Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
93Chevy's Avatar
93Chevy 93Chevy is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,139
LOL, who cares if he's an arrogant prick? He's right. He's the only member on this site that gives consistently correct answers about CDL and DOT requirements. State Troopers and Trailer Dealers are not reliable sources of DOT information. State Troopers think they know all the DOT laws and the Trailer Dealers blow smoke. And don't bother calling the DOT office because you can't get a straight answer from a bureaucrat. You just have to read the laws yourself and/or talk to somebody who knows the laws better than yourself.
__________________
"Please report all incidents of vomitus and fecal contamination to management immediately"

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
LOL, who cares if he's an arrogant prick? He's right. He's the only member on this site that gives consistently correct answers about CDL and DOT requirements. State Troopers and Trailer Dealers are not reliable sources of DOT information. State Troopers think they know all the DOT laws and the Trailer Dealers blow smoke. And don't bother calling the DOT office because you can't get a straight answer from a bureaucrat. You just have to read the laws yourself and/or talk to somebody who knows the laws better than yourself.
Shouldn't you base your information on what the State Trooper says, since he'll be the guy writing you tickets? What's right or wrong doesn't matter as much as what will get you ticketed for, does it?
__________________
Hutchinson, Kansas
Kansas Certified 3b Applicator
Mowers-Trucks-Trailers-Snow Equipment-Application Equipment-Etc

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
If the trailer is over 10k, though, you need a Class A CDL, no matter what you are pulling it with.
WRONG.

(Short enough answer for ya?)
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 PM
93Chevy's Avatar
93Chevy 93Chevy is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Shouldn't you base your information on what the State Trooper says, since he'll be the guy writing you tickets? What's right or wrong doesn't matter as much as what will get you ticketed for, does it?
State Troopers enforce the law, they don't write it or interpret it. I'm not knocking state troopers by any means, but there's tons of tiny little laws (like you can run a 26k truck and 10k trailer and not need a Class A). It's hard to be 100% current on every little law. My buddy has had to deal with a couple cops who were incorrect in the past, dealing both with emissions regulations and proper equipment strapping. Not CDL per se, but my point is the same: cops can be wrong.

If the Trooper writes you a ticket for something that you didn't do wrong, then you have the right to defend yourself in front of Judge, who's job it is to interpret the law.
__________________
"Please report all incidents of vomitus and fecal contamination to management immediately"

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
I'm not even gonna bother arguing my point anymore about the GAWR determining trailer GVWR, must be a Kansas only thing (and maybe Nebraska?) That or the person I heard it from was wrong (can't remember if it was a State Trooper or a trailer dealer).
Your not going to argue it because you have no argument.

To think that GAWR (automatically) sets GVWR is just plain stupid. First or second hand.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Shouldn't you base your information on what the State Trooper says, since he'll be the guy writing you tickets? What's right or wrong doesn't matter as much as what will get you ticketed for, does it?
I would think a lawyer would be better.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
I love these arguments,

From the page of the NEW YORK STATE DMV on COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE


Class B CDL

GVWR of more than 26,000lbs. (Class B may tow vehicles with a GVWR or 10,000lbs or less, or may tow a vehcile of more than 10,000lbs providing the GCWR is not more than 26,000lbs)


No interstate commerce.


So with a class B you can be less than 36k. You need a class A if the trailer would be over 10k where the GCWR is over 26k. Doesnt make a lot of sense but its there in black and white and here is the link if you'd like to refute (page 2). Again NYS only.

http://dmv.ny.gov/broch/cdl/cdl10sec01.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
ParkWelding ParkWelding is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Averill Park, NY
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I love these arguments,

From the page of the NEW YORK STATE DMV on COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE


Class B CDL

GVWR of more than 26,000lbs. (Class B may tow vehicles with a GVWR or 10,000lbs or less, or may tow a vehcile of more than 10,000lbs providing the GCWR is not more than 26,000lbs)


No interstate commerce.


So with a class B you can be less than 36k. You need a class A if the trailer would be over 10k where the GCWR is over 26k. Doesnt make a lot of sense but its there in black and white and here is the link if you'd like to refute (page 2). Again NYS only.

http://dmv.ny.gov/broch/cdl/cdl10sec01.pdf

A "Class B" is almost useless if you are working in the construction field, unless you are never towing a trailer. Like maybe for a crane operator, delivering construction materials, concrete truck, running a dump truck for a gravel pit where you would never tow anything.
__________________
01 Ford F350 4x4 7.3PSD
04.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9CTD
12 Stealth 8.5x20 Enclosed Trailer
10 Load Trail 7x14 Dump Trailer
Toro Grandstand 52 23hp Kawi
Toro G3 60 34hp Kawi
Stihl MS192T 021 MS260pro MS260 MS460magnum
ECHO Trimmers/Blowers
JRCO Rakes
TracVac Aerator
Miller Trailblazer 275DC
Miller MM251/30A
Miller Dialarc 250

Last edited by ParkWelding; 02-23-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: oops
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkWelding View Post
A "Class B" is almost useless if you are working in the construction field, unless you are never towing a trailer. Like maybe for a crane operator, delivering construction materials, concrete truck, running a dump truck for a gravel pit where you would never tow anything.
I saw you erased the other part of what you were saying, why? Yes the Class B seems useless.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
ParkWelding ParkWelding is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Averill Park, NY
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I saw you erased the other part of what you were saying, why? Yes the Class B seems useless.
Because my fingers typed faster than my brain computed what you wrote.
__________________
01 Ford F350 4x4 7.3PSD
04.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9CTD
12 Stealth 8.5x20 Enclosed Trailer
10 Load Trail 7x14 Dump Trailer
Toro Grandstand 52 23hp Kawi
Toro G3 60 34hp Kawi
Stihl MS192T 021 MS260pro MS260 MS460magnum
ECHO Trimmers/Blowers
JRCO Rakes
TracVac Aerator
Miller Trailblazer 275DC
Miller MM251/30A
Miller Dialarc 250
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.08285 seconds with 9 queries