Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is some very good advice! Courtesy and politeness are two things that will take you a long way....not only in this business, but in "life" in general. It always amazes me how many people don't know this...or don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonLawns View Post
I just finished reading through all 35 pages. I practice a lot of these tips and learned even more good practices. I didn't think I would be able to add anything, but here are a couple more things that I do.

It is very easy to "zone out" while trimming. Try to scan ahead of where you are going periodically (even back where you came from) to make sure there are not people walking towards you while you are kicking up grass and debris. People appreciate this. This is mostly for when you are trimming sidewalks.

While I am blowing I try to get the sidewalks first but if for some reason I start somewhere else (the street or driveway) if I see people walking towards the house I am at I will jump to the sidewalk and blow it off before they get there (when possible...I don't take off in a sprint around the house to get to them). People seem to appreciate that. It may be small, but if they are thinking about hiring someone, they will remember friendly gestures like that....you were going to blow the sidewalk anyway.

Always wave and say hi to neighbors.

If a neighbor asks if you can help them out one time while they are on vacation, do it like it is your prized yard. I just got a new full time customer this way last month.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs View Post
Amen, I agree with all of the safety stuff.

Something I like to do is keep a couple of wound trimmer head spools in my toolbox. That way if I run out of string mid property I can be back to trimming in just a few moments and I don't have to stand in the heat and try to wind all that string.

Also, I made a little sign to go on all my mowers that says "DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID." It may sound silly but when you see it six or seven hours a day it does kind of sink in.
Buy some speed-feed heads from expressmowerparts and it only takes 30 seconds to load 3 full armlengths of string...you don't even have to shut down the trimmer. Carry an extra coil of string in your cargo pants pocket so you don't have to walk back to the truck if you run out mid stream. Best investment you'll ever make...speed feed heads. Trust me on that one.
-David
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGator View Post
Many times you find people who just want a "cheap" price for a "mow, blow and go" job. When I come across one of these I explain to them that the minimum I do is to mow, edge, weedeater and blow the walks. My reasoning is because when I pull away from their house, what the neighbors see that I did is going to be the impression they all have of the quality of work I do. If the job doesn't give the house curb appeal, then the neighbors and others driving by will not think much of my work. The explanation usually works and I get a higher price for my "basic cut". If they don't embrace the explanation and give me the job, I ask them to find someone else because it is my reputation that is at stake when I pull my trailer away from their house.
Well said. I won't take a job that the customer wants done in a half-a**ed manner. Top notch EVERY time.
-David
Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGator View Post
Many times you find people who just want a "cheap" price for a "mow, blow and go" job. When I come across one of these I explain to them that the minimum I do is to mow, edge, weedeater and blow the walks. My reasoning is because when I pull away from their house, what the neighbors see that I did is going to be the impression they all have of the quality of work I do. If the job doesn't give the house curb appeal, then the neighbors and others driving by will not think much of my work. The explanation usually works and I get a higher price for my "basic cut". If they don't embrace the explanation and give me the job, I ask them to find someone else because it is my reputation that is at stake when I pull my trailer away from their house.
Well said. I won't take a job that the customer wants done in a half-a**ed manner. Top notch EVERY time.
-David
\
A friend that got me started gave me the same advise along with charging the right but fair amount so I WANT the job. Things have went well and I have never looked back.

Few more things,

Hand saw, foldout type like a gerber (it has saved me trouble AND made me money). I cut a 6" 12ft pine down for a contractor buddy last year and made $100 in 10min because he wanted it down RIGHT THEN!

SPARE TIRES AND FIX A FLAT! PLUG KIT!!AIR TANK!!!

Pack your lunch, snacks and water. This is a hard one for me because I love fast food/junk snacks. You will feel better and be $50-$60 richer each week!

Great site guys!

Z
Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll put in even though I'm new. My neighbor had a service and without fail they always parked in front of my yard and 50% of the time blocked part of my drive. Never in a million years would I ever call them for a quote.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

A can of mosquito spray THIS season!!! This mild winter we've had.....the skeeters are gonna be baaaad! Keep a can of chew, snuff, or dip... (whatever anybody calls it) for them bee stings. Takes the sting away REAL quick.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Good words

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspeed130 View Post
\
A friend that got me started gave me the same advise along with charging the right but fair amount so I WANT the job. Things have went well and I have never looked back.

Few more things,

Hand saw, foldout type like a gerber (it has saved me trouble AND made me money). I cut a 6" 12ft pine down for a contractor buddy last year and made $100 in 10min because he wanted it down RIGHT THEN!

