Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much to charge for mulch and edging?

Just starting out and I need to know what I should be charging to do mulch and edging. I was thinking around 30 a hour but I really have no idea. Any help would be great.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I know you are wanting pricing help but you are opening a can of worms on here with a bunch of people......you'll see. Most guys don't talk pricing. You develop your price based on time, equipment, insurance, etc. good luck man, I hope you do well.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozell431 View Post
I know you are wanting pricing help but you are opening a can of worms on here with a bunch of people......you'll see. Most guys don't talk pricing. You develop your price based on time, equipment, insurance, etc. good luck man, I hope you do well.
^^^^

Like above states only you know how much you can charge to make $$ how much mulch, how you plan to move it how many helpers, you haul it or get it delivered too many variables to count

Hustler Super Z 66" XR7
Exmark Metro 48" WB
Stihl BR600
Stihl BG86
Stihl FS90
Shindiawa T242
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD
6x12 landscape trailer
Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I charge $65 for a yard of mulch installed.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to give yall as much info as I can:
Solo oper
I'm picking up and hauling
lic and insur
about a 20 mile round trip
I make 20 and some change at my full time job so I was thinking I need to make aleast that all said and done. Just need to know if I'm lowballen or over charging. My work is very good and I don't leave any mess for customers to clean up.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hamiltonlawncare

Hamilton you are only a hour away.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want to price it just high enough to make a tad more than your regular job. Thats whats wrong with people pricing things based on hourly.

Factor in your mulch costs.....Add labor. You have to assume that you can spread at least a yard an hour. Don't forget the time to pick it up from the mulch yard, and fuel for delivery, etc.

Now.....If your mulch costs you 22 dollars a yard plus tax, as mine does, then you know your material cost based on how much you need.

Labor....1 yard an hour ( I can spread 2 an hour if I hustle). If you pay a helper 10 bucks and you want to make 20 bucks an hour....(remember that now there are two people so you can spread more per hour), you know your cost for labor

Now, if you and your helper can spread 3 yards in 2 hours, you have 22 a yard plus tax (70.46 for 3 yards based on MY tax rate here), plus 60 in labor.

NOT factoring in anything else except labor and material, you are looking at charging about 43.50 a yard for mulch. This didn't include your time getting it, or a delivery charge, or your cost for fuel to get it (depends on how you get it to the job site) IF you have it delivered, small jobs cost you more than big ones. (I can have UP TO 23 yards delivered in one trip at a cost of 55 bucks, but I can have 1 yard delivered for that same 55 bucks....see my point?)

Then you have to figure cost of the tools you need to spread. Do you need a trencher? 100 bucks for rental for a day. Shovel? Wheelbarrow? Rakes? Tarps? blower?
The money for those items has to come from somewhere. Thats where your markup goes. If you just bill based on a few factors, eventually, you won't make money. you might make a few bucks on the first job or two, but eventually you have to replace things.

That long rant being said, I charge about 60 bucks a yard delivered and installed. The cheap customers balk...the good ones are happy.
Greensboro NC
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I charge $55-$70 per yard of mulch installed. You have to factor in how much bed prep, how far you have to haul in wheelbarrows, and if it is open area or you are installing the mulch around a bunch of flowers which takes longer.

If you can work fast and have good work ethic I would stay away from hourly mulching.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Usually around $70-$80 a yard installed plus delivery charge. Go with the yard/hour ratio just to be safe. Add extra for haul away. Edging driveways or sidewalks are usually included in my mow service but I think .10/ft would work. You won't make much off of that but it's a start

www.myyardpeople.com

MTD 18.5hp LT 42"
Bowlens 4.5hp 22"
1 Ryobi 31cc Trimmer
1 Ryobi 31cc Edger
1 Ryobi spare power head
Troy Built TB4BP 32cc Blower
Ryobi RY10520 20" Chainsaw
Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is why we can't tell you how much to charge. My price ranges from $85-$105 avg. per yrd installed on hardwood. A lot of variables to consider. Location, transpotation, opperating cost, etc.
Good luck!