Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks MOturkey, I think you're advice is the most applicable to my situation. I don't really know how I'll keep up with 54 lawns anyways, unless we have a terrible drought again this year...hope not.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As Yancey Tucker once said "If you can't keep all your eggs in one basket, you might as well not have any eggs at all."
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 04-01-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I'm a bit surprised by some of the responses to this post. I think all solo operators, if they are successful, eventually find themselves in a position where something has to give. Age, changing family structure, health, the economy, are all factors that can, over time, change not only your need for accounts, but also your ability to maintain quality service for all your customers. Logic dictates that the first accounts to go should be the least profitable, and/or, most physically demanding. That is pretty much a no-brainer.

Just be honest. Tell them your business has grown to the point where you can no longer service all your properties and maintain the level of excellence you demand of yourself, so you must reluctantly drop some accounts from your schedule. Thank them profusely for their business and support, and, if you can, refer them to someone else.
not really the way I see it or agree with it either. I just plain don't drop accounts unless your a non payer.

I keep what I have take on new when someone leaves and once full for the season I pull my advertising.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You said the reason why you wanted to dump them was because they weren't profitable, so send a letter raising the price to make them profitable. If they don't want to pay it, problem solved. If they do, time to hire some help. Just explain in the letter that it's not profitable for your company anymore and you need to raise rates. I'm not sure why that is so hard for people. Everyone in the world goes up in prices.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
not really the way I see it or agree with it either. I just plain don't drop accounts unless your a non payer.

I keep what I have take on new when someone leaves and once full for the season I pull my advertising.
Mo turkey wasn't agreeing with you, he was stating he was surprised why so many were giving the op flack for what he wants to do. I agree with mo turkey and op, cut out the fat...keep the most profitable accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should have dropped them before the first cut. IMHO that first cut was a verbal agreement. This is one reason people think lawn services are fly by night.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

I understand where you are coming from. Normally, most of us will continue to service any and all accounts that are even marginally profitable. I'm just pointing out that a SOLO operator will eventually find himself in a position where he may need to trim some accounts. Some of us simply have no desire to take on the headaches involved with hiring employees. I've been there and done that when I owned retail businesses, and don't want to deal with it at this stage of my life.

I took over a couple of mowing accounts this spring from a local guy I know. His wife used to help him full time, but has taken a job for the health insurance, plus, they now have 3 children, and he decided he wanted to have more family time than his schedule afforded him.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have the best reason in the world to raise prices without making it sound bad on you: gas prices! Just send them a letter stating that due to the increased cost of fuel and doing business in general, you are forced to raise their price to be able to continue to provide the great service that they have come to expect.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 04-01-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I understand where you are coming from. Normally, most of us will continue to service any and all accounts that are even marginally profitable. I'm just pointing out that a SOLO operator will eventually find himself in a position where he may need to trim some accounts. Some of us simply have no desire to take on the headaches involved with hiring employees. I've been there and done that when I owned retail businesses, and don't want to deal with it at this stage of my life.

I took over a couple of mowing accounts this spring from a local guy I know. His wife used to help him full time, but has taken a job for the health insurance, plus, they now have 3 children, and he decided he wanted to have more family time than his schedule afforded him.
only if you keep taking on more business when your already filled.

thats what I'm saying. once I'm full I'm full. I take on no more business than what I can comfortable handle in a standerd 5 day work week.

for me the option of either trimming some accounts or hiring help will never be. I stop accepting work before it gets to that point.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta agree with both Mike & Neil on this one. Definitely gotta trim the fat and raise prices in order to continue service due to inflation. Gas being #1 in think! I've already raised prices this year, and my customers are fine with it!