Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oviedo View Post
Anyone have any recommendations on a lawn sweeper? I still have some leaves on that ground which is not good for seeding. The reviews on these things are all over the place.
Lawn Sweepers per say are not something that most of us here on the Florida forum actively use. Not sure you will get anyone that has huge information on these from FL as it is not common to collect leaves down here.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Still not able to send you a private message to send my phone number yet.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I haven't purchased the seed yet they recommended a 100 lb. bag. While I have full irrigation with a well, I am not sure how perfect the coverage is. Might be ahead to get someone to check it out first.
you are over a acre correct? I would feel that you would want more seed myself. Maybe Fl-Lanscape can chime in as he does a lot of seeding but I would think you would want closer to 5lbs of seed per every one thousand square foot to give yourself the most likely chance of germinating a quality lawn if overseeding.

But as Ric has pointed out one of the most important factors is your PH and until you know you have it correct for the targeted turfgrass getting into seeding does not matter much.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Ric, I guess you don't like to read....
Pensacola is 5 times cheaper than Argentine. Pensacola is 10 times easier to grow, and will grow in just about any soil condition compared to Argentine. It's all in its name. Argentine is nice but it's just way to expensive. Also, the Pensacola will self seed itself over time faster than Argentine. If you actually look at the grass itself it is just about identical. I have never seen these "clumps" you speak of. Yes, you will have to mow it more often. May I add we are further north than ric we get less rain and I'm sure his yard has Oaks all over it.
Unknown

Cheap Crap is still Crap. Just the 12 inch seed heads 3 days after mowing should be a deal killer. Are we talking Lawns or Pastures?

Mikey

Roundup is my preferred SELECTIVE herbicide for controlling Sand Spurs in Bahia turf. One more Time, Roundup is my favorite SELECTIVE herbicide in Bahia Turf. But then I have forgotten more about Roundup than most people know. Yes Roundup is a SELECTIVE herbicide.

For the unwashed masses, SELECTIVE herbicide on Bahia means it doesn't kill the Bahia if applied correctly.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Still not able to send you a private message to send my phone number yet.
Still seem to be blocked.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Unknown

Cheap Crap is still Crap. Just the 12 inch seed heads 3 days after mowing should be a deal killer. Are we talking Lawns or Pastures?

Mikey

Roundup is my preferred SELECTIVE herbicide for controlling Sand Spurs in Bahia turf. One more Time, Roundup is my favorite SELECTIVE herbicide in Bahia Turf. But then I have forgotten more about Roundup than most people know. Yes Roundup is a SELECTIVE herbicide.

For the unwashed masses, SELECTIVE herbicide on Bahia means it doesn't kill the Bahia if applied correctly.

I gotta be honest I hate those damn sticks that rise up, so I am still considering Argentine. So you say for Sand Spurs round up can kill them without killing the grass? Are we talking commercial wal-mart/home depot round up?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Still seem to be blocked.

You Need 25 Posts before you can receive or send Private Messages.

Quote:
I gotta be honest I hate those damn sticks that rise up, so I am still considering Argentine. So you say for Sand Spurs round up can kill them without killing the grass? Are we talking commercial wal-mart/home depot round up?

1/2 oz of Glyphosate 41% in a gallon of water sprayed over One Thousand sq ft will not kill Bahia, But it will kill Sand Spurs. That same rate is used as a chemical mowing rate and slows Bahia Growth. It also acts as a Broad lief Herbicide. Agriculture has been doing this for Years along Fence Lines and between Trees in Citrus Groves. Progressive Road & Right Of Way contracts for both State and County are now Chemically mowing Bids. Etc Etc I cut my own Bremuda lawn last year 8 times and was never over 6 inches tall. There are drawl back like stripping if you don't pay close attention to details.

John Franz PhD worked in R&D for Monsanto and formulated Glyphosate as a Growth regular that later became the most Financial successful Pesticide ever. BTW It was discovered as a Non select by MISTAKE.

PS Remember Roundup will kill sand spurs but it will not remove them from your lawn. The Dead spurs can still stick you and reseed them self.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-29-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
1/2 oz of Glyphosate 41% in a gallon of water sprayed over One Thousand sq ft will not kill Bahia, But it will kill Sand Spurs. That same rate is used as a chemical mowing rate and slows Bahia Growth. It also acts as a Broad lief Herbicide. Agriculture has been doing this for Years along Fence Lines and between Trees in Citrus Groves. Progressive Road & Right Of Way contracts for both State and County are now Chemically mowing Bids. Etc Etc I cut my own Bremuda lawn last year 8 times and was never over 6 inches tall. There are drawl back like stripping if you don't pay close attention to details.

John Franz PhD worked in R&D for Monsanto and formulated Glyphosate as a Growth regular that later became the most Financial successful Pesticide ever. BTW It was discovered as a Non select by MISTAKE.

PS Remember Roundup will kill sand spurs but it will not remove them from your lawn. The Dead spurs can still stick you and reseed them self.

So you actually used the Glyphosate right on top of the grass a couple of times per year? This doesn't kill the bermuda or it won't the Bahai? Interesting.

Do you have to get the Bahai pretty well established first?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Lawn Sweepers per say are not something that most of us here on the Florida forum actively use. Not sure you will get anyone that has huge information on these from FL as it is not common to collect leaves down here.
I guess you all mulch them down then? My problem is I have tons of leaves, acorns and Pine Needles. With over an acre it just seems crazy to try and blow them around or mulch it all. Now I do have wooded areas that are just kind of nothing, but didn't realize I'd need a blackpack blower to move any of this stuff any significant distance.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So you actually used the Glyphosate right on top of the grass a couple of times per year? This doesn't kill the bermuda or it won't the Bahai? Interesting.

Do you have to get the Bahai pretty well established first?

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld07A016.pdf

Check Out Page 5 section 8.3 CHEMICAL MOWING. The rates there are for Cool Season turf which isn't a tolerant of Roundup as warm season turf is.

The Rate I gave of 1/2 oz per thousand is a tried and proven rate for Sand Spurs on both Bahia and Bermuda. However at that rate you might get some yellowing or stripping. In all cases you won't get a dark Green turf and Chemical mowing is not for fine lawns. Utility Turf can be managed very economical with Chemical mowing.