Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2003, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The lazer's From 02 and newer Have a Micro Adjustment On The rear Of the deck, It Make's It really Easy To Make adjustment's. John.
It Looks as If You Over Looked This In You Big hunt For Info!
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2003, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recently noticed by ZHP cutting a little lower than the deck height setting. Yesterday in the rain(g figure) I nted that the discharge side had drpped abut 3/4 f an inch based on measurements. I never had touched them before and all the bolts were tight when I went t make adjustments. I will say that making adjustments are difficult if yu have never done it.. I had the manual but I must say it was a test patience.
I had t take a link up in the rear chain t get it closer to the height of the trim side, and then adjust the front so the angle (front to back) matched. In the end I am abut a 1/4" low yet but better. Praying for more patience (not rain) to get back at it.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Tharrell
OT, sortof. How much air are you running and are both sides the same? Be sure and use a "low pressure guage". The mowers at our shop come crated with enough air to knock down a brick wall, we set them at 14 psi. Also, use a tape measure to check the circumference of your tires at the proper psi, one may actually be taller than the other. We sell your mower and I can tell you all it will hang on a hill better than anything else we sell, except the Ferris.
Well, I've ran all sorts of different air pressures. When mine arrived from the factory they had a lot of air in them for sure! The dealer took them down to 15 PSI in all 4 as the manual called for. Anyways, now when it's raining I make little tweaks like that. It helps me not be so disgusted about a wasted day.

I came down a little 1st and promptly got a flat on one of the castors from bumping a curb. I was so mad after getting it to seal again that I put 20 PSI in them all because the castors felt good and firm there. Since then, I've backed down several times just to see if there is any real noticable difference in tire performance at different pressures.

Anyways, right now I'm at 9 PSI in both rears and 11 in both up front, that's down from 11 all the way around. I have a guage that seems to be accurate down to 5 PSI. But I have not measured the tires with a tape yet.

Yeah, this little mower is "trick" on hills for sure. I'm well pleased. It's only real weakness on hills is the same one all rigid frame Z's suffer from. That's where the strenght of the Ferris IS system shows its merit.

I was really impressed by the looks of the Ferris design. I was interested in the IS 1000. But I couldn't find a dealer. I used the web site dealer search and contacted one about 200 miles away. He gave me a price I was all over on a 48" and a 52" so I scheduled a demo and made the trip down.

The dealership was in flat country. So I can't report as to how it did on hills. But I will say I'm glad I didn't attempt it. I thought the controls were extremely jumpy. It didn't take me long to loose interest. I don't know if they are all that way or not, you would know better than me. But I was plain upset about it.

I could have hauled a 52" home for $5,799.

However, other than the controls, I'm still sold on the Ferris IS design. Actually I'm more sold on it now than I was then. If and when I'm in the market for a Z with a big cut, Ferris will be the 1st one I try and I hope the jumpy controls are long gone.

For bumpy, rolling and uneven terrain, you just can't beat the suspension period. But the big plus with Ferris is that the deck follows however the suspension pivots. That makes for a better contour cut with all decks and is a big plus with larger decks. Ferris is way out ahead of every MFG with that and I think we have Simplicity MFG to thank for that.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-19-2003, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Strawbridge Lawn,

Thanks! I don't feel all alone in this now. I appreciate your post. When I get around to figuring out a good modification for these adjustments and put it through some field testing, I'll pass the info on to you so that you'll be able to upgrade if you want.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-19-2003, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There must have been a problem with the controls on your Ferris demo unit. That's the first thing I noticed that differentiated it from other Z's. I thought it was extremely smooth and precise. Also, Ferris was way ahead before Simplicity bought them or Snapper. Thank you Simplicity for keeping Snapper and Ferris alive. I just hope they don't homogenize all the brands like MTD or GMC. Look at Bolens. They used to be a classic, now they're just another MTD at Lowes.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ENVY,
When I was 14 I had a John Deere 212 Garden tractor with a mini hydraulic pump. Reversing hardware allowed use of a small light materials bucket in front. With the mower deck attached this same hydraulic system raised and lowered the mower deck. There were no chains. hmmmm. Of course we are talking abut a different beast now, but it is funny how abandoned ideas of the past seem relevent again today using new creativity and materials.

r
Gary
Old 06-22-2003, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tharrell,

Dang man, are you kidding me? I'd hate to think Ferris didn't get a fair shake from me because of that. The hydro's on the one I tried were horrible! Maybe that's why the low price? Or is that just a fair price?

Anyways, I drove the IS 1000 all over the place around the dealership. The controls were way too quick and jumpy. It tore the heck out of the turf when turning ect... I finally gave up on it after attempting to follow around the curb line with it. Trying make smooth curved turns was really bad. I parked it and never looked back.

The Gravely controls felt sorta that way to me too. But not near as bad. Honestly, I didn't really think anyones were really all that smooth except Yazoo and Grasshopper. As far as controls go, I thought the Grasshopper was the best, hands down and Ferris the worst.

Now since you mentioned Snapper, have you checked out there new Z-Force? The 52" looked pretty slick to me. They were just starting to arrive when I bought the Yazoo. I would have demoed one but I had already decided on a 48" deck by then. The Snapper 48" also had a 48" rear track width, so it was out.

I don't believe you'll see much homogenizing of these brands. I think Simplicity is content to let Snapper do it's thing because they have such a following in the homeowner market and I believe they will continue to let Ferris build their line and the Derby line.