Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bidding Season is crazy

Dang things are crazy
Win some loose some I cant gain more I'm same number of account was last year money wise I gain more

Funnest one happen today Lady called me today said someone gave them a cheaper bid They did one across the street said ok hung up and phone was ringing again It was the lady across the street ask me If my bid I gave her last summer was still good I said yes She said ok she like how I mowed and that I edge the neighbors all the time
I told her that her neighbor drop me and went with Company she had All she did was laugh about it She told me She would go over talk to her about it I told her not let her find out the hard way but she said tell what she getting herself into Maybe I'll get that one back in few days

Anybody else going crazy during Bidding season
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this year I have pickup 10 new ones along with my current customers. I finally did convince one lady to end her current lawn guy(im the plow Guy) as i was getting tired of them blaming weeds in her yard from the winter plowing. A free spring cleanup and a free mow on her business and house won her over.

Im in the same boat as you by give free weekly edging. People appreciate that and it looks more apleasing to new customers/neighbors.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlturfcare View Post
this year I have pickup 10 new ones along with my current customers. I finally did convince one lady to end her current lawn guy(im the plow Guy) as i was getting tired of them blaming weeds in her yard from the winter plowing. A free spring cleanup and a free mow on her business and house won her over.

Im in the same boat as you by give free weekly edging. People appreciate that and it looks more apleasing to new customers/neighbors.
I give free weed/feed to new customers on Residential bids I gained today phone riinging off the wall this morning so far gained 7 lost one so far keeps going like this I'll hit 100 this year I did 200 bids some was renewals and 125 was new jobs
Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you guys use for advertising to gain so many customers, if you don't mind me asking?
Ferris DD 61"
Ferris DD 48"
Honda HRR216
Snapper 21" Hi Vac
Stihl, Husqvarna, Kawasaki and Echo Handhelds
Solo Back Pack Sprayer
6.5x 16 Tandem Trailer
7x18 Dovetail Equipment Trailer
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife has a crew that cuts lawns in bathing suits and cut-offs.
I don't think the guys on her crew are helping by wearing the halter tops though.

Just Kidding. I'm still stuck in the recession in the most expensive city in North America

Two wet springs in a row and tight wallets make things slow so far.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Slow here....
Greensboro NC
Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure your bookkeeper is aware of all the expenses you incurred pertaining to the bid process.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been pretty busy, maybe not quite as busy as you have been though. Things are starting to pick up pretty good though...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Put out fliers/brochures about 1000 so far door to door and got about 15 calls. Got 1 fert/squirt, 2 full service accounts, 1 mowing account, 1 clean-up and 2 will let me know. Last year was easier to "close" the deal at the time of the estimate. Seems that there are alot of tire kickers. We are getting alot more calls earlier due to the warm weather. I just hope that they continue to call into april, we need to make up for a few that sold and moved. It seems that we start every season with many new accounts but we always lose some during the season for reasons out of our control, such as moving, deaths, lost job...
Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhead19 View Post
What do you guys use for advertising to gain so many customers, if you don't mind me asking?
I have the phone book and that's it
been in business since 1981 in my town word of mouth gets me jobs and how I do the jobs gets me jobs
During the summer time I keep notes on jobs I think I can bid on and win
For signing with me I give things away could be free Weed/Feed,or a tree of choice or a free Aerating for full service contact means everything they hire out to have done on there lawn and there landscape area
Lot time people call for a bid and I go give them price and If I visit with them for more then 15 mins 80% of the time I'll walk away with new customer
I know no stranger I like visiting with ppl I have good sale skills
My kids say I talk to much

Today gained another mowing job and one aerating job and thatching job
The thatching job I went gave them a price they said was going get 2 more bids I said ok

I visited with about weather and then talk about hunting for morels mushrooms then subject moved to arrowhead hunting said I had go look at another job as I was leaving they told me I had the job Then they ask if I can mow there lawn and they wanted my 6 step lawn treatment program