Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for so many posts guys but I had to add something....the nursery i use is a landscaping and nursery business all in one with about 10 employees...they were unloading semis when i got there this morning at 8 o'clock opening time. it is very nice and unique they have a giant pond in the middle and alot of nice scenery...ducks,etc. but this place is really huge...but what i wanted to mention is they have a program call the silver star program...basically for every scoop of mulch purchased you get 5 dollars credit towards your next purchase and for every 50 spent on plant material you get 5 dollars credit on your next purchase...just a way to award repeats i suppose...but i got $15 credit in total today...so that is money in my pocket or a higher profit margin on future tree plantings...thanks guys
Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Snyders Lawn Inc.

The trees were around 4.5 to 5 feet tall...you should barely "hug" them or put your arms around them...and the base or trunk was about 2 inches in diameter or 5 inches in circumference...small trees really..thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Since you did the job already,sit down and re do the estimate at home but using the wholesale rate then figure out your retail price.I bet you will and another 50-60 bucks more into your pocket.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another 50 or 60? HA. Tree planting. I think dogwoods are selling wholesale nursery stock here for about 80 or so 2" caliper.

Each tree would have cost the man $125 or so.
Planting 40 to 50 each tree.
Mulch 40 bucks.
Gator bag 20 bucks each.

What are you going to do if one of the trees dies in 2 months? Is the replacement your responsibility? You better have a plan, IN WRITING, for something like that.

How long are you going to warranty the trees? I had a customer call me up 3 years after planting one and said it died and they wanted me to replace for free.

I offered a warranty at the time of install. Warranty costs more, because of the what if factor. 1 year max.

Buy the tree somewhere that offers a 1 year warranty (lowes does). You will pay more, but covers you if it dies.

Well, I kinda got off track here, but you get my point.
Greensboro NC
Old 03-23-2012, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

guys...

thanks for opening my eyes next time i'll have the bid up front...the nursery gave me a one year warranty on paper so im okay in that respect...i should have bid differently no doubt though...and yes...i must find a wholesale supplier...but that is easier to do for shrubs and seasonal flowers as opposed to young saplings...alot of nurseries and green houses in my area have very few trees, and poor quality at that...so the search must continue...lol
Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrassBoy View Post
No, the guy said he would not mind paying 80 for the trees, that it was fine because he wanted a high quality job. One tree was $75 the other was $85, so for the trees alone was $160. Then I factored in the maybe two hours locating trees last night in my free time. I did find a nice nursery, though it was retail the quality was undeniable. I also bought a tarp to cover them in my truck and protect them from foliage damage. So here are my expenses:

Total time invested: 3 hours, including locating trees, and the job itself.

Fuel: $20
Trees and tarp:$174
Three hours of time:$30...10 per hour not working...?
Total:$224
So 280-224 is $56 dollars for three hours work. Not too bad I don't think for a first job, but there is definitely room for improvement. I should have bid 300, but we learn as we go. But I couldn't argue with 18+ per hour for my first job.
Just hope i get continue business, and desperately need to land some mowing accounts. I did learn that landscaping is much more profitable than mowing, but harder to find jobs without an established company...tell me what you think..by the way the guy came outside half way through the job and payed me the 280 and went back to sleep lol, all in all i enjoyed the job this morning haha
Your numbers are all out of whack. How do you justify charging for your time riding around looking for a product when you're suppose to be the professional? You should already know where to go for the product. $18hr is lowballing prices.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Orange Wower

Yes I should not have charged for the time to locate plants, but as I said this was my first landscaping job...i kinda jumped in with not as much knowledge as I should as I said this job took about 1 1/2 hours, but I had one helper...by myself probably like an hour...What should I have made on this job? And what would you have charged and explain what you're charging for...thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrassBoy View Post
Okay. I have been putting up fliers for about a week now. Today I get a call about a landscaping job. The guy wants two dogwood trees, one pink and one white. During our first phone call he blatantly explains that he doesn't mind spending 80 for each tree, because he wants a high quality job. I first visited 2 wal-marts and a lowes, neither of the two carried white dogwoods. Finally I visited a nursery who had 2 very nice specimens of both the white and pink dogwood, for $85 each. The only thing I did wrong was purchase a $30 lower quality tree pink dogwood, before actually speaking with him. But I'm going to mark up each tree to $100 each, which is $200. Then $20 for my fuel which was really only about $12, and sixty for two hours of labor. Final bid is $280.00. I quoted him 275 on the phone but will negotiate the 5 bucks lol just to make it even. This is my first real job as of starting in this business this year. I am so excited, though I wish I had some mowing accounts by this point. But, It is still early in the year here in Kentucky, so I must be patient. I want you more experienced guys to tell me how I did wit negotiating my first landscaping job. Thanks and God Bless.
How long did it take you to sell the job, get the trees, plant the trees and meet with the customer to collect your money? If I understand your post correctly you made about $150 less overhead. Is that correct?

Overhead will eat you alive. My repair tech went out today and his first repair was for $830 with parts costing about $350. His next job he replaced a motor for $480 with parts costing $250. His next job was for $2400 with parts costing $1900 and he finished the day with a $650 job that had a parts cost of $350. How did I do today? OK but not as good as you think. Overhead eats you alive.

Last edited by wbw; 03-23-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Never break down your price. Only give a lump sum total. Nobaody wants to pay enough hourly.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Although your profit is a bit low- you made money on your first job! NICE!

If you are uncertain about the prices of stuff- dont be afraid to step down and tell the customer that you need to "shop around to see who has the best product and you will get back to them asap." This gives you time to call around and see what your place is selling them for- and a good time for you to sit down and think about what you can do the job for while remembering the fact that you will need to buy a new truck, dump truck, and mowers of your pleasing every ten years.

Ive learned to never shoot from the hip- much rather look like an idiot than make an informed decision rather than getting burned.

Personally I would have doubled the cost of the materials.