Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Thanks for the Info diamond....they all look the same to me for the most part! No I do not own the verticutter I just rented it. It cost me $55 for the day.
There are 3 that look similar, sylvestris, canariensis, and medjool. But after you see all three you can easily tell them apart. A verticutter is going to be my next purchase. The more zoysia lawns I pick up, the more enticing it is to buy one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like you did a really great job. That is a crap load of thatch. Did anyone else approach you while you were doing it to inquire about doing theirs?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Looks like you did a really great job. That is a crap load of thatch. Did anyone else approach you while you were doing it to inquire about doing theirs?
No but I did get a small zoysia sod job while I was there. As well as it worked out I am going to try to advertise it and see the response now that I have some practice doing it.

I have a feeling the real bump on this service will start with the referrals from the chemical companies. I have notified two of them that I have a relationship with and have a third that keeps throwing me sod jobs so I am sure I will pick up a few here and there.

Oh and as diamond stated....some of my zoysia lawns....they will be getting sold especially those that have owners that insist on it being cut at four inches. I told you that I have one that we laid in the spring that the owner insist on 4 inches that we just blew out 2 bags of dead material with the blowers the other day...he will be sold for sure once seeing the photos.

Thanks again for your input and guidance.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
No but I did get a small zoysia sod job while I was there. As well as it worked out I am going to try to advertise it and see the response now that I have some practice doing it.

I have a feeling the real bump on this service will start with the referrals from the chemical companies. I have notified two of them that I have a relationship with and have a third that keeps throwing me sod jobs so I am sure I will pick up a few here and there.

Oh and as diamond stated....some of my zoysia lawns....they will be getting sold especially those that have owners that insist on it being cut at four inches. I told you that I have one that we laid in the spring that the owner insist on 4 inches that we just blew out 2 bags of dead material with the blowers the other day...he will be sold for sure once seeing the photos.

Thanks again for your input and guidance.
Mike it's a shame you can't sell people on reel cutting on the zoysia. I'm not saying it's your fault, but it's a night and day difference cutting rotary vs. reel, even empire. 4 inches is just sad for zoysia. Do you bag when you cut those zoysia lawns? If not, expect a lot of crap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Mike it's a shame you can't sell people on reel cutting on the zoysia. I'm not saying it's your fault, but it's a night and day difference cutting rotary vs. reel, even empire. 4 inches is just sad for zoysia. Do you bag when you cut those zoysia lawns? If not, expect a lot of crap.
Posted via Mobile Device
No bag. And Yes I agree with you in that it is a shame that they get cut that high. I have one person who is considering reel cut and I have a chemical company looking for potential clients who would pay the extra for the reel mower...we shall see. If that market is here I will be more than happy to be resource to help those looking for it...but that is yet to be determined.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
No bag. And Yes I agree with you in that it is a shame that they get cut that high. I have one person who is considering reel cut and I have a chemical company looking for potential clients who would pay the extra for the reel mower...we shall see. If that market is here I will be more than happy to be resource to help those looking for it...but that is yet to be determined.
If you do end up doing it, make sure to charge 1.5-2 times the amount you would charge for rotary. I charge double. It is expensive to maintain, but it's a great market. It sounds like nobody up there is using a reel so you could find a lot of potential business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really like this thread, I can tell you perform some quality work and I really like the photos of the shrubbery trimming and overseedings. I have never seen a sago palm of that grandeur.

Oh and trust me, the cut of a reel is worth the initial price of a machine. Once you stop hacking the zoysia with a rotary mower it will become a dense carpet. Another market you should be looking into is top dressing bermuda and zoysia lawns with sand in order to level them out. Top dressing + reel mowing = beautiful lawn.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
I really like this thread, I can tell you perform some quality work and I really like the photos of the shrubbery trimming and overseedings. I have never seen a sago palm of that grandeur.

Oh and trust me, the cut of a reel is worth the initial price of a machine. Once you stop hacking the zoysia with a rotary mower it will become a dense carpet. Another market you should be looking into is top dressing bermuda and zoysia lawns with sand in order to level them out. Top dressing + reel mowing = beautiful lawn.
Thanks for the compliments. Stay tuned as everything is just getting ready to turn here so I will try to take more photos and remember to add them as things living up a little around here.

I agree with the reel. The issue is getting people to pay for the proper prep of the ground for zoysia or it is installed in areas that do not lend themselves to a end quality result. I am working on this but I will lay it without the prep needed if it means the difference between closing the deal and not. I have standards and those standards say that my family enjoys having a nice life!

I am already with you on the top dressing. The issue here is finding quality compost available in smaller amounts. IF the verticutting continues to do well then I can assure you the topdressing will follow before any other new services as it will compliment the verticut very well and only increase the $ from that service.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
If you do end up doing it, make sure to charge 1.5-2 times the amount you would charge for rotary. I charge double. It is expensive to maintain, but it's a great market. It sounds like nobody up there is using a reel so you could find a lot of potential business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you find that at 1.5 to 2 times the amount accounts for your extra fatigue of using the reel mower as well as the extra cost of maint. of the blades etc diamond?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you find that at 1.5 to 2 times the amount accounts for your extra fatigue of using the reel mower as well as the extra cost of maint. of the blades etc diamond?
It's not tiring at all. The mower can move very fast it's not like a 21". You have to cut slower though or else the lawn will become uneven. Yes, 2x is fair. It's not really like it takes 2x the amount of time to cut, it's the maintenance costs.
Posted via Mobile Device