Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Right now it's me and 1 employee. Depending on properties, a 2 man crew should easily gross 120k/year when you factor in extras.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would say this could be slightly higher for a two man crew that has been up and going for awhile when inlcuding the extras. One should easily be able to run into the $110 to $115K gross range with two men on the route alone.
Throw in some mulch jobs and sod and shrub fert and pest and you are sitting well into the $150/$160 range. I am not saying that the noobie on the block is going to do this offering $65 a month service, but I do not feel with a couple of years in the game these numbers are not out of line for anyone who has any business sense about them.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I would say this could be slightly higher for a two man crew that has been up and going for awhile when inlcuding the extras. One should easily be able to run into the $110 to $115K gross range with two men on the route alone.
Throw in some mulch jobs and sod and shrub fert and pest and you are sitting well into the $150/$160 range. I am not saying that the noobie on the block is going to do this offering $65 a month service, but I do not feel with a couple of years in the game these numbers are not out of line for anyone who has any business sense about them.
And with all that said what separates the men from the boys is the net of course! Does not what you gross if you can not control the P and L as you will simply be a lawn turd!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I totally agree mike. I'm currently grossing $86,580/year on 23 accounts. That is just base maintenance. I do fert for about 8-10 of those accounts. I also have a few customers that have me do work 2-3 times per year, and ive also done 2-4 installs year plus all the other extras. I'm def not at full capacity either. So, I agree your numbers are right on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I totally agree mike. I'm currently grossing $86,580/year on 23 accounts. That is just base maintenance. I do fert for about 8-10 of those accounts. I also have a few customers that have me do work 2-3 times per year, and ive also done 2-4 installs year plus all the other extras. I'm def not at full capacity either. So, I agree your numbers are right on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just keep a eye on your net Diamond and you will be alright. Your numbers are good IMHO based off the number of accounts that you have. The gross can grow as high as you want it but it is maintaining the net that gets a little harder with every account because your expenses do nothing but climb. Still I am not sure about others but I think your gross looks overall good for you as this is what your third or going into your fourth year?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Just keep a eye on your net Diamond and you will be alright. Your numbers are good IMHO based off the number of accounts that you have. The gross can grow as high as you want it but it is maintaining the net that gets a little harder with every account because your expenses do nothing but climb. Still I am not sure about others but I think your gross looks overall good for you as this is what your third or going into your fourth year?
Yea, I've been in biz for 3.5 years, so I'm in my fourth. Also, the past 3 years I have purchased a lot of equipment as well. Expenses do go up but only to a point. Like you, I'm trying to pick up more biz where I am already at. So drive time doesn't get affected, and the only variable costs that go up are fuel directly related to the property and labor. Your fixed expenses cost you less the more you take in(again, to a certain level. If you add another crew, you need more insurance and what not). I don't know if I will ever add on a second crew though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Diamond, If you only work with 1 crew, you limit how much you can make. I have 4 crews and they each make $150k+. I personally make $10k a month. It's more of a headache to add crews, but the benefit can be great!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

My best customer started out as $200 per month. His house was a dump when he first hired me. He wanted a few plants installed at first... That turned into just shy of $500,000 of landscape installation. He now pays $500 per month and he usually pays with cash!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day off? View Post
My best customer started out as $200 per month. His house was a dump when he first hired me. He wanted a few plants installed at first... That turned into just shy of $500,000 of landscape installation. He now pays $500 per month and he usually pays with cash!
I find that hard to believe. 500-K in landscape should be a couple grand per month at least.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

By landscape install I meant... Koi pond, rainwater collection system, paver driveway, pavers around pool, 2 dry river beds, flagstone patio, retaining wall, 5 semi trucks fully loaded from Palmco, lighting, micro irrigation, lots of boulders and more. Most of the actual plant material is low maintenance. I only trim the dead or yellow branches from the palms. weeding and fertilizer is charged separately.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day off? View Post
By landscape install I meant... Koi pond, rainwater collection system, paver driveway, pavers around pool, 2 dry river beds, flagstone patio, retaining wall, 5 semi trucks fully loaded from Palmco, lighting, micro irrigation, lots of boulders and more. Most of the actual plant material is low maintenance. I only trim the dead or yellow branches from the palms. weeding and fertilizer is charged separately.
Gotchya-that makes more sense.
Posted via Mobile Device