Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

So, what do you PRO's charge to put down 4 bags of something... on 33,000 sq. ft of yard.I told a PRO to "do me right".. He put down 4 bags of, I don't know what.. fert. with pre emergent...
After I get a few quotes from you guys.. I'll tell you what he hit me for.. I'm just a homeowner that normally does his own thing... but wanted to try out one of you guys...
Screw it.. I'll tell you.. he hit me for 300 bucks, could not have been there for more the 1 hour. Hell, I better have grass growing on the roof.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran into the same as the OP this year. This is actually the first year I have been approached by of my customers (10 or more so far), wanting to know what I would charge, as they are unhappy with their TG service. First was a 90k sq. ft. nursing home property. After I gave my proposal, I was at first dumb-founded to see TG priced it at $140.00 per app, INCLUDING grub control. In fact, on their contract, every application reads 'fertilizer, broadleaf weed, insect and crabgrass control. (as needed/ weather dependent). SO, with that said, I simply ask my customers what they are getting for their money...To date, I have not had one customer who even has a clue what TG is putting on their property. "For all I know, they are watering my lawn. They are only here about 5 minutes, I dont think they do the whole lawn" was one customers reply. One customer has had service for 6 years with TG (showed me invoices) on turf and shrubs/ trees. With this customer, In our initial walk around, I found hardshell scale on plants, large patches of crabgrass in the lawn and signs of grubs (crows and animals tearing up the back lawn pretty bad). I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another fun call was a customer who has had aerating/ overseeding done for several years in the fall, but still has a very weak lawn. After reading a few of his older invoices, I noticed that the overseeding was done late in the fall, and pr-emergent was applied early the next spring, each year. Job security I suppose.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceral View Post
So, what do you PRO's charge to put down 4 bags of something... on 33,000 sq. ft of yard.I told a PRO to "do me right".. He put down 4 bags of, I don't know what.. fert. with pre emergent...
After I get a few quotes from you guys.. I'll tell you what he hit me for.. I'm just a homeowner that normally does his own thing... but wanted to try out one of you guys...
Screw it.. I'll tell you.. he hit me for 300 bucks, could not have been there for more the 1 hour. Hell, I better have grass growing on the roof.
About 190.00 plus tax. Were those 50lb bags? Was it just fertilizer?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromNY View Post
I ran into the same as the OP this year. This is actually the first year I have been approached by of my customers (10 or more so far), wanting to know what I would charge, as they are unhappy with their TG service. First was a 90k sq. ft. nursing home property. After I gave my proposal, I was at first dumb-founded to see TG priced it at $140.00 per app, INCLUDING grub control. In fact, on their contract, every application reads 'fertilizer, broadleaf weed, insect and crabgrass control. (as needed/ weather dependent). SO, with that said, I simply ask my customers what they are getting for their money...To date, I have not had one customer who even has a clue what TG is putting on their property. "For all I know, they are watering my lawn. They are only here about 5 minutes, I dont think they do the whole lawn" was one customers reply. One customer has had service for 6 years with TG (showed me invoices) on turf and shrubs/ trees. With this customer, In our initial walk around, I found hardshell scale on plants, large patches of crabgrass in the lawn and signs of grubs (crows and animals tearing up the back lawn pretty bad). I guess you get what you pay for.
1.55/K. That's insane!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

All I know was , he said it was a fertlizer with a pre emergent.. 4 bags.. He said they cost 42$ per bag. I don't know what lb.
300$ sounded steep to me.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well it is $42 a bag if the consumer buys it at Home Depot. If you buy it from JDL it's less than half that.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceral View Post
All I know was , he said it was a fertlizer with a pre emergent.. 4 bags.. He said they cost 42$ per bag. I don't know what lb.
300$ sounded steep to me.
If you dont know what he put on your lawn,
hire someone else.
As far as the $300 for your size yard, totally depends on what
was done.
Could be a good price,

And I have never told a customer what a bag costs
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

its that time of year where they have hired on all those new sales people who will be gone in a few months. the sales person has to sell so much to even keep the job, atleast thats how it was when i was a tech for trugreen. most of the sales people that they bring in have no clue what they are talking about, they probally sold vacums or cars the week before.. lol. that was my biggest complaint to my boss. The sales person would lie on the square footage to get the price low to get the sale and we were stuck with an under priced yard. and the goals went up every year. i would have to do 40-50 yards a day if i wanted saturday off. shitty pay for the amount of work you would have to do.

for entertainment it was fun to go in to the salesroom to make my call aheads for the next day and listen to the crap the sales people would say to the people on the phone. it was always good for a laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineline View Post
Did a quote for a customer who has 36K and I was at 180.00, TG.......77.00. Seriously, they are at about $2/K. Ridiculous!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLANDS View Post
And I have never told a customer what a bag costs
especially when it's a lie, like $42/bag...most of us pay about $18 or so per bag and i'm sure TG gets it even cheaper because they simply buy more...

TG in a nutshell...they are an advertising company, not a chemical company...they have a huge turnover rate, prob don't keep an employee for more than a year...and four bags for 33K sq. ft. would be put down at a rate of roughly 6 lbs/1000...isn't that a little much?