Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll admit I was wrong, I guess I now too believe toro saved exmark. In a way toro is Gods gift to the lawn business. I always thought bad boy was the best, but it looks like toro put them in second place. Thank you everyone for opening my eyes to the truth
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back to the original thread subject, I recently demoed a Vantage 48. My opinion is that it cuts great, is nimble, but has more cons than pros for ME. Cons: loading and unloading from trailer are awkward, controls are way too finicky which takes away my control and confidence, did like to tear too much (yes i was careful), cannot adjust deck on the fly like on a Z (i mean being able to mash the foot pedal to avoid a tree root etc without stopping. I have had lumbar surgery and it actuallly feels better to stand than sit for me. However, I have decided to buy a Lazer Z S in the 48. I am going tomorrow to buy it from my dealer.

I just felt I had no confidence on hills on the Vantage. I am 6'2 and maybe felt the center of gravity was too high? Plus, I mow around ALOT of crepe myrtles and other low hanging branches, which caused ducking and weaving on the Vantage. Like someone else said, the Vantage 48 deck is flush with the back tires, so you can't really get super close to posts, trees, signs etc.

I would like to add a vantage for flat jobs, but for now I will stick with my 36 Viking (which I love), and the new Z.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

MT, I'm glad I'm not the only one, I agree with everything you wrote and I am also 6'2". Be careful though. Lots of haters on here if you don't like standers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i prefer toro and exmark for a couple of reason. mostly because i've come to know them as good quality machines that deliever a good quality cut.

i started with them because of the price and available. there is only one dealer in my neck of the woods that carry scag, walker and wright. the other 4 dealers do exmark, toro and john deere. the other brands in the market like dixon, bobcat, gravely, grasshopper, etc aren't even available.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkman11 View Post
MT, I'm glad I'm not the only one, I agree with everything you wrote and I am also 6'2". Be careful though. Lots of haters on here if you don't like standers
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sure the stander is a good fit for many, you just don't see anybody using them around here. The two 36" vantages that the dealer in town sold are already back traded in for turf tracers......makes you wonder.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm sure we aren't mowing the same steep hill.

i'm 6' 1" and run a 52" grandstand on hills with no problems at all.

its not that i have a problem with people who don't like standers its just rare i think for someone to say there sit down performs better than there stander.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i'm sure we aren't mowing the same steep hill.

i'm 6' 1" and run a 52" grandstand on hills with no problems at all.

its not that i have a problem with people who don't like standers its just rare i think for someone to say there sit down performs better than there stander.
I understand what you're saying. I guess I found my whole body coming into play on the stander where it doesn't sitting down. Plus my wife said " you already have a stand up mower, why would you want another" I tried to explain that they are TOTALLY diff, but you know how that goes. I wonder if the vantage 52 would handle any better than the 48?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
I understand what you're saying. I guess I found my whole body coming into play on the stander where it doesn't sitting down. Plus my wife said " you already have a stand up mower, why would you want another" I tried to explain that they are TOTALLY diff, but you know how that goes. I wonder if the vantage 52 would handle any better than the 48?
the vantage 52" should handle just like the grandstand 52" and i can tell you my 52" grandstand handles pretty good.....
Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I am 5'11 and 150 so mabey thats why I love them so much cause I am short and skinny
Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Decisions decisions, Lordy I'm truly undecided what to buy now. I can get a new 48 vantage with the 24kaw, the 52" vantage, or the 48 or 52 lazer z. I'm buying tomorrow and killing my brain with this one!

Tags
exmark , scag , stander , zero turn