Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
It's not tiring at all. The mower can move very fast it's not like a 21". You have to cut slower though or else the lawn will become uneven. Yes, 2x is fair. It's not really like it takes 2x the amount of time to cut, it's the maintenance costs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not to carry on too long here as this is a "picture thread" but have you had your reel mower a year now Diamond? If so what roughly where your total cost incurred last year for maint, repairs etc?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Not to carry on too long here as this is a "picture thread" but have you had your reel mower a year now Diamond? If so what roughly where your total cost incurred last year for maint, repairs etc?
I first had it sharpened at a golf course for $60. That was after 25 cuts on a 1/4 lot that half of that is actual turf. I charge that account $200/mo. They have literally a couple shrubs right now so the property is all cutting for right now. The guy at the course took off way too much on the spin grind. I hit a rock about 5 cuts later so I had to take it to a shop to get done again. This place specializes in Tru-cuts and they backslapped it and put a new chain on, greased, etc. That came out to $115. Keep in mind though I ran over that rock. Like I said, it costs more to maintain these mowers, but you just need to charge enough to cover those costs and make more of a profit. I'm not an expert and am still learning. Like I said before, an account that has sports turf that will pay for reel cutting is going to be a high dollar account and a lot of times it's not a lot of turf so doing this gets you in that game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Put it this way. I just picked up a $645/mo account with maybe 2-K of diamond zoysia. Now, it's a couple passes with my reel, but the point here is these accounts are high dollar accounts that don't want the turf kept at 4 in. so the reel is necessary. I wouldn't want to pass stuff like that up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is a photo for you guys who deal in cool season turf might enjoy. It is a picture of our St. Augustine out of the turf - this is a runner/stolon which is how it spreads as it does not have rhizomes.
Attached Images

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Zoysia Verticutting

ash4/429087_415009068513985_100000146856528_1808698_1034546968_n.jpg">

These sand cranes appreciated the fact that I removed all the thatch out of there way and flew in for a "early bird dinner".

Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This one is for you up north that "think you do Christmas Lights"....this is how you do it and NO I did not do this...it is Disney at Hollywood Studios for the Osbourne Family Lights spectacular.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike if you are going to be doing a lot of verticuttibg, may want to invest in a billygoat vac...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Mike if you are going to be doing a lot of verticuttibg, may want to invest in a billygoat vac...
Posted via Mobile Device
Still in the exploration stage of these Diamond....I have to ensure the market is there to justify the cost. If I do anything I am thinking I am going to purchase a bagger system for my X-one ...this way I could use it for clean ups also and save myself the time of blowing the leaves. The bagger option would indeed give me more options.

This job paid off well though...I got $75 per K and the lawn is 8K. Took us less than 3 hours from start to finish. That equaled $200 per man hour. Now granted I did have $55 invested in the rental of the unit. But this lot worked out great as their is still the vacant lot to the side...the homeowner did not have a issue with the debris being blown into the lot vs being bagged. In and out and a happy customer.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Still in the exploration stage of these Diamond....I have to ensure the market is there to justify the cost. If I do anything I am thinking I am going to purchase a bagger system for my X-one ...this way I could use it for clean ups also and save myself the time of blowing the leaves. The bagger option would indeed give me more options.

This job paid off well though...I got $75 per K and the lawn is 8K. Took us less than 3 hours from start to finish. That equaled $200 per man hour. Now granted I did have $55 invested in the rental of the unit. But this lot worked out great as their is still the vacant lot to the side...the homeowner did not have a issue with the debris being blown into the lot vs being bagged. In and out and a happy customer.
Good point I always forget haggard for mowers cause I never see em in fl. That's good money for sure...nice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure if you cold tell from the pictures Chris...but that is Empire being maintained at 3 inches...the lawn is less than 2.5 years old...notice how much thatch came out? This people will learn to pay for it to be mowed properly or they will keep paying me for verticutting. I am fine with either!