SPARE TIRES AND FIX A FLAT! PLUG KIT!!AIR TANK!!!

Pack your lunch, snacks and water. This is a hard one for me because I love fast food/junk snacks. You will feel better and be $50-$60 richer each week!

Great site guys!

Z
This will be the beginning for me as I open up my own landscaping maintenance/firewood Biz. and as I was reading thru I noticed the above mentioned explanation for the cut, blow and go. PERFECT! ...and I'm running with that one!

I'd also like to confess when reading about "SPARE TIRES AND FIX A FLAT! PLUG KIT!!AIR TANK!!!" I was like "C'mon already!" But as I read on thru...you guys GOT ME! Out with "the old" and in with "the new". Change takes time and what the H--- do I know anyway right? Worked in the Biz for years but never ran my own. GOOD WORDS fellas! MUCH Appreciated!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

good reading material

thanks for all tips, im NEW NEW and gonna need all the advice i can get...it's almost a week worth of reading, i just retired in Nov., and looking forward to my new career...a lots of dang good life lines thrown out for us neebies

Last edited by FlCutBuddy; 03-05-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First timer

Hope this ends up in the right place. I just finished reading all 46 pages and making a list of things I'll need on my truck. This will be my first season in the bus. I've already got my license, insurance, and equipment. I put a ad in the paper and passed out bus cards. Still waiting for my first mowing account. I'm not too worried about it I know God will provide for me. By the way I love all the men of faith on here. I went a little over board on the equipment for just starting out but I have a full time job now that I would like to be able to walk away from some day. So I figure I would buy it now so I don't have to worry about spending alot of money once I'm on my own. I went with all scag equipment (34kh 61 cheetah, 48 vride 24fx, and a sfw 16bv 36in). I also have all stihl hand tools that I have bought over the years. I know alot of people on here will think I'm crazy for spending that kind of money starting out but at sometime you will need that much stuff. Having it now will save me time that I won't have that much of since I have a full time job also. All under warranty for a few years means no costly repairs (hopefully). Two of the mowers I got at a very good price and I paid cash for the other is 0% for two years and I can afford it with any accounts so why not? I would like to thank the guy who started this thead for the good info and lives saved. Casey
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Hope this ends up in the right place. I just finished reading all 46 pages and making a list of things I'll need on my truck. This will be my first season in the bus. I've already got my license, insurance, and equipment. I put a ad in the paper and passed out bus cards. Still waiting for my first mowing account. I'm not too worried about it I know God will provide for me. By the way I love all the men of faith on here. I went a little over board on the equipment for just starting out but I have a full time job now that I would like to be able to walk away from some day. So I figure I would buy it now so I don't have to worry about spending alot of money once I'm on my own. I went with all scag equipment (34kh 61 cheetah, 48 vride 24fx, and a sfw 16bv 36in). I also have all stihl hand tools that I have bought over the years. I know alot of people on here will think I'm crazy for spending that kind of money starting out but at sometime you will need that much stuff. Having it now will save me time that I won't have that much of since I have a full time job also. All under warranty for a few years means no costly repairs (hopefully). Two of the mowers I got at a very good price and I paid cash for the other is 0% for two years and I can afford it with any accounts so why not? I would like to thank the guy who started this thead for the good info and lives saved. Casey
GOOD FOR YOU Casey! You'll do just fine bro! God HAS your back, NO doubt!

...and about "what others may think"? I was on a different thread here a week ago back and it got pretty heated. I got pretty BRAZEN with some "mouthy" and "cocky" veterans in the Biz who think they are God. The comments got deleted. Young punks and old heads, it didn't matter who they were but what DID matter to me is how they "thought" they could throw out their 2 cents of pride and god complex to make themselves "feel good".

I came here as a new biz owner. This Spring is my first year, did all the door to door business post card planting and actually have a mulch bid this afternoon at 1pm. Purchased my mower used and other equip. new. Spent just over 3k for everything, trailer and misc. stuff included along with the LLC.

The ONLY One you need to remember whose "thoughts" really count or what "they" may think IS The Lords...cause every other thought contrary is nothing but a test/trial of faith. GOOD FOR YOU that God blessed you to be able to get ALL THAT STUFF! Hit 'Em Hard bro. cause you'll do just fine! Oh, and I have the same goal...to literally walk away from my day job (solo operator and planning on keeping it that way) God Bless bro!