Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean an offense. I only read what was in the post.
None taken.
When somebody establishes a 'business relationship' for the purposes of having them do work, it sure sounds like a sub-contract. Lack of specifics in the "business relationship" is what leads to wrong conclusions. Your last post doesn't clear any of the mystery either. Leaving the issues "intentionally vague" only opens the door for questions and confusion. I'm unsure why the choice of "intentionally vague." That implies that you really don't know how it will work out, and are prepared to take it all back.

I know if i got such a vague letter, I would probably look for somebody else.
So if I had been providing you with good service for years, established a good relationship with you and sent you this letter you wouldn't give me the benefit of the doubt.
I want to know the responsible party, who is getting paid, and how much. You have stated that you will not be doing the work, so that part is clear. I would wonder how Mr. X is familiar with my property, unless he has worked it before as part of your services.
As part of the process I take him on the route.

If you have contracts, and they are transferable, then the statements are very simple, "... I am exercising my option of transferring your contract to Mr. X." This leaves no room for misinterpretation. Even if you have a contract, there is nothing to prevent the customers from finding somebody else.
I have no contracts. I think they are worthless.
If you are handing the accounts over, I don't know why the statement about "reaching you."
Simply to reassure the customer.
Again, this leads me to believe you are not ready to let them go, so that with any problem, you would take them back.

I'm sorry if my comments are not welcome or understood. I am over 70, and so this situation of what to do with customers is something I have thought about, and I know that someday soon I will be confronted with the same issue. So, it is not an academic issue for me. I think that I would want to do as you have done, that is, try to find another LCO be given the option to take over the accounts, and give the customer a choice about working with my choice of LCO. In both cases, either can say "yes," or "no." From so many other threads on LS, the price for selling an account seems to be worth about $0.00, so that is probably not even an option. There are some accounts that I would not pass a name, rather leave the field open for them. There are good reasons why I would do this (e.g. a property not compatible with how that LCO works). I know that if I was giving over an account to another LCO, I do not wish to be in the middle of anything between my former customer and their new LCO. I would want the cut to be clean and complete. I would no longer be in a position to do anything useful.

I would be interested in knowing how it works. Maybe "getting out" isn't as easy as I think it might be.
Getting out is easy. Getting out with your pockets full is the challenge.

I honestly feel that you are over thinking this. Most people just want their lawn mowed by someone they are comfortable with. The purpose of the letter is to help make them comfortable.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

he will buy the business from us, he is NOT going to be a partnet or sub.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This what I understood the case to be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn View Post
he will buy the business from us, he is NOT going to be a partnet or sub.
You need to say that in your letter, and no, I doubt that there is a standard form letter that says that and all the other things that your letter needs to say.

Better yet, why don't you try to meet with most of them and work the phones for a couple weeks. I think that this is how I would handle it.

Good luck with the transition of the business and with your retirement.