Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

My first Craigslist post

Yesterday about 1pm. pretty cool I think. So about 4pm I get my first response. I thought YEAH BABY!!! IT WORKS!!!

The guy has 2 accounts in Winter Haven, I am in Lakeland. Ok, not too bad, 3 accounts within 5 min of eachother and the possibility to gain more in the neighborhoods. So I got the addresses from him and in the same email, he said he is used to paying the lawn guy $20 per... ... per MONTH! I said to myself, maybe they are just weeding type jobs or town home or something, trying to give it a reason why $20 per month.

So I googled the addresses and these are 2 Single Family homes and 1 Duplex.

I responded to the guy, I would charge between 30-45 per trip once I get there as a general number and that he is extremely luck for the $20 per month. If he feels like calling me back, great, if not, thank you for the opportunity.

He responded, "yeah, thats why I kept him" and that he would let me know if he couldnt find someone else.
Thought to myself what an A Hole to even approach someone with this number. Oh and he wanted 2-3 times per month depending on rain amount we got.

Whatever...

So this morning I got my 2nd respond from the Ad and it is right next to 4 of 5 accounts I have so I will be driving by tomorrow once complete and bid the job. Hope to get it but point is, I have had my business for about a month now and just finally posted my ad with my biz card picture and seems to be working out. Never thought people looked on craigslist so much for service. I thought it was mostly people selling things.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha5150 View Post
Yesterday about 1pm. pretty cool I think. So about 4pm I get my first response. I thought YEAH BABY!!! IT WORKS!!!

The guy has 2 accounts in Winter Haven, I am in Lakeland. Ok, not too bad, 3 accounts within 5 min of eachother and the possibility to gain more in the neighborhoods. So I got the addresses from him and in the same email, he said he is used to paying the lawn guy $20 per... ... per MONTH! I said to myself, maybe they are just weeding type jobs or town home or something, trying to give it a reason why $20 per month.

So I googled the addresses and these are 2 Single Family homes and 1 Duplex.

I responded to the guy, I would charge between 30-45 per trip once I get there as a general number and that he is extremely luck for the $20 per month. If he feels like calling me back, great, if not, thank you for the opportunity.

He responded, "yeah, thats why I kept him" and that he would let me know if he couldnt find someone else.
Thought to myself what an A Hole to even approach someone with this number. Oh and he wanted 2-3 times per month depending on rain amount we got.

Whatever...

So this morning I got my 2nd respond from the Ad and it is right next to 4 of 5 accounts I have so I will be driving by tomorrow once complete and bid the job. Hope to get it but point is, I have had my business for about a month now and just finally posted my ad with my biz card picture and seems to be working out. Never thought people looked on craigslist so much for service. I thought it was mostly people selling things.
They do look but it attracts only scum customers 99% of the time. I finally deleted all my ads as it was costing me way to much in fuel and time to even consider these clients. I don't have time for a once in a blue moon cut when its 1 foot tall for 20-25 bucks. I rather spend the money on google and get normal customers and not craigslist lookers.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Most customers you get from craigslist will usually have a tight budget. They will get your bid down to the lowest price possible until you are making nearly nothing. I only promote specific services on craigslist. Only promoting mulch installation, sod installation, irrigation installation, tree and bush trimming and removal, and that's it. THis is because most people know that these services are expensive and I am almost always able to get a good customer for this. But for yearly service agreements they dont work for me.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please keep posting on Craigs List. Someone has to do all those lowball homes.
Craigs list is a joke for all advertising. The scum of the earth loom in there.
I gave a guy a quote for landscaping he said he will get back with me never heard from him.
A while later I do a job next door and my job is top knotch. I mean you can tell joe blow lawn terd from my designs. Both I and my customer were out pointing and laughing at his job. My customer told me somone from craigs list put in these most hidious looking palm.
I put in the exact same palms and size and the cheap guy asked where I get my palms from?
I said its obvious not the same place where the el cheapo craigs list guy goes.
Some people just need to stay out of some others professional business and stick with lawn care. And even there some need to just go away.
This business really does have an 85% dumbness rate.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

2nd response from Craigslist just got me a year round account. Property is no more than 7k and im charging 30 per trip on a weekly agreement. also some other work on the side. pretty happy and hoping his neighbors will call.