Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=BD79;4318762]Hunter, is it hard to reel in all that hose manually? I I was looking at one for next year but the powered ones are not cheap.

I have a commercial locking cap with boxes on both sides. Just open the side and get what you want. It's harder to sit in the back and do assembly in the rain though. If I could get one of those bed slides it would be the ultimate service truck.[/QUOTE

I don't think it's hard to reel in the hose. We run 4 crews for blow outs and none of the guys complain about it. I wouldn't spend the extra money, I don't think it would help us get much more done in a day.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For service I run a pickup w/ utility body. I want to put a cap on it and a slide out trey for the spring. It's a crew cab, I'm also thinking of pulling the back seats and mounting either a shelving system or drawer system in place of the back seats, for more organized storage. Think this would be especially beter for the higher priced items and tools I want protected by the vehicle alarm.

For installs I usually run my 3500 mason dump, and have an enclosed trailer that is set up as a full mobile warehouse with just about anything I could need for an install, including my dingo and attachments. I been thinking of switching this setup to a 16'+- box truck with side access door/ramp, and a tommy lift on the back for the dingo, it will be more convenient for working in the city or on tight/busy construction sites but constantly climbing up into it will suck
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Van- keeps tools/ stock dry...limited as to where it can go and what it can do

Utility body with truck- has wench, 4 wd, and can double as a tree transport vehicle in winter...

I prefer the truck...
but the service guy loves his van.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Combination van and utility truck - works pretty good. In the process of making an overhead rack to hold pipe so it doesn't clutter up the inside.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have that same van. i use it for service. its very good for keeping things organized and you have a dry spot to change or work on a manifold or something. it is a little noisy though.
I also have a utility pickup. i drive that on a regular basis. it has a little less storage, but i can keep stock of all but the oddball items that i wouldn't carry anyway. and it's a lot less noisy to drive. i like that better.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

It is a little noisy sometimes. I keep the partition door closed and caulked around it to eliminate the noise - works pretty good. We also use a pickup with utility boxes for some service because this truck sucks down the gas.