Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Changes to Windows Live website?

Microsoft has allowed owners of their Office Product line to have a free user controlled website for several years now. But they just sent out an email that you must sign up for Office365 (cloud version) which has a cost attached now. Has anyone with a Windows Live website made this switch yet? It seems laborious since they claim it's a 2-6 hour process. Indeed, I was online with their help desk for about an hour without a lot of progress. Would it be better to just try to start a new site with a new provider and transfer the domain name? Suggestions?

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
ExMark Phazer mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also am considering just switching from Office Live to another web hosting site. I do not need all the features they are including in the new 365 version.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

We also had the free office live version for a couple of years. A couple of weeks ago we decided to switch to a godaddy website tonight,because like Armidillo we didn't need all of the bells and whistles that Office 365 offered. You can't just take the same files from office live and put them on the other(atleast I couldn't figure it out) so I had to start from scratch. Not too much of a problem except now our website doesn't come up anywhere close to top of search results on google like it use to, hopefully it will take just a little more time for google to index it correctly. With godaddys website tonight templates you are limited to 10 pages for your site. I chose godaddy because that is who we had for our domain registar.

RSRS
http://www.rsrservices.com
Old 03-21-2012, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your replies. I'm still working on a solution. Taking a serious look at Hostgator which shows in the top 5 for hosting and websites. But doing your own Wordpress site is interesting too. Just not sure I'm capable of creating from scratch or keeping my same email through that site. (or if I have the time when the season is just starting) It's not the best time of year for Microsoft to spring this on lawncare companies.

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
ExMark Phazer mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 03-21-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrs View Post
Not too much of a problem except now our website doesn't come up anywhere close to top of search results on google like it use to, hopefully it will take just a little more time for google to index it correctly.
Sorry to threadjack this, but thought I'd weigh in on RSR's problems after moving from Office Live...

Your meta description is about 80 characters too long and you have almost no H1-H6 tags. None on the home page, 1 on the Services page. The H tag issue will help you out in the search rank department.

Visually, for the good of your visitors, you really should rework the text formatting throughout your pages.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if this will help, but this a nice program for grabbing a capture of a website onto you own drive, and I have recommended to people to use it to back up their sites when they only have a web based login to their site on a service, and do not have access to actual source files/database to backup.

http://www.httrack.com/

-Greg

Tags
website , websites