Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Spanish style landscape design, in MID Tn

Just had a customer move into a mexican/spanish style home with a blank canvas as far as the landscaping goes. She just had me clear a large portion in the backyard leaving about 7 big pines and the rest is fresh dirt. I am trying to find a book, website or something that will give me some influence of what kinds of plants to use that will grow in TN and give it the feel that she is wanting. I also was looking at Mediterranean styles just having a hard time. Maybe I should take a trip to mexico and just write it off to explore! I have Home Design Studio Pro so making an actual design is not a big deal but finding the right shrubs, trees and plants for the zone is the issue. Im located in middle Tennessee. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated this is only my 3rd installation but it could be a portfolio kind of job if I can accomplish it. Thanks in advance
Two shindaiwa blowers
Two shindaiwa T242
One Stihl weedeater/ pole trimmer
Redmax hedge trimmers
18ft trailer... SOLO Operation 45 accounts and full time student.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

it can be done! if you're not comfortable designing just hire a reputable designer and incorporate things that will grow in your area that though maybe not true to arizona/spain give the illusion there of. we did this project a couple years ago and though I'm not sharing all the pics it was a very similar situation.

Brandon Vaughan
Toms Creek Nursery & Landscaping
www.tomscreek.com
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very difficult to do, I finished one in north Atlanta on a Spanish style house, super modern, and placed In a neighborhood with a wooded lot "feel" I ended up losing my as$ on the job and it looks like garbage. Here's what I learned, use arborvitae to break up the edges, rock and boulders and a lot of grass mater more than plants. Grasses, yucca, potted topiaries, some rosemary, mondo grass, junipers, cryptomeria bald cypress, weeping yupon, Otto luken laurel, tea olive on large walls as a hedge. Creeping Jenny as an addition to pathways and boulders. send me a picture, cheaplawns@gmail.com... That job I did took me 8 weeks to complete so I've had a ton of hands on experience and have learned exactly how to design these homes

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

hey guys i appreciate the feedback. That house looks similar to hers and yes it is going to be a very hard task to complete and give it the feel she is looking for.
Two shindaiwa blowers
Two shindaiwa T242
One Stihl weedeater/ pole trimmer
Redmax hedge trimmers
18ft trailer... SOLO Operation 45 accounts and full time student.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Use a versatile design style, dont get too caught up in "Spanish style", use low(18-24") hedges to add structure to the beds and groups of low growing perennials in front of the hedge. Behind the hedge should be flowering plants like Knockout Roses used in large groupings for a uniform look that offer large splashes of color. Dont get carried away with using a ton of different plants or you will end up with the " 3 here, 5 there, 3 here, 5 there" look that nobody wants because it doesnt looked designed. A good design should have flow and everything should appear to have its own place, hedges will add a clean look that appears well cared for and they should have long sweeping curves, not short choppy curves. A proper perennial bed should be full, when the plants are fully grown you should not be able to tell how many you planted. This overall look translates to any type of home because its versatile and timeless, clean and well kept yet large splashes of soft perennials that bloom add a nice flow. Maybe a meandering path of desert looking small stone through some of the beds that will make maintenance easier and tie the Spanish style of the home in the landscape. A few well placed ornamental trees will offer some height and a different element without blocking the look of the home. Keep it simple