Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM
gregwl77 gregwl77 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: indian river,mi
Posts: 33
Feed back on propane

It's time for some new equipment and I'm thinking about going to propane.... Exmark turf tracer 48" for walkbehind and possibly kubota for zero turn. I'm looking for feed back on propane use, as well as the units above. Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:08 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,858
Conversions to propane is starting to get hot since the propane is at $2.25
a gallong and expected to go down in the summer. We have three units converted. The cost to convert is $500 after getting a $1K rebate from state.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Conversions to propane is starting to get hot since the propane is at $2.25
a gallong and expected to go down in the summer. We have three units converted. The cost to convert is $500 after getting a $1K rebate from state.
I know there is a slight power loss with propane due to lower BTU, but do you get more hours per gallon?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 PM
djagusch djagusch is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I know there is a slight power loss with propane due to lower BTU, but do you get more hours per gallon?
Posted via Mobile Device
You in theory use about 20% more propane per hr (basic math behind it). Some in the industry says 7% or nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:33 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
You in theory use about 20% more propane per hr (basic math behind it). Some in the industry says 7% or nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Combine that with the power loss and it seems like you are going backwards.

Now increase compression ratio on sai engine and you should be able to squeeze more hp running propane. Than you would need direct injection.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,858
Well I just used 10 gallong in 5.8hrs on a Turf tiger with mulch kit on. It has teh vangard on it 61" So $3.87 per hour. It has plenty of power. Don't know how much gas this unit was always propane.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 AM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Well I just used 10 gallong in 5.8hrs on a Turf tiger with mulch kit on. It has teh vangard on it 61" So $3.87 per hour. It has plenty of power. Don't know how much gas this unit was always propane.
That don't seem like much savings considering the aggravation of having to fill up at a propane place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
That don't seem like much savings considering the aggravation of having to fill up at a propane place.
Posted via Mobile Device
I go in to the dealer every week anyway and I have 6 tanks so that holds me for a week. We brought out a business who had already converted two so kinda stuck. Today I discovered that my Tiger Cub ran 13 hours on a 10 gallon tank. I was floored.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 AM
amscontr amscontr is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: st louis area
Posts: 21
We use a V twin B+S 16 hp propane hydraulic unit to power a huge log splitter and the fuel savings is amazing. A 20 lb BBQ size tanks runs our splitter all winter on 1 tank. Compared to a couple gallons a day @ 4.00 gal gas?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 AM
BOSS LAWN 2343's Avatar
BOSS LAWN 2343 BOSS LAWN 2343 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 496
I'd ask Hank Hill.
__________________
94 Chevy 1500 8'6" Western
96 GMC 1500 7'6" Western
98 Chevy 8'6" Western
Bobcat 763

8x30 Tandem
6x12 Single

Snapper WB Z-Turn 48" (Trac-Vac)
36" WB John Deere Z-Turn (Pro-Vac)


21 year old

Youtube: www.youtube.com/BOSSLAWN2343
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Derrel...5569495?ref=hl
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.07107 seconds with 9 queries