Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-14-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Thinking about trying it again

Long story short 6 years ago I decided after working for 4 years for local landscape company to start my own. And while I didn't lose any money I didn't make much either in combo with a two vehicle payments and a house bought at a prime price I took a carpentry job for 5 years and weathered the building market crash making pretty good money till last thanksgiving.So now I feel im in a pretty good spot. I have unemployment that meets the bare necessity's and my wife can finish her last year of nursing school and I get to be around my 3yo son at a very cool time in life, not to mentioned the savings in child care.

So looking back at my previous attempt at a business the things i did wrong were staggering...lol alot of things I should have subbed I did my self. And basically was trying to do everything. And aimed for a larger company with employes ect.

Well now I just want to mow with one truck/trailer and do some snow plowing. The blend of building decks and mowing lawns would be the perfect situation. A few friends of mine do the caretaker kinda gig and seem to do well. Anyways, I have a 48" Huslter w/catcher blower trimmer ect. all your basic mowing route stuff. So im thinking about throwing out some advertising and seeing if I can generate 2-3 days of smallish property's. Nothing to crazy. Maybe im crazy.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Sponsor

Haha! Not crazy at all. Offering both services is a really good idea in today's market. It never hurts to mix it up. It's also great that you learned from your previous attempt & are giving it another go. You mentioned that you want to start some advertising. I need to let you know about some specials we have as Adeas Printing. We offer Door Hangers with our innovative Band-It technology for a really good price. You can get 1,000 for $99.00 or 2,500 for only $189.00. We also offer a combo which includes Stick-It on the back (a removable sticky surface that allows your client to stick it to their fridge) It's a very cool way to help your company stand out from the crowd. If you are interested in fliers, postcards or brochures- we do it all! Take a look at our website. We have a short video that explains it better! Take a look: http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers Good luck to you & feel free to call us anytime! -Robin
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the kind words and will consider your services. However Ive always looked at door hangers as spam mail and have never been thrilled to have one put on my door when I wasn't home. Although I don't know the success rate people have with them that's just my .02

Since I want to keep everything close as possible I plan running some ads in 3 local papers,craigslist and local community facebook pages. See where I can go from there.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Sponsor

I hear ya, although our lawn care clients actually have a really good success rate with them. If door hangers just aren't your thing though we also offer post cards, fliers, brochures, business cards, Sun Visor Values a whole lot more. We can put our Band-It attachment and/or Stick It backing on any of these products too. We are a family owned business and really easy to work with, so please keep us in mind for the future.
Good luck to you, it sounds like you are well on your way!!

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Door Hangers

You may want to reconsider hangers because as you said you want to centralize in a specific area, this a great way to do so. Some neighborhoods don't allow them though it just depends on the clientele you are targeting.

This is my second go around at running my own lawn service also. The first time I bought a guys set-up and about ten clients or so he had left. They where so spread out that there was no way to make any money what so ever.

This time we found ourselves with our backs against the wall financially even though we had good jobs at the time. We owed only on our home when our son came down with type 1 diabetes. I could see the writing on the wall that even with good insurance our medical cost was going to be tough to control. So we decided to give it another go. I ended up with 20-22 lawns the first season doing them after I got off work Monday-Thursday. Now we have about 35-40 clients.

You really do learn a lot from your past mistakes, and we still are learning each season. I retired from my full-time job and just run my lawn business in the summer and offer snow-clearing for about 10 clients. For right now I just want to work SOLO but time will tell if I will change my mind and run a crew.

I think it is great that you want to go at it again. Good luck and start a Picture thread when you get started so we can follow along.