Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
I am so speechless right now. I don't know what to do. Yesterday some guy was walking down the street going door to door looking for the 'landscaper', that's how hard it was for him to find me. It was the Manager of Planning and Zoning.

Finally, after he found me, he told me its illegal to run a business like yours from your residence. I do live in the city, but the lots are about 3/4 of an acre in my area. I moved into this home 3+ years ago and have been operating off this property ever since.

Everything having to do with my business is not located anywhere near the street, and everything other then 2 trucks and 2 trailers is inside my 1,500 sq. ft. garage. I don't have any material piles, or any other equipment outside. Its VERY neat and clean.

There are countless of other guys within the city that literally have mowers lined up and topsoil and mulch piles on there front.. yes front.. yards.

Today I got a letter in the mail that says, "You are in violation of city zoning ordinances and you have until APRIL 6th to CEASE OPERATIONS OF THIS ILLEGAL BUSINESS LOCATED AT 16** N. 7TH STREET.

If the business remains operating after April 6th citations may be issued and this matter may be forwarded to the City Attorney for further action.

The guy said he got some kind of complaint, but I have a very good relationship with ALL my immediate neighbors and know it was not them. They all think this is ridiculous.

What can I do!!??

Do they really expect me to close my business within the next 10 days?!?

I only have one employee but I do hundreds of thousands in sales each year and I have hundreds of customers.

Why does this have to happen at the busiest time of the year!!!
Well there goes your over head You need a place in the right zone to run your business
I Think its funny sorry
Around here someone pops up running a business from there house and having there mowers and other stuff at there home
I turn them in
I had to be in the right Zone with my business I think everybody should be
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Question to the OP:

What happened during the permitting process when you constructed your $80K storage building? To get a building permit, you needed to provide drawings, plot plan, and a statement of intended use. Also, for a building this size, an inspector would have made at least one visit to the property.

Why wasn't this issue caught at the time of getting your building permit? Why didn't the permitting agency in the municipality flag this as a violation at that time? Putting up an $80K building on a lot that small (from your pics) would have been unique. This isn't your typical garden shed to put a lawn tractor and some hand tools away. It should have been obvious to those responsible for issuing the permit, and doing the inspection, that the building had intentions other than a typical homeowner.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What permit? Around here you need to be at least 5 ft of the property line for a structure.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cadzilla,It is debatable about running it out of your home. Mostly it is based on town code. But there has been IRS cases against doctors who try and use home office deductions and are not allowed because they say they don't work at home but in a hospital , so you could use that argument that your don't work at home but somewhere else.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can not do what I saw in the picture in most cities. I have one truck in my drive way. Nothing has been said but I know some HOA's will not allow PU trucks of any type to be parked anywhere but inside the garage.

Get a shop.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
You can argue all you want about government interference but in cases like this, most people want government interference.

I live in a residential subdivision. Its quiet. Its zoned residential. There is hardly any traffic on my street. I like it. Its why I moved here.

If my neighbor started a business at his house and now employees are showing up. Trucks and trailers are coming and going. And the property now looks like a truck yard, you bet I would complain.

Most guys get away with it. Small, owner operated, one truck operations. Most neighbors dont have a problem with.

Across the street the guy works for a towing company. He brings a tow truck home at night and parks in his driveway. Nobody complains. My neighbor has a lettered electricians van that he parks next to his house.

Down the street is a landscaper with a truck and trailer. He has a driveway with trees on both sides. He parks there and you drive by and dont notice it. Nobody complains.

I know the guy behind me is doing car repairs out of his house. He has a big garage with a lift. But you cant tell. He brings one car at a time. Works in the garage, door closed. No signs, no parking, it just looks like a house. Most of the neighbors have him work on their cars. The city knows about him. But again. Nobody complains.

I have 5 sealcoat trucks and trailers and a dozen employees that come to work everyday. If I had all that at my house, and all my employee cars coming and going, wouldnt my neighbors who bought a house in a quiet residential neighborhood have a right to complain?

Why cant Brickman buy a house in a residential neighborhood and use it as a terminal?

When you grow a business you have to be prepared for the additional overhead you are going to incur. Real businesses have to have a place to store their equipment. If you want to play in that arena you have to do the same.

I dont like paying rent for a shop. But its part of doing business.
Bingo. None of my trucks are lettered and I get long well with my neighbors (probably because I kiss their butts to avoid this) and fortunately I don't have any trailers. My kid comes to visit I make him park around the corner so it isn't so cluttered around my house. Any day now the home owners association is going to run me off and I am not looking forward to it. but when it happens, it happens. I know it is coming and while I won't like it, it is my own fault.

I am just happy to have the problem of where do I put all my stuff instead of the problem of no work.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawyer up... money well spent for this situation, you could be halted until you find new land. That can't happen.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
If I have to rent something then half of my property is useless to me. My business pays me rent to use that space. I would lose out on that rent, and I would have to pay for some other place. It would be devastating to me and my business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Since I don't know the city you live, I can't check the code of ordinance. Many places have no restrictions against parking lettered/business vehicles unless they are a certain length. Allowing me to park a personal vehicle but stopping you from parking a similar business vehicle is unequal treatment under the law. Nevertheless, if you're violating zoning laws by operating your business there and your F'd.
What really surprises me however is that you have a business licenses, apparently at your address, with no certificate of occupancy that confirms the zoning for business property. It appears a worse case is that you will have to rent space that is properly zoned. You know your explaining accounting for rent as basically taking money out of one pocket and putting in the other. You are not both losing rental revenue and having to pay rent.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvstringpicker View Post
Since I don't know the city you live, I can't check the code of ordinance. Many places have no restrictions against parking lettered/business vehicles unless they are a certain length. Allowing me to park a personal vehicle but stopping you from parking a similar business vehicle is unequal treatment under the law. Nevertheless, if you're violating zoning laws by operating your business there and your F'd.
What really surprises me however is that you have a business licenses, apparently at your address, with no certificate of occupancy that confirms the zoning for business property. It appears a worse case is that you will have to rent space that is properly zoned. You know your explaining accounting for rent as basically taking money out of one pocket and putting in the other. You are not both losing rental revenue and having to pay rent.
I think what he is saying is that his business is paying him personally rent to occupy the building. If he has to move, then his business pays someone else rent and he loses out on that income.
Greensboro NC
Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

lawnlandscape, ... still waiting for an answer to the building permit question. This should be a very simple answer.