Register free!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am a believer that pre-emerges chemically root prune desirable plants. Therefore I don't agree with broadcast applications.

Somewhere in the middle each person finds what works best for them. Cultural practise are as important as chemical if not more important. Proper irrigation and good mulch go a long way in bed weed control. What I found was, the same spots are where the weeds always grow. Therefore I added a Pre Emerge to my roundup and it works for me. Call it mixing my own "Roundup Extend"

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agree on this. I deal with a lot of mondo grass, which is very sensitive to herbicides and how they are applied. DNA herbicides and Dimension will root prune mondo, but good, causing it to thin out. Ronstar and Gallery do not root prune, however Ronstar G will kill mondo, but the sprayable formulations are safe as long as they are irrigated immediately after application. I do not apply DNA herbicides or Dimension to any bed unless there is a known problem with grassy weeds. Occasional emergence of grassy weeds does not alarm me because there are highly selective postmemergent herbicides for grass control. I am more concerned about broadleaves due to the limited options for postemergent control.

The same herbicides that cause root pruning in turf will do the same in ornamentals. Those herbicides are also available as granules and cheap. FreeHand and Snapshot contain DNA herbicides. I would be especially concerned about DNA herbicides on sand. Where the potential for leaching into the root zone of desirable plants is highest.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green Doctor

I no longer do bed weed control for the reasons stated above. (no Real Profit for me). However for larger Industrial or Agricultural applications like fence lines or parking lots etc I have found the safest least expensive Pre emerge Herbicide. PROBLEM IS IT IS NOT LABELED FOR HORTICULTURE. Therefore I am not giving the name of that product, but I am sure you know or can guess what it is. Legume Farmers use a lot of it and it isn't a ground sterilizer. Woody ornamental are not effected. I turned Z Turncutter on to it because he does mostly Large estates that are Zoned Agricultural in Florida's real Farm Country. Just about 2 weeks ago I ask him for feed back and He is happy with the response or lack of weed response. He plans to continue to use it. Only next time he will buy it direct instead of a sample from me. BTW I believe I made a Dollar $2.98 on that big sale and I think Z turn was very happy I got so rich from the deal because it worked for him.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know what it is and it does not sterilize soil or kill trees. But it provides long lasting control of broadleaf and grassy weeds. On areas near desirable vegetation such as property lines and non planted areas in nurseries, my go to is diuron, Goal, and Pendulum Aquacap. No problems with run off killing trees, shrubs or container plants.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Does Plant-It-Earth who is associated with the turfmarker brand not do this? From the literature I have seen them leave on customers doors around here recently they list that they keep weeds out of the bed areas as one of their services that makes them different from other providers along with video recording the application on each property. They are located in the Tampa area from my understanding.

Your point is taken though on many do not offer this service or are willing to offer bed services of any kind.
Yes they do. That's who I refer to my customers. All of my customers that use them have very healthy yards.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day off? View Post
Yes they do. That's who I refer to my customers. All of my customers that use them have very healthy yards.
How do they video tape the application. Is it a little gopro camera that they stick to their hat or what. Do the customers have to request it or it loaded on a wepage somewhere for there review?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
How do they video tape the application. Is it a little gopro camera that they stick to their hat or what. Do the customers have to request it or it loaded on a wepage somewhere for there review?
I have no idea? I think they do it for liability reasons? I do know that they leave a detailed list of chemicals used and why.