Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
I keep waiting for them to roll out a eco el camino... now that would be the real deal.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Still no different then a 4 banging nissan sitting low to the ground though.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just in my opinion unless you are a huge company that can justify having a gofer then use a truck. You will be able to use the truck for a lot more than the car. For me it is hard to justify spending around(don't wuote me) 12-15k for a gofer, I would rather just keep my personal truck that is lettered looking clean and professional. I don't know though this is one of the best/trickiest questions I have come acrossed in a long time.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to do estimates in the lexus es300 i had but swapped back to using the trucks because 99% of the people would make some sort of comment about the car as soon as i'd get out. I think for them they assumed i was too expensive, When in reality it was only like a 15k dollar used Lexus when i bought it. I think people don't like to see the landscaper get out of a nicer car then they drive.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's funny, when I sold for a company in Phoenix my boss was all excited when I sold my S-10 and bought a 2500HD diesel. He really thought people would take me more seriously if I showed up in a truck. Now, I roll up in a Subaru Forester. I don't think it has any bearing on my sales success and I can fit everything I need in there. Samples, transit, measuring tools, catalogs, paint, stakes, and I can even jam ten 5-gal plants in the hatch if I have to. I'll take 26-28 mpg with unleaded over 16 mpg with my diesel any day.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This year I will be driving this

http://www.oddballauto.com/LHD-1995-...1B-303423.html

LHD, 40mpg, cheap insurance.

The gardeners can drive it when I'm not for trash pickup, etc... and they can drive across property with no real damage.

It looks like a landscape vehicle, gets attention with company graphics and costs only $10,000
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I show up in an E-350 Super Duty passenger van as a landscape architect. I'm not a contractor selling design/build, though. The only comment I ever got was "how many kids do you have?". ... one.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've shown up for an estimate on my mountain bike before. I don't think it really matters as long as you have a portfolio to show them your work and equipment.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I've shown up for an estimate on my mountain bike before. I don't think it really matters as long as you have a portfolio to show them your work and equipment.
Most clients don't care about equipment. Maybe it's different showing up by bicycle....

Clients don't know the difference between a john deere garden tractor, a $17,000 72" ZTR. A skidsteer is a skidsteer to them.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you show up on a bike you'd better have some pictures to show you're equipped to handle the job, lol.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
If you show up on a bike you'd better have some pictures to show you're equipped to handle the job, lol.
I can't even imagine if I rode a bike to someone's house. "MOM! There's a big fat guy dripping on the front porch!"