Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkman11 View Post
I have both a stander and ztr. If you can only get one go with the ztr. Standers suck on hills, ditches, and uneven terrain.
what mower do you have?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensgate7 View Post
My comments are in Grandstand thread review on things you might change in how you operate the machine. Short suggestion, always turn uphill and back down to the next pass when starting a pass next to a completed one. See other suggestions in grandstand review thread. I have a 52 and can hold any hill on it that can be held with a zero-turn mower of any type as long as the turf is in good shape and the grass is dry. Tires are at 8-10 PSI depending on the day and I weigh about 150 and I shift my weight to the uphill side of the machine.Yes the steeper I go the slower I go but I don't have any problems tearing up turf if I turn the right way and go across the slope at various angles instead of straight up and down.
Hope this helps!
I will vouch for an uphill turn...this is how I do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i see all of these mixed reviews on here about standers. some say they are good on hills and others say they aren't. which is it? they don't even have standers for sale at the dealers here. i've never seen one in person either. walkbehinds aren't used very often here either. most everyone uses ride on ztrs. my ztr can hold some pretty steep hills. if a stander isn't any better i see no point in ever buying one. i can mow small yards as well as large yards with my sit down ztr. i guess that's why noone uses standers around here. there's really no point.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i see all of these mixed reviews on here about standers. some say they are good on hills and others say they aren't. which is it? they don't even have standers for sale at the dealers here. i've never seen one in person either. walkbehinds aren't used very often here either. most everyone uses ride on ztrs. my ztr can hold some pretty steep hills. if a stander isn't any better i see no point in ever buying one. i can mow small yards as well as large yards with my sit down ztr. i guess that's why noone uses standers around here. there's really no point.
You might want to try one before you say no point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

can't demo one since they don't have them for sale here just going by what i've read on here.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkman11 View Post
I have both a stander and ztr. If you can only get one go with the ztr. Standers suck on hills, ditches, and uneven terrain.
first off a stander is a ztr (zero turn radius)........

secondly is it opposite day? most have found and will say a stander does better on hills.....sit down ztrs are the ones that suck on hills, ditches and uneven terrain......
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridge View Post
the 36'' and 40'' don't hold hills that good tire are to narrow and weight is not distributed for hill sides, was going to buy one but neither one help as good as my 52'' toro grandstand
That's the conclusion I've come to also, I bought the 40" because it was the perfect size for doing my Apt Complexes where there are a lot of little nook and cranny places and I thought it would save on the trimming, and it does, but then I gained another complex that had some sizeable hills and ditches and the problems began.

As for turning up the hill I do that but I have to turn at the bottom because there is no level place to turn so I'm kinda in a weird situation with it, I will start going up and backing down the next pass like you said it should work if logic proves to be right.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scag vride-10 mph...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

exmarkman, I want to say first that I don't want to get into an unprofessional namecalling arguement with you. One thing I do agree with you on is that grandstands have a slower ground speed from the factory(which can be remedied by the way) than the lazers.

I (and others I would imagine) would like to see evidence of the problems you are having with the vantage instead of just saying they "suck" which is not helpful anyone on this forum who is seeking opinions based on real world head to head situations with these machines.
I own and run a 60" exmark Lazer Z and both a 52 " and a 60 "grandstand. I have been running the lazers since 01 and the grandstands since last year. I agree with yardman and the many others that have given reviews on this topic that the vantage AKA grandstand is a better mower compared to a similar deck size exmark lazer.

But for the sake of understanding why you have such a bad opinion of this machine, I am curious to see video of both mowers owned and operated by the you in the same real-world head to head situations illustrating the problems you are having with the vantage. Concerning the hill arguement, when I bought my grandstands, I did this with my lazer and the grandstand on the same exact hill going the same exact pattern using the same exact techniques that I have described in a few of the threads on this forum. I proved to myself (because I don't listen to pushy sales people who in this case turned out to be right about their claims) that the grandstand was the best mower in every way that I tested them side by side and same mower to same mower.

Please do understand that I still think that a sit-down ztr can hold hills and go closely around trees and do leaf removal well. I just have evidence that the grandstand does it better. Lets try not to be critical of each other and discuss this objectively and professionally
Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

The only point I was really trying to make is my lazer z will handle a hill better than my vantage. That is a fact. I posted what I liked about the vantage too, maybe you didn't read it. There are positives to standons too. I posted a picture in the picture thread. I really don't want to have a pissing match with anyone. Lots of people say standons can handle steep hills and lots of people say they can't. Most of the people who claim standons are better, don't own both. Demoing a ztr is not the same as using one everyday like I do
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
exmark , scag , stander , zero turn