Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

magnum question

how many of you treat with the third hole all the way open, i've tried messing with closing it a little it just never seems right, i've never closed my lesco push spreader third hole while treating and never had a problem. Do you guys think the pattern is the same, to me it seems quite a bit different.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ours is always closed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remember the left hole controls the amount of granules thrown to the right.
To check the pattern, put out ten paper plates and drive across. Count the particles on each plate.
Normally, the left hole is closed to reduce the granules thrown to the right when using the edge guard. (To avoid excess).
Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Always open unless gaurd is down. Like riggle said. I did that on my magnum and my lesco push spreader.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

My worst fear is striping a bunch of lawns due to imbalanced thread, and i'm constantly pay attention to the third hole on my pgrn. Rcreeech posted a while back that he went to a bare dirt area, put it in N, ran up to full rpms and open the spreader for 15 seconds and then looked at the ground to see what the spread looked like. I did that with Mine and it had a couple inconsistencies in it but wasnt due to the third whole. I usually run with it closing about 1/4 of the hole and it seems to spread good. tried the pan test like riggle suggests but just didnt seem to work for me and always got inconsistent results... maybe wasnt doing it right. YOu could also throw across some black top and see what it looks like then. Honestly can't stand my pgrn and looking to a T3000 later this year or next.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And once you have done the edge, don't forget to raise the edge guard chute for the rest of the lawn. This mistake can cause some big-time green and yellow streaks.

Normally the main pattern adjustment is on the right side hole. It should be closed by about an eighth of an inch to get an even pattern--remember it controls the granules thrown to the left.

Earthway has a new spreader that has a on the fly pattern adjustment; you can adjust the holes as you are moving. Has anyone tried it? How did it work? i cannot find a picture of the new dash mounted system. Jeff are you listening?

Its called the Ev-N-Spred Pro Dual Port Adjustable Shut Off System.
http://www.earthway.com/products/mob...dcast-spreader
Old 03-30-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

?

i just do not understand why they do not make the magnum spread evenly from the get go isn't that the most important part of the machine especially for 7 to 8 thousand dollars for the machine.