Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wow
I knowfirst hand the price sucks down there A couple moved up here from there gave them a price for there lawn here They said I was high for a month fee I told them thats per time not a month price they was shock and pass on my bid Then week later called me back said I was the cheapest in my area After talking to them about FL I couldnt see anybody making a living down there in mowing
Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
I'd like to know how many legitimate hits turn into sales from an LCO web site.
Job

From Past experience of having both an educational website and a sales Website, Both sucked at getting customers. But if you are to a viable business you need one just like you need at least a 1 inch add in the Yellow pages. Don't forget DEX KNOWS Internet phone book either.

Bottom line is the more you tell the more you sell. Therefore websites and Phone Books etc are only there for back up to your word of mouth and other advertisement. If you ask a customer how they found you, they will say Phone book and not tell you they spend hours on your website before calling you.

All individual advertisement is an intangible that is hard to separate from other advertisement for effectiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammergriffin View Post
What's an LCO site?

Lawn Care Operator Website

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Wow
I knowfirst hand the price sucks down there A couple moved up here from there gave them a price for there lawn here They said I was high for a month fee I told them thats per time not a month price they was shock and pass on my bid Then week later called me back said I was the cheapest in my area After talking to them about FL I couldnt see anybody making a living down there in mowing
I am from your area originally and I will say this.
They most likely fail to understand how large their property is now vs what they had before. They also most likely fail to understand that they do not have irrigation and that although you gave them a price per cut...the number of cuts is going to be determined by several factors such as the heat, the rain etc.....this will be a new concept to them as they are used to having their turf cut every week most of the year and eow the other part.

They fail to understand that you cool season turf guys are like squirrels as I once told a failed cool season lawn turd. You must gather and hoard your nuts as fast as you can all growing season (however long that may be) because you do not know when winter is going to come where as we enjoy re-occuring monthly payments all year long for our services.

Although things can be tough down here....I am glad I am no longer a squirrel working my little tail off to gather as many nuts as I can and hoping I have stashed enough for the long winter ahead.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Florid Rico nailed it on the head that was kinda funny in way also.
But lets face it I would have to venture to say that 85% of all Florida lawn turds are the dumbest on the planet.
Last summer I asked 23 seperate lawn guys what they are doing about gas price and massive obummer inflation. Lets face it for a gallon of water and a bag of ice before obummer in 2007 and part of 2008 it was $3.00.
Now its $5.25. That is not inflation of 4% which we have had for like ever.
Back to the 23 question I asked only 1 did you get that? only 1 said he raised prices and he guess what? Him and I only lost how many customers? Wait foooorrrr it.....0.
I now do all my invoicing on a sliding scale. I did indeed in my letter to our customers blame Obummer. I told them i have every documentation of costs pertaining to my business for the last 21 years and never have seen any kind of inlfation as to this these last three years.

The other thing Im really concerned about is everyone on here telling everyone to diversify their business. Well if everyone is lowballing the lawn business wont they do the same with everything else? ahahha yes it already starting. Lost 3 landscape jobs to some lawn guy that has no clue as to put what and where.
One of the three called me and said they should have used us. I pointed out everthing that is wrong and that is why its turning brown.
I charged them for my consultation and left.

So please do diversify because I already have the advertising ready to go to make money from all the lawnturds that dont know where to put and build things.
Already doing it with pavers saw that coming 10 years ago with the big push of pavers and all the yahoos that thought they could do pavers. The jobs I saw what a joke.
I charged for consultation and fuel. I have been charging for fuel even when it was $1.30 a gallon.
To most of you....YOu have to be a business person before being lawn jocky.

Last edited by yamadooski; 03-20-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

First, are you saying as in pavers you are the only one capable of diversifying and everyone else is dumb and can't pull it off. Second no real "business man" would trash the president in a mailer to their customers. I am as conservative as they come and certainly no obama fan, but my business sense would tell me not to risk alienating or irritating a customer who may not share my political views. I don't roll the dice when it comes to business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
Florid Rico nailed it on the head that was kinda funny in way also.
But lets face it I would have to venture to say that 85% of all Florida lawn turds are the dumbest on the planet.
Last summer I asked 23 seperate lawn guys what they are doing about gas price and massive obummer inflation. Lets face it for a gallon of water and a bag of ice before obummer in 2007 and part of 2008 it was $3.00.
Now its $5.25. That is not inflation of 4% which we have had for like ever.
Back to the 23 question I asked only 1 did you get that? only 1 said he raised prices and he guess what? Him and I only lost how many customers? Wait foooorrrr it.....0.
I now do all my invoicing on a sliding scale. I did indeed in my letter to our customers blame Obummer. I told them i have every documentation of costs pertaining to my business for the last 21 years and never have seen any kind of inlfation as to this these last three years.

The other thing Im really concerned about is everyone on here telling everyone to diversify their business. Well if everyone is lowballing the lawn business wont they do the same with everything else? ahahha yes it already starting. Lost 3 landscape jobs to some lawn guy that has no clue as to put what and where.
One of the three called me and said they should have used us. I pointed out everthing that is wrong and that is why its turning brown.
I charged them for my consultation and left.

So please do diversify because I already have the advertising ready to go to make money from all the lawnturds that dont know where to put and build things.
Already doing it with pavers saw that coming 10 years ago with the big push of pavers and all the yahoos that thought they could do pavers. The jobs I saw what a joke.
I charged for consultation and fuel. I have been charging for fuel even when it was $1.30 a gallon.
To most of you....YOu have to be a business person before being lawn jocky.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First Rule of Business is DON"T TALK RELIGION OR POLITICS with Customers or any one you associate with on a business basics.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

First Rule of Business is DON"T TALK RELIGION OR POLITICS with Customers or any one you associate with on a business basics.

No doubt, talk about a quick way to piss off a customer.... there have been many politicians elected that I couldn't stand but you will never hear me voice that to a customer who may think that they are the best thing going.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaViper View Post
Type in "Florida suncoast lawn care" in Google you will see. I'm in adwords on the right also. But still no calls. It's amazing. Glad I bought a 2010 Bad boy zero turn for $2k instead of $6k and such. And my enclosed trailer for $600.
I did that and sure enough your add came up but, I also did search's for mowing Harbour Heights and Charlotte Florida and you were nowhere to be seen. Basically, your site/add isnt working in search.

Try it, sign out of any google apps like gmail you may be on (it effects your search) and search mowing in your local suburbs and see how your site is working. from a potential customers stand point.

Your site has no info ie What, why, how and when (keywords), on it, no pics(keywords) etc etc. Its not going to work for you.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Great advice!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I did that and sure enough your add came up but, I also did search's for mowing Harbour Heights and Charlotte Florida and you were nowhere to be seen. Basically, your site/add isnt working in search.

Try it, sign out of any google apps like gmail you may be on (it effects your search) and search mowing in your local suburbs and see how your site is working. from a potential customers stand point.

Your site has no info ie What, why, how and when (keywords), on it, no pics(keywords) etc etc. Its not going to work for you.
Mickhippy

In My case Pest Control in Florida is very Competitive marketing. The Big Boys can afford to spend Millions. I have gotten to the first page google but can't stay there without continued pumping Google. Then I will bounce between first and forth page. First page does make a big difference in the number of Tire Kickers that call.

Tags
florida , getting by , income , opportunity in florida