Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

liquid fert rates

I'm running a PG centri and want to supplement my granular program with 44-0-0 and or 21-0-0. What rates are you guys going at and what and how long is your residual. I'm thinking about 1/4 lb N/K and get about 2 weeks out of it.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not recommend liquid fert in a ride-on, mixture too hot. Not much agitation. So you are thinking about adding 17 pounds of urea to your 8 gallon tank? Really?

I am thinking...too concentrated, too hot...not enough volume to prevent burning the grass.

True, I have used urea solution from my large tank to fill my Permagreen at times when I ran out of water, but it only contained about 5 pounds of urea per tank. And about 14 percent of the proper herbicide concentration--so herbicide had to be added.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No liquid fertilizers from a low volume boomless sprayer, which is what a PG is. The mix is way too hot. Especially on lawns where there is no irrigation. I can put down mixes that have 3/4-1 lb of N in 2 gallons per 1000, but that is followed by my switching on irrigation before I drive away. On big lawns, I am spraying ahead of each irrigation zone. Even the expensive golf green foliars such as Griggs or SeaQuential, require at least 2 gallons per 1000.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-11-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot about the other thread I posted similar to this. I need to calibrate and see but it's probably low volumes on my permagreen. How about a liquid iron product at 3 oz/K that would be about 96oz in 7 gallons of water. That doesn't sound too difficult.

Most labels that recommend 2 gal water rates are for soil drench. 1 gal rates are foliar. I need to calibrate and experiment I guess.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep forgetting I'm not using a Cushman anymore. lol!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Iron is not good as a foliar unless the spray system deposits evenly and accurately. I do not consider flood nozzles used as a boomless spray system even and accurate enough for that. Think spots in the lawn. A Cushman with a boom is probably the best for applying iron.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll have to check the calibration at a lower speed setting to get my water rates up. There's got to be a happy medium somewhere.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sprayed about 2K with my back pack using 1 gal of water mixed with liquid iron and ammonia sulfate. Killer response!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is the green grass formula used by golf supers and warm season LCO's that know. The color from this application lasts as well, because the ammonium sulfate is absorbed and supplies sulfur in addition to nitrogen. It is also economical at the rates being used as well. 1/2 lb ammonium sulfate + the required amount of iron supplement in a gallon of water. I use 1/4 lb ammonium sulfate + 1/4 lb potassium nitrate because I believe in always supplying potassium when N is being applied.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is that a 1/2 lb N from A/S or 1/2 lb A/S per gallon. I need to snap a photo but I'm the only lawn that is awake right now. Kinda funny to drive around and every lawn is brown from winter then you come to mine and it's emerald green already. I had mowed about 1/2 an inch off about a week ago which woke it up then the mild spray got it going.