Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Need to fix a hill what tiller should I buy? 45 degree hill approx 12'x60'

I am looking for advice on a rototiller for a newbie that has a hill.

I replanted my entire lawn last year and the results were great! I did not use a tiller but rather a metal rake.. about 4 of them cause they kept breaking but through blisters sweat and tears we got the job done. At the time I did not know that there were these fancy machines available to me that could have made the process much much easier. We will get back to that in a moment.

One day I see a bunch of weeds on my front hill... In error I used a liberal amount of liquid weed killer on a 12'x60' section of hill I have and killed most of the grass and weeds. So I left it that way and resigned to fix it in the spring.

This past week it has been in the 70-80s in New England so I bought a Sun Joe Tiller Joe 14 in. 6.5 Amp Electric Tiller/Cultivator" for 125 bones shipped. After 10 minutes of use the damn thing broke.. no rocks nothing just the plastic housing were the shaft and the tines are connected simply cracked. I spent more time putting the thing together than using it.. I would go as far to say that I am sure that this company is shipping out "refurbished" models under the guise that they are new. I mean the box appeared to be retaped.. the handles looked like they had wear on them even the metal bars looked slightly used. At least they are not trying to hide it lol.

So now I am looking for a roto tiller that could be used on a 12x60 hill that wont break so easily. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go rent a commercial model.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Are they good for steep hills? There is a Taylor Rental near me and I could do that but I don't want to hit a rock, twist and fall, and lose a valuable appendage in the tines of some large machine which I have no business using on a steep hill.

Do you know of a make and model that is good for hills?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get a stihl or mantis then, just no mail order stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

4600 ford with a 6' rear tine tiller works on any hill
In long run be cheaper hire someone do it so you dont hurt your self
Old 03-24-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point. My uncle caught his tiller on a piece of concrete. It twisted around and he fell into it. Tines cut a huge gash in his leg. Drove himself to the emergency hospital with a huge pool of blood on car seat. Be careful.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

lol some folks might consider a 4600 Ford overkill for my modest 1/2 acre lot. It might however be worth it to see the look on my neighbors faces if I fired one of those up in the morning.

I am a big fan of doing things myself. Doing the safe and sensible thing such as paying a professional is completely out of the question! DIY till I die... unless of course it involves extreme heights cause I had a bad experience with gravity once.

Wow your uncle could have easily bled to death. That is exactly what I don't want to happen. Im glad he made it to the hospital ok.

The 9" Mantis looks interesting. Have any of you good folks heard of anyone using the 2 or 4 stroke Mantis on a steep hill? I guess I want to hear first hand experience from someone who has

used a tiller on a hill and
this particular tiller was something available to the novice backyard enthusiast and
the make and model of the tiller they used on the steep hill

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by scrapdogg; 03-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go find or buy a 2 cycle Mantis with their aerator (straight) tines on it. Those tines used as intended (to aerate) are a joke but.....put them on and drag the Mantis backwards and you'll have four 1/4" - 1/2" slits in the ground that make a perfect bed to lay seed in. The Mantis is light weight and has more torque than you'll ever need. A 10x60 area can be done in no time. I bought the aerator tines for just for that purpose and they work great.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go to Taylor and rent a rear tine tiller. My local price is 45 bucks for 4 hours. Safe and easy to use. A Mantis is too small and really meant for gardens. Front tine might be a little cheaper but they beat the crap out of you.

Tags
grass , hill , tiller