Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Kage is a spin off of a large lawn care outfit in mn. They most likely have been prefecting the sulky with their crews (I believe they employ over 60) over the years. Decent company by the couple employees I have talked to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if it is built like their push box it's 1 solid peace
I wouldn't be surprised if it out last the mower
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of observations/questions from seeing the website:

1. Nothing is said/shown how to get the hitch off the mower. The quick-disconnect with the splined shaft is shown, but the hitch that goes from the disconnect to the mower is not shown. If it is disconnected, the dongle remains on the mower, which is probably undesirable.
2. Nothing is said about reversing.
3. Nothing is said about being able to make full Z-turns. It appears not to be the case. the wheel assembly will not rotate under the hitch -- at least from what I can see from the pictures. This situation is also part of the reversing question (2) above. A single-wheeled Velke is designed so that the wheel will rotate a complete 360 under the hitch. This enables reversing, with the wheel being pulled backward, and also permits the true Z-turn.
4. It is not entirely clear how the spring works. The words speak about shock between the mower and the sulky. This shock is trivial over against the shock of wheels riding over uneven terrain. The large wheels do look nice, however. But, I wonder the value of the added part of the spring.

For those discussing being "behind the controls," the distinction is between a trailer sulky, and a castered sulky. A trailer has a pin connection, enabling it to rotate about a vertical axis. The wheels on the sulky remain fixed in the plane normal with the axle running across the sulky. The picture with the operator makes it clear that this unit is a trailer sulky.

The castered sulky is firmly fixed to the mower, making the sulky and mower move as unit. There is no pivot point about a vertical like the trailer sulky. The sulky wheels turn on a spindle, each wheel independent. They rotate on a vertical axis, with the wheel itself free to rotate about the spindle a full 360 degrees (unlike the trailer, where the wheel remains at 0 degrees). The castered sulky remains behind the mower, meaning the operator remains "behind the controls" (I believe that was the phrase used earlier).

I have a Bullrider convertible. No, there is no soft top -- not that kind of convertible! Rather, with placement of pins, it can be made into a trailer sulky, or a castered sulky. The switchover is simple, and without tools. In my experience, the castered mode does not work with my 36" Exmark -- sulky drives the mower. The mower is too light, and the footprint is too narrow. By fixing the spindles on the sulky to a stationary position, and pulling one pin, it turns into a trailer. It works great as a trailer. But, like the one is the pictures, it will not permit a full Z-turn. Reversing can only be done very carefully.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is just like the StepSaver from BOP, the Gravely Sulkys and Jungle Jim Sulkys. It does "trailer" behind the unit but the pivot point is right in front of the standing platform not up on the mounting point of the entire sulky to the mower. If you were to stand pigeon toed on the platform with your toes touching right at the pivot point your toes would always be in the same position regardless of where your heals are at.

With that being said the pivot point is a few inches further than I would like to see. Ideally you would want the pivot point that lets the platform twist/turn to be right at the front of the standing platform. Also the extensive use of washers to provide the adjustment in how far the platform is from the controls concerns me. K.I.S.S. And multiple washers is not that.

I like the idea of a "cushioning" sulky but I find more trouble in the vibration that comes through the handle bars of the mower itself rather than what comes through my legs. Thats why I have knees.

Would like to see a mower produced that has some sort of suspension system for the control bars.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinStephan View Post
Here is a link to our website for you to learn all about the Kage Wheel Kaddy. You will see very quickly how adding a Kaddy to your fleet will pay for itself in no time. We will have a video up soon! I will post again when it is live.

http://kageinnovation.com/newpages/kaddy_system.php
I saw these in my mag the other day ! ware can i see them in person ? im in Grand Rapids Mi i have to get 4 new jungle jims due to new mowers im sick of re building them once a year!
made in the USA
Old 03-03-2012, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My apologies on the BOP Step Saver. It is a articulating design, not castering as I had earlier stated. Trimmer Tap's Bull Rider DM-1 is a castering sulky.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
When the mower turns this sulky trailers, ie: It articulates. The BOP sulky has casters on it so you're always right behind the controls. It can be a pain in the rear to not be directly behind the controls.
can't really see how its a pain with a "trailering" sulky, but ok......
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The down fall of trailering sulkys is when backing up you get all twisted up. The fixed sulkys work more like a stander and your position never changes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The down fall of trailering sulkys is when backing up you get all twisted up. The fixed sulkys work more like a stander and your position never changes.
Posted via Mobile Device
now that i agree with. but it being a pain when turning to not be directly behind the controls??? don't see it
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't see the big deal with a trailering sulky. I have one that is great and can run full speed in reverse while stamding on it (takes some practice).
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
kage , mower , mowing , sulky , walk behind