Register free!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone see the article in IGIN about the new CEO at Nightscaping?

Ran across this profile article in last months issue when I was clearing my desk.

http://www.igin.com/article-2657-rick_henninger.html

Seems like he may be the right guy for the job.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He might know a thing or two about getting a company back in the black..... But at the ripe age of 63 I'm not sure if I would of went that route. Nightscaping is stuck in the dark ages, and the head guy being 63 might not help. They need new and young blood. Someone that knows lighting and can see the future...... They can't manage to update their Facebook more then once a month. I would be more interested in using their product but I feel I'm not informed about it. Look at cast I might not use a lot of their product but Steve does a great job keeping the hype up.

Hey maybe I wasn't born in Bills hayday so that's why nightscaping doesn't mean much to me. I mean no disrespect to the new president or the late Bill, but untill Nightscaping gets with the 2012 program I will be keeping my orders with other manus
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
He might know a thing or two about getting a company back in the black..... But at the ripe age of 63 I'm not sure if I would of went that route. Nightscaping is stuck in the dark ages, and the head guy being 63 might not help. They need new and young blood. Someone that knows lighting and can see the future...... They can't manage to update their Facebook more then once a month. I would be more interested in using their product but I feel I'm not informed about it. Look at cast I might not use a lot of their product but Steve does a great job keeping the hype up.

Hey maybe I wasn't born in Bills hayday so that's why nightscaping doesn't mean much to me. I mean no disrespect to the new president or the late Bill, but untill Nightscaping gets with the 2012 program I will be keeping my orders with other manus
Posted via Mobile Device
Anyone ever accuse you of being an ageist? 63 is considered "ripe"? And here I thought 60 was the new 50.

Sounds like Rick has the kind of experience needed for the job.
I heard Mitt Romney wasn't available.

Steve is a dynamic marketing guy. So was Joey when he was with Unique.
Rick is busy with other things on his plate right now as far as I can tell.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

An ageist..... Funny. Other then that I do have some tiki-liters to put in next week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like that he is honest about burning and even scorching some bridges. he seems to be straight up about the current product he has in his line as well. but he does not fail to take a jab at the competition. If he is willing to get rid of or modernize the nightscaping product that does not have bulb shrouds, or silicone seals, or modern bulbs, ( gotta love those bayonnet bases) maybe that is an awesome start. since they have lost almost all of their distributors, maybe they should sell direct.

But what will get folks buying nightscaping fixtures again will be fairly easy. develop a simple solid, heavy brass uplight at a competitive cost. then do the same with pathlights. then wall washers, and so on. but looking at lots of fixtures, nightscaping always has seemed to be more about how the fixture looks then how it performs. and I hope that philosophy is gone.

My worry is the desire to make them in the US may trump the desire to sell fixtures. And nightscaping needs to sell fixtures to survive, and not just a few.

and yes, unfortunately, with experience comes age. I am far more likely to leave my customers in the lurch if I have a heart attack at 43 than I was when I was 23. but I am a much better lighting person than I was then. Although it may not happen, I plan to still be doing lighting at 63 as well. and I will be even more likely to die then as well.

but as long as folks are kicking and can do the job better than anyone else, let them.