Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
BestImpressions99 BestImpressions99 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle East TN
Posts: 491
I've handled hills that our sit down wouldn't fantasize about handling. Search "2011 Grandstand review". My thread should pop up there. On my personal lawn (I don't live in the same city our yards are done in) I've seriously contemplated getting a Grandstand for the next mower.
__________________
Best Impressions Lawn Care - est. 1998
2 operations in different cities (Expansion is awesome)
48" Grandstand and 52" Stander X
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
I'd almost be willing to go work with one of you guys for a day for free that have standers and are using them on steep hills so you could show me where I'm going wrong, mine simply won't do it without tearing turf.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
stonebridge's Avatar
stonebridge stonebridge is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NEW PALESTINE IN
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'd almost be willing to go work with one of you guys for a day for free that have standers and are using them on steep hills so you could show me where I'm going wrong, mine simply won't do it without tearing turf.
depending on the stander your using and tire pressure, sound like a operator error, not the standers fault. wrights,toros exmarks will grab hills john deere, gravely, everride, great dane, lesco still do but not that much. i have owned all of them and used them in all conditions. technique and setup of morew is key. i can cut all my yard with a 52'' stander just as fast as my 60'' dixie. with less damage to the yards. open field get a zero turn, houses i would do standers
__________________
!! I WANT TO CUT YOUR GRASS !!
SUND LAWN CARE
Ford F150
6' 1/2 x 14' open trailer
60''/28hp John Deere 757 zero turn
48''/17hp John Deere 7H17 walk behind
22''/6.5hp Toro Personnal Pace push
19"/4hp Bluebird aerator
2 Echo trimmers, 3 blowers, 1 hedge trimmer
1 Husqvarna trimmer/edger/hedger/pole saw
14'' Stihl TS400 concrete saw
and a bunch of other crap a solo operator needs
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridge View Post
depending on the stander your using and tire pressure, sound like a operator error, not the standers fault. wrights,toros exmarks will grab hills john deere, gravely, everride, great dane, lesco still do but not that much. i have owned all of them and used them in all conditions. technique and setup of morew is key. i can cut all my yard with a 52'' stander just as fast as my 60'' dixie. with less damage to the yards. open field get a zero turn, houses i would do standers
That's the whole freakin problem, it grabs and tears the turf! I'm talking strictly on hills, not flat turf! It's very frustrating, I had to end up doing some of my accounts with my 21" on the hilly sections so as not to tear the turf thus cutting my productivity wayyyy down, thereby defeating the whole purpose of switching to a stander to begin with. I dare not get on another hill with the dang thing, actually probably going to end up selling it before the season goes into full swing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 PM
stonebridge's Avatar
stonebridge stonebridge is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NEW PALESTINE IN
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
That's the whole freakin problem, it grabs and tears the turf! I'm talking strictly on hills, not flat turf! It's very frustrating, I had to end up doing some of my accounts with my 21" on the hilly sections so as not to tear the turf thus cutting my productivity wayyyy down, thereby defeating the whole purpose of switching to a stander to begin with. I dare not get on another hill with the dang thing, actually probably going to end up selling it before the season goes into full swing.
witch stander did you have?
__________________
!! I WANT TO CUT YOUR GRASS !!
SUND LAWN CARE
Ford F150
6' 1/2 x 14' open trailer
60''/28hp John Deere 757 zero turn
48''/17hp John Deere 7H17 walk behind
22''/6.5hp Toro Personnal Pace push
19"/4hp Bluebird aerator
2 Echo trimmers, 3 blowers, 1 hedge trimmer
1 Husqvarna trimmer/edger/hedger/pole saw
14'' Stihl TS400 concrete saw
and a bunch of other crap a solo operator needs
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridge View Post
witch stander did you have?
I have a 2011 GS 40" with the 19 Kawasaki, Maybe it's a bad combination not enough weight or something cause it will take off on a full slide going down an incline tearing turf the whole way.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 PM
unkownfl's Avatar
unkownfl unkownfl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando/Windermere
Posts: 3,773
Toros and exmarks usually have narrow but taller tires if I remember right. Can you go up and down instead of sideways?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Toros and exmarks usually have narrow but taller tires if I remember right. Can you go up and down instead of sideways?
Sometimes yes sometimes no.I've tried everything, from all sorts of leaning and crazy positions to going up and down on the tire pressure's in 1/2 pound increments to going slow to going fast, you name it

Last edited by cpllawncare; 02-24-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'd almost be willing to go work with one of you guys for a day for free that have standers and are using them on steep hills so you could show me where I'm going wrong, mine simply won't do it without tearing turf.
If you are ever in western PA you are more than welcome to join me for a day of mowing with my Grandstand. Hilly terrain is very common here. So what is considered a "hill" is very subjective depending on what area of the country you live in. After using my Grandstand for an entire season I can tell you without a doubt there are limits to where you can take this mower. I found myself using a pushmower a little more this past season as opposed to previous years when I ran my ferris wb as my primary mower. Don't get me wrong, the Grandstand for what it is does handle moderate hills very well but in some conditions it is not a viable choice. Even with this drawback, I still feel the gs was a wise investment for my business. The handling, agility, speed and comfort of this mower far outweigh the few negative aspects.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
BestImpressions99 BestImpressions99 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle East TN
Posts: 491
When we got our 48"/24hp GS the merchant said the tires were ~10psi. When stepping up from a walk behind you WILL notice a difference, I agree, in what grades you can handle. Now if you're being foolish and trying to mow when it's wet, then you'd have to use a push mower.

We were skeptacle at first as well, but GS is going to be our next purchase.
__________________
Best Impressions Lawn Care - est. 1998
2 operations in different cities (Expansion is awesome)
48" Grandstand and 52" Stander X
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exmark , scag , stander , zero turn

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.08061 seconds with 9 queries