Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been going back and forth between CNG and Propane. I'm being told the pressure on the CNG tanks is a lot higher, and that the propane is lower pressure. I am going to run to the local propane guy and see if they have an "in" to any conversion kits. I really want to stabilize my fuel pricing and think this is a good start.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by designman View Post
anyone know of a site that discusses the conversion process for a dodge hemi?
http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....emi-MDS-Engine
This is what I found, not sure if it helps any.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscill View Post
http://cngchat.com/forum/showthread....emi-MDS-Engine
This is what I found, not sure if it helps any.
I have used that site as well. All the research I did, I was not able to find any really good sites specifically for CNG conversions forums. It would be nice to find one site specific to CNG that had seperate forums. Most of the forums I found are simular to this one on LS, where it is a site that is based on something related and has a single forum for CNG conversions. I would look at dodge forums. I found a lot of information when I was going through the process on different ford and GM specific forums
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't support hydro fracking. It's worse than oil. And it destroys your land. Let the middle east keep the destruction.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4611 View Post
Cons: $3500 to convert my V-8, and about $800 for a 27hp Kawasaki. There are only three gas stations in the Indy area that I could fill up. There is also an inevitable learning curve by switching and some unknown problems that might arise.
Who makes kits to convert small engines to CNG?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
Don't support hydro fracking. It's worse than oil. And it destroys your land. Let the middle east keep the destruction.
Strong statement. Then please educate us and provide referral web sites to get further information.

Natural gas export infrastructure likely won't be developed till about 2015 but it will come.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olde_blue View Post
Who makes kits to convert small engines to CNG?
What he said...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

From some preliminary research, I think that you can tune a propane carb to run on low pressure natural gas (many people make tri-fuel propane/gasoline/natural gas kits for generators). The conversion will run alot more than $800, however. The propane carb is over $300 (I haven't found a bi-fuel kit for mower engines yet--which would be more practical). A small, less than 3 gallon gasoline equivalent (gge) 3600 psi natural gas tank is at least $350 and weighs about 100 lbs (lighter ones in the 40 -50 lbs range are available, but cost 2-3 times more). Then you will need special mounting straps not to damage the tank ($150+), a 3600 psi valve (over $100), a high pressure regulator (over $100), low pressure regulator, pressure gauge, fill valve and safety, lots of hoses and fittings, etc.

Then, to fill your tank you will either need a commercial natural gas fueling station (which may prohibit the fueling of your mower) or a home refueling appliance (HRA) which will set you back at least $4000 plus installation and may only be able compress only about 8 gge of nat gas per night. Next generation HRA are in development (2 year eta) and should be cheaper.

Natural gas burns hotter than, which might be a problem in mower engines. Engines speced for it have special valves. Similar stationary small engines burn it, however.

I'll revisit the idea of CNG when the new HRA's are released. It is interesting because it could save about $4000 in fuel costs over the life of a mower (2000 hours x 1 gal/hr x $2/gal) at current gasoline and CNG prices--even more if gasoline increases.

It looks like Dixie Choppers CNG mower was not a commercial success. They are not listed for sale. Did anyone buy one, or where they just a concept mower?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Cng

I would think the CNG Fule tank would cost more than you could ever save on the mowers life?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A fairly fuel efficient Z (such as my 800 lbs stander) burns 1 gallon of gas per hour, or 2000+ gallons over it's lifetime or $7000+ worth of gas at current prices. A small steel cng tank about $400, while a lighter carbon fiber one is $800 or so. They last for 20 years, so if you wear out a mower every 5 years, you could reuse the tank on multiple mowers.