Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Mickhippy

In My case Pest Control in Florida is very Competitive marketing. The Big Boys can afford to spend Millions. I have gotten to the first page google but can't stay there without continued pumping Google. Then I will bounce between first and forth page. First page does make a big difference in the number of Tire Kickers that call.

Im no where near a SEO guru and I really dont know all the answers. If anyone wants to chime in on what Ive written below, please correct me if Im wrong. Im still learning too!

This may not all be relevant to you Ric but anyway..........

If you can get a Google Places in a centrally located area, that helps. Attach that to your website and do some Add Words. Dont need to spend heaps (more is better though), keep the keywords specific.

Do an adwords campaign (separately) for say pest control your suburb, gardening your suburb, landscaping your suburb, mowing a different suburb etc. Could do say Pest Control Your suburb, Pest Control suburb to the left, PC sub to right etc etc. Basically, when someone searchs a suburb anywhere near you, you should come up.
I believe these are done under the same campaign but separate adds if that makes sense. I was recently told this by a Google guy.
I think one payment covers all in the same campaign but would need to research it. Get as much relevant info into the add.
Im not a fan of adwords as I dont even see them on my PC, they're blocked! But Im hoping they help in the bigger picture of finding your/my site in search. I dont think Ive had a single call from an adwords add!

Look into google analytics etc. Google has a Keyword tool but again, dont go crazy with them. Dont stack or hide them (under a pic for example) on your site, keep them buried in the info and highlight a few like "mowing, gardening in your suburb"

Pics need to be named like, "mowing in your suburb" before uploading onto the site. This is something I still need to do in the photo gallery but the ones Ive uploaded into the blog have names like lawn mowing gilston. When someone searchs lawn mowing gilston a few pages in my photos come up. Do image search for lawn mowing gilston and a heap of photos come up.

The thing thats worked best for me is Blogging. Google loves new, relevant content. Doesnt need to be long stories but searchable headings and regular updates. Im still working on this myself, trying to figure out the best way to word and what content. Have a look at http://gclmow.com/lawn-care-tips As you can see Im not the best writer or anything, you may not agree with what Ive blogged but just having searchable stuff in there is helping. Most importantly, it doesn't cost anything but it works!

When I search my city ie lawn mowing Gold Coast, my old site is on page 2 while the new site is page 3. Im really trying to work on getting it up there more. All the free ad sites fill up the first page except for a few companies. Its hard but is why you need to be listed in those free sites.

I have been focusing on being found in the suburbs I want to work.
Try searching (cut n past these, might have to add Australia, sign out of gmail etc)...
lawn mowing currumbin valley
lawn mowing tallebudgera valley
lawn mowing tallai
lawn mowing bonogin
lawn mowing gilston

My old .com.au site comes up but its mainly the blog part of my new site that comes up. Sometimes several times on the first page.

Like I said, I AM NOT a guru at all this and still trying to figure it out. Tips are welcome!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Florida View Post
Tough as in difficult to make a living doing lawncare?

Is this accurate in your opinion when compared with northern states? I'm considering doing lawncare part time during college and maybe going full time after graduating. Would I be wasting my time? I doubt this can be entirely true. Some have got to be making it OK. I eventually want to start a family - can I support a small family in this field?
Unless your degree is in Horticulture or Arborculture, yes you would be wasting your time. I have spoke to thousands of individuals over the years at hundreds of trade shows across the USA. The biggest advantage of working in this industry is the fact that among other things you can make or break your own destiny. Otherwise if you decide to stick with it you will get to enjoy the following: Dealing with people that really do not have a firm grasp of reality.
2. Working many long hours that will turn into weeks and than months and of course years, only to find out well where did the time go?. 3. You will also find it very hard to ever find someone to cover for time away even when emergencies arise. If your planning on starting a family in this business your wife and kids better be all involved or else you will have additional problems to many to mention here. You may be able to make a living from this industry but not much more than that. I have been there and done that for 20 years of my professional life. My professional life ATM involves manufacturing and selling my Two products to the end users in both the Arb/Hort industries. Very happy to say the balance of my working life seems to suit me very well. Hope this information will be help full since it is from the heart and this type of work is far more than a job more like a way of life.
easy-lift guy
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Job

From Past experience of having both an educational website and a sales Website, Both sucked at getting customers. But if you are to a viable business you need one just like you need at least a 1 inch add in the Yellow pages. Don't forget DEX KNOWS Internet phone book either.

Bottom line is the more you tell the more you sell. Therefore websites and Phone Books etc are only there for back up to your word of mouth and other advertisement. If you ask a customer how they found you, they will say Phone book and not tell you they spend hours on your website before calling you.

All individual advertisement is an intangible that is hard to separate from other advertisement for effectiveness.

Lawn Care Operator Website

I know you are right Ric, I'm too lazy.

We are doing great just by word of mouth (picked up 6 more accounts on our last mailer).

Treating mature ficus and gumbo limbo has been a great door opener, not to mention profitable

We will sponsor a white fly seminar (fig and spiral) at a couple of HOA's next week, and the week after. At the same time my pesticide guy will come in and pitch as well as my pool guy, sprinkler guy, etc. Offer some refreshments kiss the usual a$$ and make the board look good.

I'm not as old as dirt yet, which makes me just a little younger than you I don't want to go insane until I groom my #4 son and #1 man to take over the sweating part of the business.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Recession, what recession?

Tons of work, but I would hate to be a new startup!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wish I could delete that last post of mine!
I asked a friend to do some google searching for me and it turns out my site is doing cr@p!
I did some "Private Browsing," my site barely rates a mention! Im on first or second page but know where near doing as well as I thought!

Anyway, jst thought I should correct the bad info I gave.

I did learn something though, google really mess's with search. What you/I search isnt necessarily what others will see. Not impressed with that!

If you really want to see how your site performs do some Private Browsing!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I wish I could delete that last post of mine!
I asked a friend to do some google searching for me and it turns out my site is doing cr@p!
I did some "Private Browsing," my site barely rates a mention! Im on first or second page but know where near doing as well as I thought!

Anyway, jst thought I should correct the bad info I gave.

I did learn something though, google really mess's with search. What you/I search isnt necessarily what others will see. Not impressed with that!

If you really want to see how your site performs do some Private Browsing!
Mickhippy

one thing that will get you closer to the top is the NUMBER OF HITS. If you get a lot of hits you move up. Linking to other like sites helps to increase hits. If you post your website here on LS and people clink on it, your hit count goes way up.

BTW once you post your website you give up some privacy.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Google is also constantly tweaking their magic formula to try and bring actual relevant searches, not just sites that have been clearly SEO'd if I can use that as a verb.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleylawncare View Post
Google is also constantly tweaking their magic formula to try and bring actual relevant searches, not just sites that have been clearly SEO'd if I can use that as a verb.
ONE OF THE BIGGEST INTERNET SCAMS is paying to increase your google placement. I must get 3 spam phone calls a week trying to sell me first page Google placement. Of course the fine print promises nothing. There area few honest out fits but most are just scamming.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Tags
florida , getting by , income , opportunity in florida