Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromNY View Post
Would it be possible/ legal to build a short 'knee wall' at the door of a small shed, then line the inside of the shed with an old swimming pool liner? Pond liner? or something similar, impermeable and water proof liner of some type? Might make at least a good short term storage until you come up with something more permanent.
The liner had crossed my mind, but having never worked with the stuff I was concerned about cleaning out the wrinkles or pleats if there were a spill, and not sure how easily it can be punctured?

A curb or raised sill is not a issue at the door, only thing likely to end up in there besides bags and bottles would be a backpack sprayer and the fert spreader which is hoisted on-off the truck all day... One last heave at the end of a long day.

All this just so we can actually meet customers needs - been hiring subs for years, but we're so small they never get to us; too low on the priority list...
Hate loosing an account because of lawn weeds...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Several really good ideas here - I'll have to run them by the boss/money man/husband (listen to him fuss) and then the state inspector: at least the state folks are encouraging us to work with them, rather than out to hang us from the get-go (hopefully).
Didn't expect this to be quite such a production whe nthe new licensing was brought up... should have known better where state regs are involved.

Thanks to everyone for the input - I appreciate your time
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a freind on the NH seacoast, NH inspectors have been to his warehouse, his containment room for fert has sheetrock walls, a closeable door and a couple of 2x4's on the floor so if a bag ripped open it wouldnt spill out of the room. As far as concentrates, NH DOT has no problem w/ the original container stored within a 2nd lockable container on a vehicle, so you could take one of those plastic or metal jobsite boxes and put your chemicals in it at your property I would think. Also if you buy what you are going to use that day, your not storing it, storing product is what john deere does in their warehouse, what you have with 10 bags is operational usage you could argue that your not storing it that you were going to use it that day if an inspector showed up. I would make sure there are no prills anywhere on the floor though.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Also if you buy what you are going to use that day, your not storing it, storing product is what john deere does in their warehouse, what you have with 10 bags is operational usage you could argue that your not storing it that you were going to use it that day if an inspector showed up. I would make sure there are no prills anywhere on the floor though.
The concern I have with the "same day" premise is if it is moved on the truck into the existing buildings, it IS an illegal (within 75 ft of a well) storage situation - I'm no good at playing stupid - and if it is on the truck then I have an actual storage problem; with our supplier over an hour away, I can't afford to get only one day's supplies at a time, and there is no overnight cover for the trucks... moisture in a summer like last year was a big issue. Don't I wish we had kept the cap one of our trucks came with now! I do need to find out how many days we can legally leave bags on a vehicle before red flags start flying... at least for good weather, if we ever get any of that again.
I do have to get a locked box for use on the truck anyway, but it can't stay on board all the time, and I know what happens to stuff around here left out on the ground... bad things. It will need a safe home when not in transit.

I'm not really trying to reside in a loophole, just do this on the up and up without having to take out a second mortgage on our house. HA!

Last edited by lakesregionscapes; 03-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.