Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeriderVisa1 View Post
We just moved back to Cali to the Santa Cruz area, what are some good seed varities to overseed lawns ?
not sure if they go that far north, but Marathon sod has some good fesuce or bermuda varieties. I believe they are based out of Oxnard, but have branches a few counties north and south of ventura co. All their varieties are designed in regards to the california climate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1994 View Post
not sure if they go that far north, but Marathon sod has some good fesuce or bermuda varieties. I believe they are based out of Oxnard, but have branches a few counties north and south of ventura co. All their varieties are designed in regards to the california climate
Posted via Mobile Device
In my experience, the Marathon 1,2, and 3 varieties grown by Southland sod lack the drought tolerant properties that they are hawked to have. It is a constant battle fighting dry spots, insects and keeping the density of Marathon up in my area (Brea, Ca). Marathon requires a annual renovation in the fall to re-seed all the grass that died off during the summer, because few realize this, Marathon lawns often are poor quality and decline within a couple years. Fescue is a cool season and transition zone grass and shouldn't be planted in Southern California's arid climate. I mostly find Marathon lawns installed by tract home installers and landscapers ignorant of our climate.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Fescue/ bluegrass

Hey guys , here in the Santa Cruz area looking for a mix for Fall overseeding and planting new lawns, any thoughts or varities people have used, Thanks !!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for employment

Looking for employment, have over 20yrs in the Buisness, owned my own Landscape Maint. biz for 13yrs, experience in turf disease, spraying, sprinkler repairs & upgrades, managment. Looking for a good, honest Company that takes care of there employees, any info would be great Thanks !!! 559-737-0159 Eric
Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Looking for employment, have over 20yrs in the Buisness, owned my own Landscape Maint. biz for 13yrs, experience in turf disease, spraying, sprinkler repairs & upgrades, managment. Looking for a good, honest Company that takes care of there employees, any info would be great Thanks !!! 559-737-0159 Eric
Come to Fresno. You'll get hired quick.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Employment

We had are Biz in Visalia, Wife wanted to be by the beach, so how is the Fresno Market ?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
We had are Biz in Visalia, Wife wanted to be by the beach, so how is the Fresno Market ?
It's getting flooded. Everybody wants to be a gardner. Put a mower in the back of your truck and you're a gardner. It's harder to get new work I'll tell you that. Don't mean any disrespect by this question, but what you ethinicity?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Employment

I hear ya thats how Visalia was a couple years ago when we sold our buisness, people got to do what they got to do, made it hard for the people that had employees, workmans Comp, etc.... We had our Biz for 14yrs and many things changed during that time, its hard thats for sure, Im white !!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I hear ya thats how Visalia was a couple years ago when we sold our buisness, people got to do what they got to do, made it hard for the people that had employees, workmans Comp, etc.... We had our Biz for 14yrs and many things changed during that time, its hard thats for sure, Im white !!
Hey, I saw a story on the news a few years ago about a lawn business in Visalia. Their business was being hurt by all the unlicensed, uninsured low balling characters. The company even took as far as complaining to the city. I mean I agree, it's so unfair that you're trying to run a legitimate business with all the proper things required to be successful from workers comp to commercial insurance. And these other guys don't. Anyways, was that your company on the news? Just thought I ask.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

They are mostly being hurt by CUSTOMERS who hire irresponsible clowns to do their yard work in my opinion.

My thoughts on lowballing

1. Guys that lowball are inexperienced or uneducated or both

2. There are certainly guys on this site that lowball

3. Savvy customers (relatively few) realize the importance of dealing with a licensed, insured business. They want the people who work in their yard to be knowledge-able in regards to plants, turf, and pests and are willing to pay for this service.

4. Uneducated customers (majority) don't know anything, and just go for the bottom $ price. This customer type creates the demand for lowballing, and as long as there's significant demand there will always be people willing to fulfill it.

5. There is virtually no enforcement at the state level. You're supposed to be a licensed contractor to do jobs over $500, have a Pest Control Qualified Applicator Certificate for maintenance related work, have a business license in every city and county you work in, have liability and WC insurance. In reality you could run a landscaping/maintenance business for your whole career with out ever having the state step in and tell you what's what.