Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fellows, he just wanted to show us his new toy. To must of us it's still smaller then our smallest mower, but still it's a nice mower. I think if you can't mount a velkie on it then it's a push mower.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

JIM, got a question about your truck. is that just white vinly layed on top yur red truck on the sides? tht is really sharp looking.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice Gravely, I really wanted to get one of those, but didn't really feel like walking anymore! Ha! Very nice, hope it works well for you! As for the mulch kit, not sure what brand it is but mine was about $100...without blades.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can either buy a blade blocker like so.

OR you can buy the actual mulching kit that you have to add baffles and what not like so.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gravely_mulch_kits.cfm
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know about mulch kits. But you are right, I cannot fathom doing 300 1k sq ft lawns with "21's"... sorry I call them pushers too but lets not get into that...

Care to elaborate on that whole concept with the 21's? I would be interested to hear the reasoning behind that. Would your customers be resentful if you finished their lawns in 5 minutes? Or do they percieve larger mowers as being damaging to turf? Are operating costs less for your labor than for $6000-7000 mowers? Are you trying to keep employees busy so they are there and at your disposal for large landscape jobs?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice mower!
I am planning on getting a commercial 21" soon.
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Care to elaborate on that whole concept with the 21's? I would be interested to hear the reasoning behind that. Would your customers be resentful if you finished their lawns in 5 minutes? Or do they percieve larger mowers as being damaging to turf? Are operating costs less for your labor than for $6000-7000 mowers? Are you trying to keep employees busy so they are there and at your disposal for large landscape jobs?

Obviously you do not know what a 1000-2000 sq ft lawn with a fence around the backyard is you can do it as fast or faster with a 21 than a 36. I have both and yes you can use both on them but on majority of them the 36 is actually a pain they are so small. I am as lazy as anyone, when I mowed I rode whenever possible but with the lawns Jim mows the 21 is the clear choice. By the way I have found the smaller yards are the most profitable. The market does not let you double your charge for double the double the lot or the time spent on larger lots
Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jim, always happy to see your posts. Congratulations on the new mower. I don't service small properties like that, but I do understand the concept of using a 21. It is kind of like using my backpack blower, or my handheld. I like the 600 a lot better, but it doesn't make much sense to use it just to blow off a patio. I can sometimes grab the handheld and be done by the time I would get the 600 unloaded and put on.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The man has 300 accounts so obviuosly he has found a business model that works just fine. For 1~2k of turf anything much bigger is a waste. A 60" Lazer is not the answer to everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
I laugh about some of the people that give advice on here. It's funny how the guy's with an f150 and a trailer that have been in business for 6 months feel like they are qualified give advice to people that probably gross 100 times what they do.(no one in particular on here...general statement)

Nice mower Jim....we have a 48 just like that. Never used the mulch kit but it has been a fairly trouble free mower for us.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post

Obviously you do not know what a 1000-2000 sq ft lawn with a fence around the backyard is you can do it as fast or faster with a 21 than a 36. I have both and yes you can use both on them but on majority of them the 36 is actually a pain they are so small. I am as lazy as anyone, when I mowed I rode whenever possible but with the lawns Jim mows the 21 is the clear choice. By the way I have found the smaller yards are the most profitable. The market does not let you double your charge for double the lot or the time spent on larger lots
What would the mental diagnosis be, to make you need to answer a question like that? "You obviously dont know what a small lawn is" lol. Okay so all 300 places have fences with little gates? I dont think thats the whole reason.