Register free!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I am familiar with rock saws that we use to put in irrigtion lines. I meant that I am going to try to install drip line and that needs to be no deeper than 2.5". Most of the yards have that much top soil on top of rock. However sometimes there is small rocks like 2" dia inbeded in the soil. And of course
we have a lot of shallow tree roots. Last year I used a edger to cut the grass and make a small ditch. Then I used a narrow pick and irrigtion shovel. We plan to demo this thing but it looks like the ticket.

The big companies doen't do installs on old lawns. On new stuff they lay the drip and them put the sod squares on top of it.
Ed

Can't you run the line in a Galvanized Pipe to push it under the ground?? I am not explaining that real well but it works great.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think he is going to cut the sod roll it up lay the lines then lay the sod back if I'm reading it right. I don't think hes going to use it like a plow. You can always get a piece of plate steel welded to a pipe and jab that into the ground. Then rock it back and forth and make a trench. That's how they do cable here.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ed~ your saying a "drip line". Is this a supply line to a drip system or are you going to irrigate turf areas with a below ground drip system?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thpught of doing that 2 summers ago when it was real dry. I didnt think the drip line would have enough pressure to push the water out of the holes?
Has anyone tried this?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
I thpught of doing that 2 summers ago when it was real dry. I didnt think the drip line would have enough pressure to push the water out of the holes?
Has anyone tried this?
Hard Water was a real problem when I had Mist house for propagation. The smaller Spray nozzles for misting got clodded easily. I had two sets of nozzles I kept changing out and soaked them in CLR to clean them. I am not sure that wouldn't be a problem with a drip system in turf. However I can also see green areas snaking through the lawn following the drip line. But then I am just guessing at this point.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-08-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen three of these systems installed in Desoto and Charlotte countys in the landscape beds with new landscapes, by different contractors, the pipe is brown not sure of the manufacturer. In all three instances the system totally failed due to blockage from hard water. Since the pipe was just under the mulch I was able to track it and use it like poly pipe and install microjets, even these will sometimes clog with minerals but are easily replaced.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I have seen three of these systems installed in Desoto and Charlotte countys in the landscape beds with new landscapes, by different contractors, the pipe is brown not sure of the manufacturer. In all three instances the system totally failed due to blockage from hard water. Since the pipe was just under the mulch I was able to track it and use it like poly pipe and install microjets, even these will sometimes clog with minerals but are easily replaced.
Zturn

There are a lot of the Brown drip pipes installed in landscape beds than you might realize. They are a no brainer install that means rolling a pipe out and covering it with mulch. I installed one system when I first learned about them and it failed. TRW sells more drip systems than Coastal Pump but I liked the Orbit drip nozzles and bought them off the Internet because each nozzle can be adjusted individually.

One of the big problem with drip line in turf are the ROOTS. There are more plants per sq inch so more roots to clog the drip holes.

It might be interesting to tell about your friend Johnny George's TEEPEES for citrus trees. These are Plastic boots that fit around the base of a citrus tree and look like a tee Pee. The micro jet nozzle sprays under the tree and wind and sun can not effect the spray. These greatly reduce the amount of water needed without reducing crop production. While it is a very simple design it just might make Johnny a Millionaire. My point is there is always a better mouse trap but I don't think Drip line for turf is one of them.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about the hard water but there is lot of this drip going in our area. We have installs that are in the third year. There is a Lexus dealer that put drip over his entire lawn bushes ...http://www.netafimusa.com/
Can't use the cheap stuff from Rain Bird and Hunter.