Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
Not yet. Purchased left over XR7's. I have been very Happy with them. Heard many good things about the new decks but, not happy about the new vacs.
What's up with the new vacs?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.T. View Post
Its really good that you can clearly define which area's of your business created the debt, the problems and the hassle. And that you were able to root them out and focus on what makes you money and hopefully what you liked the most.

Was landscaping and maintenance what you enjoyed doing, or were the power equipment, nursery and the floristry?
Years back, we were only Landscape Maintenance and Construction. We did make money but, started the nursery to get my dad out of the way. He was a Portuguese "LEGAL" immigrant with a great work ethic but, small ideas. We soon after, started growing the business quickly, maybe too quickly.

So, I personally did not care for the nursery or the flower shop. I was always a landscaper. I have to admit though, I did like the Power equipment side. Went to conventions, met with manufacturers and inventors of much of the equipment out there. It was great, until my PE manager stole about $100,000 from us.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
What's up with the new vacs?
I haven't tried the new vac yet but, the former vacs were great. I really think that they could not make them any better. They had the best vac in the industry and now they change it dramatically. If you notice closely at the pics, I have a Hustler vac with a Protero container. An incredible, but expensive, combination. I have tried the Protero vac with no good results. The new Hustler vac looks alot like the Proteros. They went from a horizontal impeller to a vertical. I'm not happy.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I haven't tried the new vac yet but, the former vacs were great. I really think that they could not make them any better. They had the best vac in the industry and now they change it dramatically. If you notice closely at the pics, I have a Hustler vac with a Protero container. An incredible, but expensive, combination. I have tried the Protero vac with no good results. The new Hustler vac looks alot like the Proteros. They went from a horizontal impeller to a vertical. I'm not happy.
Impressive. But when all these guys strive to be in your place I don't think they understand the pressure, headaches etc.. They should shadow you for a week to really see what it's like. I was at my biggest much smaller than you are now and it nearly killed me. Sometimes smaller is better and surprisingly more profitable
Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
Impressive. But when all these guys strive to be in your place I don't think they understand the pressure, headaches etc.. They should shadow you for a week to really see what it's like. I was at my biggest much smaller than you are now and it nearly killed me. Sometimes smaller is better and surprisingly more profitable
You're right. It is very stressful but not as stressful as back then. Me being on my own now now, is much less stressful. The best advice I can give many of you just starting out is "Don't go into a partnership". The auguments and the finger pointing and who is is doing what, was too much. Now the buck stops here and their are more bucks to count.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ive had bad experiences with vertical blower units also. Which has me looking at Grasshoppers and Toro/Exmarks since I haven't found a nice used Huster with the older deck and blower yet.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
Ive had bad experiences with vertical blower units also. Which has me looking at Grasshoppers and Toro/Exmarks since I haven't found a nice used Huster with the older deck and blower yet.
I don't know about the Grasshopper. The Toro vac works well but, dos'nt last as long as the Hustler. The Hustler vac is built to last.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I don't know about the Grasshopper. The Toro vac works well but, dos'nt last as long as the Hustler. The Hustler vac is built to last.
It should. I don't know if there is a more expensive vac out there at $3100.00! I'm running one on a 66" XR7 and so far it's doing well except my SZ is underpowered with the 28 EFI Kohler.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How often are you replacing wheel motors or pumps on the SZs and at what hrs?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
How often are you replacing wheel motors or pumps on the SZs and at what hrs?
So far I only rebuilt a pump on 1 SZ. It had close to 2500 hrs.