10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts lawn care View Post
Sick bike Pro Turf! What size v twin?
Thank you Scott! It's a 113 S&S...it goes like a raped ape & screams like one too!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is an example of the maintenance records that we keep on our equipment.

Does anyone have any examples of their own? I am always looking for new ideas to improve on this...

Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0 TURF View Post

Does anyone have any examples of their own? I am always looking for new ideas to improve on this...

That is nice.....I am going to steal that...lol. We just put down write our services on a piece of plywood on the wall of the shop. Each mower has a column and we put the hours on it. I am going to start doing it the way you do it though.
You go quite a few hours on some of those oil changes....almost 200 hours from 5/10 to 8/17
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Is that something you created in excel also I wanted to say you have a killer nice office I can't remember what page its on but what is the sq footage. For the office not the shop. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

So do you print out a new sheet after every maint. or keep it in computer and print at end of year? I guess Im asking why not just keep it on the computer?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I have a pretty in depth equipment maintenance procedure that I'll touch on briefly here. We use a system of one mechanic's binder, and several numbered files for the paperwork.

Preventative maintenance is handled using a monthly inspection procedure. We have 3 preventative maintenance forms in the binder, trucks, trailers, and one general form for all other types of equipment. These are set up in check list form, covering every possible inspection point or topic on the equipment to ensure nothing is missed. Issues found are repaired at this time, any required fluid changes are performed as well. We use a numbering system, each piece of equip (everything, trucks to wheel barrows) has a number attached to it. There is also sheet in the binder that has all the equip numbers down the side, and all 12 months across the top. Each time a preventative maintenance inspection is performed, that equip number and current month, get a check. This keeps track of the inspections, which are performed on a continued basis throughout the duration of the month. We also have seasonal scheduling of on and off season equipment inspections factored into this as well using color coding on this sheet (no point inspecting plows each month all summer!).

For repairs, or if something breaks down in the field, a supervisor of that particular crew will fill out what we call a ERO, or equipment repair order sheet. This is then received by the mechanic, and he will schedule and perform the repair. He will then fill out a "Equipment Service Record Sheet" for the repair. This sheet tracks all specifics of the repair, from labor time and parts, to issues and notes. This is stapled to the initial Repair Order that generated this repair, and put in that equipment's file.

This all might sound complex for repairs, but I use a very basic system of a single 1" binder complete with blank forms, instructions on the system, and a flow chart to better understand the system, along with several numbered, wall hung files to make the flow of information as easy as possible for the crew. Each different form has a number on it that corresponds to file that paper goes in once its filled out (when laying this out I needed to remember I'm dealing with landscapers, not filing clerks).

Even though it might take more time than a more basic system, it helps ensure equipment will arrive on site free of defect each and every time. I got so sick of bringing a piece of equipment to a site, only to find out there is a mechanical issue that will effect our efficiency on the job (it would have been nice to take care of that last week when we weren't using it) Or we bring out 2 wheel barrows, only to find out the bolts have been loosening up for 2 months and no one said or did anything, so now the wheel comes loose in the middle of a production work day, and we loose efficiency and production (just old examples that come to mind).

At the end of the month, all the paperwork generated for equip maintenance is loaded into a neat desk scanner, digitized into PDF, and automatically filed in the computer system. From there, I use the information for budgeting purposes, and to track maintenance and repair expenditures to make more accurate decisions when purchasing new equip, or deciding to swap out older equip, etc.

If interested, I can take a few pictures of the binders, etc...

Last edited by merrimacmill; 02-24-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Your websites look good proturf. Im currently building mine with website tonight as well so its nice to get some inspiration. Keep up the good work!
2010 Toro Grandstand 52/24
2005 Dixie chopper SE 44/27
2009 Kubota BX 25
FS 90r (2)
BR 380
BR 600
HS 45
MS 290

www.EcoLawnOhio.com

Pics: http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=353845
Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Mine are very simple compared to what im seeing but it works for us (7 mowers, 4 trucks)

There is one for mowers and equipment such as skidsteer/tractor and a seperate one for trucks. They are spreadsheet form. We fill in the hours service was preformed and any special stuff "rebuilt transmission" goes in the Notes section at bottom.
Blade sharpening and grease are done so often I left them out of the sheets.

Im going to go through my system next winter to better track the maintenance of all the handhelds, push mowers, trailers, etc. Hard to believe winters almost gone! I had plans to do alot of "organizing and system building" this winter. Alot will have to wait.

Our logs:
MAINTENANCE LOGS.pdf
CASE 95XT Skidsteer w/10ft pusher
BOBCAT ct230 Compact Tractor
STIHLS & ECHOS
2 Enclosed & 2 Flat Beds
BUYERS Salters & ARCTIC Plows

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimacmill View Post
I have a pretty in depth equipment maintenance procedure that I'll touch on briefly here. We use a system of one mechanic's binder, and several numbered files for the paperwork.

Preventative maintenance is handled using a monthly inspection procedure. We have 3 preventative maintenance forms in the binder, trucks, trailers, and one general form for all other types of equipment. These are set up in check list form, covering every possible inspection point or topic on the equipment to ensure nothing is missed. Issues found are repaired at this time, any required fluid changes are performed as well. We use a numbering system, each piece of equip (everything, trucks to wheel barrows) has a number attached to it. There is also sheet in the binder that has all the equip numbers down the side, and all 12 months across the top. Each time a preventative maintenance inspection is performed, that equip number and current month, get a check. This keeps track of the inspections, which are performed on a continued basis throughout the duration of the month. We also have seasonal scheduling of on and off season equipment inspections factored into this as well using color coding on this sheet (no point inspecting plows each month all summer!).

For repairs, or if something breaks down in the field, a supervisor of that particular crew will fill out what we call a ERO, or equipment repair order sheet. This is then received by the mechanic, and he will schedule and perform the repair. He will then fill out a "Equipment Service Record Sheet" for the repair. This sheet tracks all specifics of the repair, from labor time and parts, to issues and notes. This is stapled to the initial Repair Order that generated this repair, and put in that equipment's file.

This all might sound complex for repairs, but I use a very basic system of a single 1" binder complete with blank forms, instructions on the system, and a flow chart to better understand the system, along with several numbered, wall hung files to make the flow of information as easy as possible for the crew. Each different form has a number on it that corresponds to file that paper goes in once its filled out (when laying this out I needed to remember I'm dealing with landscapers, not filing clerks).

Even though it might take more time than a more basic system, it helps ensure equipment will arrive on site free of defect each and every time. I got so sick of bringing a piece of equipment to a site, only to find out there is a mechanical issue that will effect our efficiency on the job (it would have been nice to take care of that last week when we weren't using it) Or we bring out 2 wheel barrows, only to find out the bolts have been loosening up for 2 months and no one said or did anything, so now the wheel comes loose in the middle of a production work day, and we loose efficiency and production (just old examples that come to mind).

At the end of the month, all the paperwork generated for equip maintenance is loaded into a neat desk scanner, digitized into PDF, and automatically filed in the computer system. From there, I use the information for budgeting purposes, and to track maintenance and repair expenditures to make more accurate decisions when purchasing new equip, or deciding to swap out older equip, etc.

If interested, I can take a few pictures of the binders, etc...
I like your set up! I would love to see some pics. Also how in depth do you go with numbering equipment? For example do you number shovels etc. And how do you label them? Marker or Special tags? Thanks