The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Learning curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I had similar intentions 6 or so years ago. I wanted to get started in lawn maintenance but kept my hole in the wall job. I even scouted out for customers at one point to see if I could get a few and they were there. I just couldn't drop what I was doing to make a go at it. I finally did it a few years later and now I'm loving it. I'm growing slow but steady. I too have read just about all the threads I felt I needed to read to learn and understand the business aspect. I now have a good grasp on everything and things are getting better each year. If only the other guys that want to get started would just read about what it is they are trying to learn and understand, it would make it a lot easier to read threads. I mean, when the same EXACT question is asked 3 times a week because they're to lazy to take the time to go through the threads and actually LOOK for what they need, it gets old fast.
I have read tons on this site already and its only been maybe a week ive had the account although i read before i started my own account and this site is awesome because everytime i post a question i know its already been asked and most of the time i look for it but either within 4 hours i have 10 replys and i think giving someyone the link to the old thread is the best so they can read throught it
Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

new

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post

This thread should be a sticky. Thanks Procut for saying what many wouldn't dare to say.

When I joined this site it didn't take me long to figure out the failure rate had to be high in this industry. We have no standards, no baseline to identify problems, very few - if any - educational/licensing requirements, and any able body can get set up to do 'business'.

Knowing that many here - and I mean many, if not most - don't know the difference between a P&L and a balance sheet, gross earnings versus net, let alone the implications of their cash flow on their operation, is not encouraging.

It's sad, really.

I would agree many peoplle on the site are not very well informed on those things me included and i like procut because these are now making what i want to do more realistic. I like the job alot even when it is physically demanding but this thread makes it seem as though noyone can make it in this buisness i havent read one person who said they grew to fast and then slimmed down and then grew slow and smart and made it. Most people are saying they grew to fast and then they failed and never looked backed and i would like to hear more about what people did to correct themselves or what they should have dont differently. I want to grow big eventually and i want to be realistic but i now after this thread it seems it cant be done
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Great info, thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnerM View Post
I would agree many peoplle on the site are not very well informed on those things me included and i like procut because these are now making what i want to do more realistic. I like the job alot even when it is physically demanding but this thread makes it seem as though noyone can make it in this buisness i havent read one person who said they grew to fast and then slimmed down and then grew slow and smart and made it. Most people are saying they grew to fast and then they failed and never looked backed and i would like to hear more about what people did to correct themselves or what they should have dont differently. I want to grow big eventually and i want to be realistic but i now after this thread it seems it cant be done
It can be done, and I think the biggest point being missed in his explanation was that he had a Medium sized business.

I call it business limbo. Basically you grow to a medium size, but you aren't necessarily making or profiting anymore than you did as a smaller company. It's just a matter of getting over that hurdle.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
Like I said we can pick apart individual things all throughout the story.

If it wasnt 1000 shop it would be something else.

This board is full of guys right now that have a trailer and mowers in their driveway and a dream.

Guys everyday posting that they are quitting their "regular job" and going full time into this.

Guys that have no idea what awaits them.
lots of people run a business from home. Been doin it for years. Sounds like you're trying to discourage everyone.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnerM View Post
I do not like to see these kind of reactions to this thread. The truth is there is a high failure rate in small businesses, but those that do make it provide a rewarding career for the owner and his employees.

There are many resources available to the small business owner, including this one. I have often read threads that talk about how to calculate operation costs, and then the same person posts his failure story and it is clear that he did not take his own advice.

Learn all you can. Leave nothing to chance. Calculate and prepare for the worst possible scenario. Do not take yesterday's success for granted. Work hard and foster good customer relationships. Do these simple things and you can succeed beyond your hopes.

Oh, and one other thing, read and post on the success story threads. This story was predictable eight ways to Sunday, the final chapter was no surprise to anyone but the author.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So to summarize the thread, give up, and stop coming to this site, because apparently you have no chance in this business. Homeowner mower sales will sky rocket now!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
So to summarize the thread, give up, and stop coming to this site, because apparently you have no chance in this business. Homeowner mower sales will sky rocket now!
I mow part time and would not recommend it to anyone. There is alaways a guy mowing for cheaper and maybe 10 waiting for your lawn. what is the point?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
I mow part time and would not recommend it to anyone. There is alaways a guy mowing for cheaper and maybe 10 waiting for your lawn. what is the point?
My mechanic is far from the cheapest, but I would not let anyone else work on my truck, even for free. People say the same thing about their babysitters, cleaning services, doctors, barbers, etc. Some people would say this about me and my lawn and garden services. And that is the point.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkintheGarden View Post
I do not like to see these kind of reactions to this thread. The truth is there is a high failure rate in small businesses, but those that do make it provide a rewarding career for the owner and his employees.

There are many resources available to the small business owner, including this one. I have often read threads that talk about how to calculate operation costs, and then the same person posts his failure story and it is clear that he did not take his own advice.

Learn all you can. Leave nothing to chance. Calculate and prepare for the worst possible scenario. Do not take yesterday's success for granted. Work hard and foster good customer relationships. Do these simple things and you can succeed beyond your hopes.

Oh, and one other thing, read and post on the success story threads. This story was predictable eight ways to Sunday, the final chapter was no surprise to anyo

ne but the author.
Yep. Prepare for the worst is a very true statement, most people don't. This thread is tired, it needs to be retired.
Posted via Mobile Device
Toro super recycler
Husky trimmers
Echo trimmers
Husky BP blower
DR commercial brushmower-17HP Kaw/30" deck
Echo stick edger
Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 F-150 Supercrew
Closed Thread