in with those loads. Essentially I double dip most of the time. The hardwood I keep for the fire pit when we have family and friends get together at the house around the pool etc.... Sometimes I'll fire the smoker up and burn some hard wood in it then I'll throw some in the fire pit.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
FL,

This could be true for someone like you that is doing installs, topdressing, verticutting and of course large commercial mulch jobs...but for most of us simple lawn turds...light matters for getting the mowers from point a to point b.
Absolutely true, one size doesn't fit all, you need what works for your situation. I just wanted to point out a few things to think about.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought an F450 dump last year with an 8' x 12' bed. It works great pulling a trailer with my 48" Turf Tracer and 60" lazer with more than enough room in the bed of the truck for debris for spring and fall cleanups. I built underbody toolboxes to hold blowers, gas cans, tools, etc. and mounted my trimmer racks on the wooden stake sides that I built. This way, during the spring and summer, I can run my regular maintenance routes with just the truck and the removable dovetail and ramp that I built to load my mowers directly onto my truck. Works great and very versatile.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhuntr40 View Post
I bought an F450 dump last year with an 8' x 12' bed. It works great pulling a trailer with my 48" Turf Tracer and 60" lazer with more than enough room in the bed of the truck for debris for spring and fall cleanups. I built underbody toolboxes to hold blowers, gas cans, tools, etc. and mounted my trimmer racks on the wooden stake sides that I built. This way, during the spring and summer, I can run my regular maintenance routes with just the truck and the removable dovetail and ramp that I built to load my mowers directly onto my truck. Works great and very versatile.
That's good to hear. I'm still looking for a decent gas dump. I bet that dove is heavy to remove.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

It isn't that hard to remove. I can do it by myself. It removes in two pieces, first the ramp then the dovetail. I'm actually planning to fashion some sort of "legs" on it so that I can remove/install it in one piece by just backing up to it and installing a few hitch pins. Good luck with the search!