Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Any Spring Overseeding Success Stories Yet?

We don't have any Crabgrass around here, but niether has the seed applied this Spring germinated either...
Is anyone else out there growing grass???
Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't done any overseeding yet, i usually wait till then end of april to throw down any seed. I dunno why i do wait till then but i always seem to have all my jobs for seeding done then
Old 04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Smallaxe,

Yes, in Grafton, WI. There was a handful of days in the middle of March that got into the high 70's, but it's been mid-50's and below since.

Thus far, I have not seen any crabgrass, but I'm not all that good at spotting it until it's too late.

On 3/12, I overseeded two neighboring sections of shaded lawn, separated by a chain link fence.

The procedure I used was to spread by hand Seed Express SS6000 (Predator hard fescue, Zodiac chewings fescue, Garnet creeping red fescue, Intrigue chewings fescue and Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass). I top-dressed that with a thin layer of topsoil, which I spread with the back of a garden rake. A week ago, I finally had the time to put out two daisy-chained impact sprinklers on one of the two sections, irrigating for ten minutes at 7AM, noon, and 5PM.

Both the irrigated and non-irrigated sections have new grass about an inch tall. However, the irrigated section has twice the germination of the non-irrigated section.

I know that amount of irrigation seems light, but last year I found that the areas that received at least some, but not much irrigation had much better germination rates than those areas that received non or lots of irrigation.

The big question is when I should put down Dimension. Given the seed I put down contains several different cultivars, I doubt they have all germinated. I may just skip the first app of Dimension on just these two sections of lawn to give all the cultivars a chance to germinate, and use Drive on any crab that comes up before the second app.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have plenty of crabgrass up around here. However, the weather has cooled off so it is growing somewhat slowly. I could have overseeded during the warm spell, 87 two weeks ago. But I did not.

But I did start some 2 by 10 foot plots this week. Light rake and throw down seed.

In small pots I used Dimension to treat new grass that was only 2 inches tall. So far no sign of injury to the grass. (I am sure it is mainly rye).
Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle how do you have loads of crabgrass? None here so far (usually my bare dirt full sun garden gets it pretty quickly but none yet). Now with temps in the low 60's/upper 50's and overnight temps in the 30's, don't anticipate crab to be a problem for a while now. That said, I am using Dimension this season just in case, split app.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
Smallaxe,

Yes, in Grafton, WI. There was a handful of days in the middle of March that got into the high 70's, but it's been mid-50's and below since.

Thus far, I have not seen any crabgrass, but I'm not all that good at spotting it until it's too late.

On 3/12, I overseeded two neighboring sections of shaded lawn, separated by a chain link fence.

The procedure I used was to spread by hand Seed Express SS6000 (Predator hard fescue, Zodiac chewings fescue, Garnet creeping red fescue, Intrigue chewings fescue and Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass). I top-dressed that with a thin layer of topsoil, which I spread with the back of a garden rake. A week ago, I finally had the time to put out two daisy-chained impact sprinklers on one of the two sections, irrigating for ten minutes at 7AM, noon, and 5PM.

Both the irrigated and non-irrigated sections have new grass about an inch tall. However, the irrigated section has twice the germination of the non-irrigated section.

I know that amount of irrigation seems light, but last year I found that the areas that received at least some, but not much irrigation had much better germination rates than those areas that received non or lots of irrigation.

The big question is when I should put down Dimension. Given the seed I put down contains several different cultivars, I doubt they have all germinated. I may just skip the first app of Dimension on just these two sections of lawn to give all the cultivars a chance to germinate, and use Drive on any crab that comes up before the second app.
Not sure which direction Grafton is from here(I don't get out much), but I must say that if we had any CG above ground, it would be dead now from the frost... and even colder tonite... fortunately fescues and KBG will be fine, well into the lower teens...

I will continue to wait for germination with what's there, but will try again after the 1st app of pre-m has gone through... Unfortunately I don't control the squirt&fert on this lawn...
Thanks for the story, it is good to know that somewhere in Wisco, Spring germination is happening...
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did some late seeding in the fall and it has actually come up quite nicely for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post
I did some late seeding in the fall and it has actually come up quite nicely for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device
Here too... the dormant seeding came up great, but seed I've placed this Spring,,, not so well, yet...
Another hard frost last nite, with parts of my garden being white, with a possible crust, at sunrise...
Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dormant seeding sowed March 6th 2012, as a test in an outdoor flower pot (plunged 2 inches deep in soil) is up. But weather had record warmth around here.

Frost at 29 degrees her last night April 5th. There was a slight film of ice on rain water collection bucket, but so far, no damage to crabgrass across the street.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think I seeded on March 11 and didn't consider it "dormant" seeding, in that the soil was thawed, never to freeze again, and the air temps stayed above 29 degrees for the remainder of the month...

I'm going to do what you just indicated, once it warms up... I'll make some aeration holes in the garden and dump seed to see what happens through the course of the season... I do have doll plugs on some of my lawns, to watch... but here I'll have better understanding of what is happening...

Is that CG across the street getting larger???