Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lvr2 View Post
But, if that 6.4l is just a cracking deal I might be able to run it for a year and sell it for a profit.
Or sink enough money into it to go broke......
Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I did not see the pricing on the gas truck, but it is probably an ex Fed. Government vehicle.. Either Dept of Agriculture, or Forestry service. That is their standard color of green, and not a common color sold to the general public. It is also a standard. Those std. trans/clutch setups are VERY expensive to repair if it should need a clutch. In fact, the clutch alone, can cost as much as replacing an automatic trans. in one of those.
Why do you need a 1 ton? Stick with a 3/4 ton to get a little better mileage and pricing.
Be aware that ford has not offered a good trpublefree diesel since they quit offering the 7.3 Powerstroke. That diesel model is problematic and a hard sell to prople who know diesels well. Resell price will not be good with that diesel in it.
The V10 is a great engine and it is too bad you can no longer get them in the 3/4 or 1 ton Fords. The pulling power is awsome and fuel mileage is not great, but no terrible if you are carefull how you drive.
I happen to have a 2010, F250 pickup for sale in the "for sale" section of this forum. It has the V10 and an auto. trans with a towing package. Check it out. Almost like new at less than half the price of new.
come have a look at mine. I am in Denton Tx, right on I35, not far from you at all.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

The 6.4 is great as long as it is maintained. If its not run. When they do go down most of the time it is over 10k to fix them unless you do it yourself. If it has under 100k on it it should still have the power train warranty on it. I have had great luck with mine and it pulls amazingly. It has 85k on it now. There is nothing wrong with the V10's. Some like to blow out spark plugs and the exhaust manifold studs rot off, but they pull great. Mileage will be about the same on both engines.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I am trading my 08 F250 tomorrow. (6.4) Last year, it averaged 8.8 mpg. It will not stop the re-gen process and the dealer is not able to pinpoint the reason. I believe it is because I do not drive it long enough distances. The other day, they were able to make it re-gen in the parking lot of the dealer and we sat there for 45 mins at 2,000 rpm to get it to complete. That was after it had been in re-gen off and on all morning while driving my route. He said sometimes it can take up to 2 hrs. to complete.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by professional View Post
I am trading my 08 F250 tomorrow. (6.4) Last year, it averaged 8.8 mpg. It will not stop the re-gen process and the dealer is not able to pinpoint the reason. I believe it is because I do not drive it long enough distances. The other day, they were able to make it re-gen in the parking lot of the dealer and we sat there for 45 mins at 2,000 rpm to get it to complete. That was after it had been in re-gen off and on all morning while driving my route. He said sometimes it can take up to 2 hrs. to complete.
DPF Delete and tune would of fixed that problem and netted you at least another 4mpg. I would steer clear of the 6.4 diesel. Mines a disaster. Might look for a clean 7.3 Diesel though.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the input everybody. I think I'm leaning heavily towards the V10. His asking price for it was $12.9K but I reckon it could be bought around $10k.

I drove the 6.4l today. It seemed to drive ok but the dash was reading out 9.5mpg and the regen thing was coming on a lot. The truck has also been beat-on pretty good, those were a hard 110k miles, so their asking price is probably in-line with its condition.

Mowingman: Great looking F250 and good price but I'm looking to go totally debt free this year so am aiming for a lower priced truck. I'll be putting a landscape or platform stake body on whatever I get so the reason for going 1 ton is that with the setup I'm hoping for the 3/4 ton leaves me about 1700lbs extra payload for grass, etc. and the 1 ton gives me about another 1500lbs. I just like the idea of a little extra cushion when staring down the long arm of the DOT Nazi laws.

Also, I rather like having a manual trans, every vehicle I've had with a stick I get much better mileage in than an auto. Even the Stang is getting about 20.5 in the city and Ford only rates it at 17.

I'll keep this updated once my truck sells and I pick up something else. BTW the '07 Isuzu NPR Hd dump I'm selling is still available. My buyer I had lined up is getting a little flaky and I think the deal might fall through.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Get the diesel! My work trucks are similar to what you are looking at. Both '04 F250 Lariat, one with the V10 and the other is a 6.0 diesel. For the last few months the fuel cost of V10 has been $150-$200 per month more than the diesel. The V10 gets about 12 mpg in the city... 8 mpg with a trailer + equipment. The 6.0 stays at 13 mpg with or without a trailer. Also, just in case you ever want to sell it... The V10 depreciates rapidly.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

no the v10 does not depreciate rapidly at all. very proven engine with no issues, the two diesels are known for issues, why take that on?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
no the v10 does not depreciate rapidly at all. very proven engine with no issues, the two diesels are known for issues, why take that on?
Good point! I did not consider the numerous times my diesel has been worked on. The V10 has been in the shop only one time and it was for a recall.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Seriously its kinda like apples and oranges. Both have pros and cons, and external costs involved. Make a list and compare it to what your ultimate needs are.
10 Load Trail 7x14 Dump Trailer
Toro Grandstand 52 23hp Kawi
Toro G3 60 34hp Kawi
Stihl MS192T 021 MS260pro MS260 MS460magnum
ECHO Trimmers/Blowers
JRCO Rakes
TracVac Aerator
Miller Trailblazer 275DC
Miller MM251/30A
Miller Dialarc 250